Really Where Is This Pic Taken

media

YES! YOU HAVE NAILED THIS ONE FOR SURE ALLEX.. It is as you say Naklua soi 5 on the right. the same as your pic Naklua3.jpg

The buildings still line up, the roof tops of some the buildings are still the same. And even some of the telegraph poles are also the same, look at the pole just to the right of the lady on the bike. its in the "naklua3.jpg" that you just took. I dont think there is any doubt left now.

As for the other pic. I do think its Naklua, not walking street, how many times do you ever see a tree in the middle of a road!? IT MUST BE NAKLUA

plus everything lines up AND the Tree looks to exactly the same type, not sure what tree it is but its the same. the road is the same width still in both pics.

NanLaew must be mistaken? the tree has not got smaller.

can someone get a Thai to read the sign next to blue pick up truck? my GF can only make out the word "Interesting" and "public" on the sign. I know some people who are from Pattaya. I will have to ask them if they know. 1 guy is about 45 and he is from Naklua. he might be too young to help.

I wonder if "chuckd" has got any pics from his 1976 visit?

By the way, for the record I did indeed mean radio stn hill, but for some reason a lot of people call it also buddha hill even though the other hill os the 1 with the big buddha and the long dragon on the stairs.

YES i fully agree, but just because all the clouds in the sky are matching 100%.

Seriously, there is no way of knowing. Take it what it is claimed to be as that description propably came from whoever took the picture in -68...

When I was a young pup of 21 and in the US Air Force we were TDY to Utapao for several months and used Pattaya as a weekend party place.

I wish I had photos from then but only shots of BKK and Satahip. I have been asking old comrades if they have any to send me.

When we drank and rode motorbikes in Pattaya in 66' , there most definitely was a big tree in the middle of the intersection just before the bars and restaurant. The old restaurant was named Barbo's, it was just past the tree a short distance and they had at least one ski boat at the time as it is the first place I ever waterskiied.

Where the tree was and the intersection in relation to the layout of today? No sure answer on that but I want to think the tree was at the now entrance to Walking Street

You see a hill in that picture??

if you smoke, snuff or swallow enough illegal stuff you see the hill and at the top of the hill a thai family enjoying their picnic.

joke aside, this is a look from walking street towards north. it looked the same when i saw it first time in 1972.

i think alwso that allexx is correct only if he would have stood infront of naklua soi 5 then he would get the correct angle.

only now you can not see so much of the view in the background. but for sure he is correct.

i think alwso that allexx is correct only if he would have stood infront of naklua soi 5 then he would get the correct angle.

only now you can not see so much of the view in the background. but for sure he is correct.

That picture is quite well known.

Though I have only lived here for 16 years had the privilege of knowing Ed Headly(?) and Dolf Riks, pioneers of this town. Ed built the Tropicana with Thai partners and had a restaurant in South Pattaya. Dolf got here about 45 years ago and had restaurants in South and North Pattaya then Naklua. he was my neighbour for 10 years.

The photo is the junction of Beach Road and South Pattaya Road where Ed's restaurant was.

Here are the 2 pics merged. One at 30% opacity on the old photo and one at 60%. They are lined up using the power pole on the right side and rough fit by the road. If the new one were shot from somewhere around the back of the yellow bike, the angles would match better and it would show if the peaked roof matches up. The triangular roof on the right side that's reddish in the old photo and grey in the new one.

The road seems to line up, including the unusual wide area that narrows after the power pole. In the new photo, there appears to be a similar area where the food cart and a motorcycle are parked. No curb is visible in the new photo but it looks like it could be a similar rectangular cut.

Another unusual commonality is the wire running diagonally above the road from the power pole. In the old photo, it runs to an unseen pole that would be off the left and maybe behind the photographer. In the new one the pole is visible.

post-25148-1244373247_thumb.jpg

post-25148-1244373262_thumb.jpg

sattahip your pioneer mates must have access to some bygone pattaya photos that would be really interesting to us all??

Im sure we would all love to see some.. i cant belive that this few old pics is all that exists. they have been on Thai visa for years now but no new ones have appeared..

anyway, I think that is has now been proved that this photo is in naklua soi 5, the buildings line up really well. the only strange thing is what looks to be a hill in the middle far view.. there is no hill in that direction of naklua.

:)

That picture is quite well known.

Though I have only lived here for 16 years had the privilege of knowing Ed Headly(?) and Dolf Riks, pioneers of this town. Ed built the Tropicana with Thai partners and had a restaurant in South Pattaya. Dolf got here about 45 years ago and had restaurants in South and North Pattaya then Naklua. he was my neighbour for 10 years.

The photo is the junction of Beach Road and South Pattaya Road where Ed's restaurant was.

compare all 3 of these there are so many similarities.

look at the buildings on the left of Pattaya3.jpg and Pattaya4.jpg they are the same. (if you cant see it straight away keep looking and you will see)

The buildings have changed slightly but

So basically the guy who originally "wrote Pattaya Main drag" on this photo has confused everybody all these years :)

The photo is Soi 5 Naklua looking towards bangkok.

post-36578-1244398983_thumb.jpg

post-36578-1244399018_thumb.jpg

post-36578-1244399380_thumb.jpg

Edited by media