Triple Entry (x3) Tourist Visa Vientiane

I tried for a triple entry tourist visa in Vientiane on Dec 16, 2009.

No go. They won't issue them while tourist visas are free.

So what did you get?

I am wondering whether to try for a single or double entry there early next month.

Can I get reliable info anywhere but the embassy or should I just ask when I apply ?

RAW.

I normally go for double entry tourist visas. I thought I'd try for a 3-entry but they told me at the application window that I can only get 2 entries maximum.

No you are not right. If you arrive by air you will get 30 day visa exempt and if you arrive by land 15 day visa exempt but if you have a tourist visa for Thailand (on most passports) you will get a 60 day stay regardless of entry method. It has nothing to do with visas to Laos.

We went to Laos last november on the 28th and stayed there for 4 days. It was told to us by people who get you across the Thai-Laos bridge, because I had some problems back home getting a visa for my daughter (She's only 4 and doesn't need a visa btw) and therefor didn't get one myself ---> figure the b*tch at the consulate.

We were to return home on 16th december, so the advise was to stay in Laos until 1st december. When i got the stamps needed, it was only valid until 15th !! 1 day short !!

Visa runs are being taken care of --> new policy of the gouverment because too many farang took (dis)advantage of it. Anyway, everything went okay at the customs at the airport.

What i want to tell here is tht the new law is as follows :

If you cross the border by land you get 15 days visa

if you go by air then you get the 30 days extention.

So, in my experience just a few weeks ago, there's no extention for 60 days. My friend had a tourist visa and still got only 15 days.

Ofcourse it could be that we got played here, in that case I apologize my reply to your quote.

:)

There has never been a tourist visa extension for 60 days - that is only a special extension to visit Thai wife or child provision from Immigration . A tourist visa entry is 60 days on most passports and that stay can be extended another 30 days at immigration (not by crossing the border) for 1,900 baht. Visa exempt entry is as you wrote above.

I am going to Vientiane in early Feb but just for tourism, not for visa. I hope this will not affect me in a negative way when I go to KL for my normal single entry tourist visa later in Feb. I didnt want to bother with the Laos embassy and possibility of getting red stamped as my passport has 1.5 years straight of non-Laos tourist visas inside.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I saw that thread when it first posted. According to George, the free TR is continuing in 2010. What I'm not clear on (sorry, maybe I'm dense), is if that means beyond March 2010? Because last I checked at the consulate web pages, they still say free TR thru 3/4/2010. I know that most consulates are pretty small outfits, so perhaps don't update their pages frequently enough to reflect any new developments.

Hello,

i am german and was trying to get a triple entry TR visa in vientiane, but when i gave my application form to the thai gov office guy then he corrected my applicationform to Double Entry Request only.... so i was getting a double entry TR visa then...

so my question, what magic do i need to get a triple entry visa ? :-)

thx for any hints....

FlyingSaucer

Hello,

i am german and was trying to get a triple entry TR visa in vientiane, but when i gave my application form to the thai gov office guy then he corrected my applicationform to Double Entry Request only.... so i was getting a double entry TR visa then...

so my question, what magic do i need to get a triple entry visa ? :-)

thx for any hints....

FlyingSaucer

Wait until March 5 and pay 3000 baht. It won't be of much use though because the validity will still only be 3 months.

• 1 month later...

With a triple entry you can extend it to almost 3 months.

1st entry 60 + 30 day extension

2nd entry 60 + 30 day extension

Dont use the full 30 days but go out 1 or two days before as a triple entry tourist visa can be used untill 6 months after the first entry.

So just before those 6 months end you do a visa run and come back in on your 3rd entry. After 60 days you can again apply for a 30 day extension.

All together you will be fine for almost 9 months.

It depends upon the consulate and the expiry date placed on the visa. Some consulates issue triple entry visa with a 180 day use by date, some (Vientiane included) with 90 day use by date. 180 day use by date would, with careful timing, offer nearly 9 months stay. 90 day use by date would offer at best nearly 6 months stay. For Vientiane there is no advantage in obtaining triple entry tourist visa over a double entry tourist visa unless you plan to travel as it does not offer more time.

a triple entry tourist visa can be used untill 6 months after the first entry.

Totally false information. A visa validity starts on issue - not on entry. Only if entry is made on the day of issue - and the issue period was six months - would above be true.