Really Where Is This Pic Taken

media

Where Really is this pic taken.?

in the background you can see buddha hill, so its not looking towards north pattaya or beach road..

In the original post of this pic it states

"This shot was taken at the junction of where Beach Road, "Walking Street" and Pattaya Tai meet......1968"

But this can not be correct.. if it is correct Where is pattaya Tai?

with the view of buddha hill it kind of looks like its looking up walking street.

but that doesnt explain what looks to be a road going to the right?

If it is buddha hill in the background it means that this pic is taken in walking street which would tally up as in 1968 second road would be a dirt track without shops etc yet?post-36578-1244183954_thumb.jpg

Edited by media

in the background you can see buddha hill, so its not looking towards north pattaya or beach road..

"This shot was taken at the junction of where Beach Road, "Walking Street" and Pattaya Tai meet......1968"

with the view of buddha hill it kind of looks like its looking up walking street.

If it is buddha hill in the background it means that this pic is taken in walking street which would tally up as in 1968 second road would be a dirt track without shops etc yet?post-36578-1244183954_thumb.jpg

This pic was used in a Dutch forum some years ago, regarding some kind of contest.

Seems to be Walking Street in the 60's.

I have seen this on the pinned section Pattaya Images

Here is the link look at Post #15

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Images-Pattaya-t51511.html

Can any one name the first car on the Left hand side ..Clue Ford.....?

Reason for edit..Forgot the lnk i mean the link

Edited by tigerbalm

How about this?

Looks like Naklua Road with on the right side the 'old' Naklua Market.

The tree in the middle of the road is still there.

But it's just a guess.

Naklua today.

On the left side the 'old' Naklua Market.

post-1360-1244200024_thumb.jpg

hey PattayaParent and aussiechick, look carefully, in the middle of the road at the far view. you can just make out what looks to be bhudda hill.

click on the image, make it large. can anyone else confirm that they can see this??

Before walking st was heavilly built up, You used to be able to clearly see buddha hill from anywhere in walking st. as also you could from second road by the school. before buildings blocked the view.

I wonder if anyone knows what year they started building on both sides of walking street. Im guessing that they originally had shops only on the left side i guess it would just be beach road then..

my guess is that it is the pic is walking st.

If anyone wants to see some other interesting bygone pics of pattaya they can see some on the wall in the cafe/restaurant 20 metres on the left hand side on beach road as you turn the sharp bend at walking st. its the restaurant that has duck and chicken hanging in a glass cabinet out front.

Shame there isnt a Pattaya Museum.. it would be really popular having lived here for 10 yrs I am interested in the history here as i know a lot of people are.

How about this?

Looks like Naklua Road with on the right side the 'old' Naklua Market.

The tree in the middle of the road is still there.

But it's just a guess.

Naklua today.

On the left side the 'old' Naklua Market.

post-1360-1244200024_thumb.jpg

Good shout farangpattaya thats the same spot for sure, i prefer it before though.

Walking street. Part of the old email going around few years now with two pics on it. Walking street in -68 and -08...

hey PattayaParent and aussiechick, look carefully, in the middle of the road at the far view. you can just make out what looks to be bhudda hill.

click on the image, make it large. can anyone else confirm that they can see this??

Before walking st was heavilly built up, You used to be able to clearly see buddha hill from anywhere in walking st. as also you could from second road by the school. before buildings blocked the view.

You need a very good imagination to see Bhudda Hill in that photo.

I wonder if anyone knows what year they started building on both sides of walking street. Im guessing that they originally had shops only on the left side i guess it would just be beach road then..

My first visit was in early 1976 and Walking Street was already built up on both sides to some extent.

How about this?

That IS Beach road at the entrance to WS looking south. You can see the outline of Buddha Hilll through the tree foliage. That big tree used to be opposite the old police box and the pickup off to the right is where the sewage treatment plant is now located. Note the size of the tree in the 'old' picture compared with the 'new' Naklua market tree. Do trees get smaller here?

Edited by NanLaew

Walking street. Part of the old email going around few years now with two pics on it. Walking street in -68 and -08...

Not Walking Street. It's Naklua.

Naklua soi 5 on the right.

post-1360-1244212035_thumb.jpg

I see what looks like a hill behind the woman on the bikes head. Zoomed in, it appears to be covered in trees. I had originally thought this was a downhill shot looking toward the ocean, but then the "ocean" isn't level.

Not Walking Street. It's Naklua.

Naklua soi 5 on the right.

post-1360-1244212035_thumb.jpg

YES! YOU HAVE NAILED THIS ONE FOR SURE ALLEX.. It is as you say Naklua soi 5 on the right. the same as your pic Naklua3.jpg

The buildings still line up, the roof tops of some the buildings are still the same. And even some of the telegraph poles are also the same, look at the pole just to the right of the lady on the bike. its in the "naklua3.jpg" that you just took. I dont think there is any doubt left now.

As for the other pic. I do think its Naklua, not walking street, how many times do you ever see a tree in the middle of a road!? IT MUST BE NAKLUA

plus everything lines up AND the Tree looks to exactly the same type, not sure what tree it is but its the same. the road is the same width still in both pics.

NanLaew must be mistaken? the tree has not got smaller.

can someone get a Thai to read the sign next to blue pick up truck? my GF can only make out the word "Interesting" and "public" on the sign. I know some people who are from Pattaya. I will have to ask them if they know. 1 guy is about 45 and he is from Naklua. he might be too young to help.

I wonder if "chuckd" has got any pics from his 1976 visit?

By the way, for the record I did indeed mean radio stn hill, but for some reason a lot of people call it also buddha hill even though the other hill os the 1 with the big buddha and the long dragon on the stairs.

Edited by media

My first visit was in early 1976 and Walking Street was already built up on both sides to some extent.

Chuck do you have any pics from your 1976 visit? and can you confirm, was there a large tree in the road at the walking street junction?

Sorry, no pictures. I do not recall any trees near the entrance to Walking Street then. There was a large tree about half-way to the end of WS on the right. It is still there now and was there then, as I recall.

Alexx has it right with the picture he posted. The taller roof lines match on the right side of the street. Too much of a coincidence not to be true.

Edit in:

Methinks Alexx also has it right with the second picture. While the tree may appear smaller, it really isn't. It appears to have been trimmed during the years so as to not interfere with utility lines, traffic, etc. The tree trunk itself, appears much larger and broader in the second picture.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by chuckd

IMO that is not walking street , was there in 68 , mainly compressed dirt & no tree I can remember except at Naklua.

Long time ago though & I was on R&R & mainly night sight seeing.

:)