Eea Fp Rights?

I am a duel national: UK / Dutch.

Wife and daughter are Thai, have an EEA Family permit on the grounds I am a dual national.

Holding an EEA Family permit will my wife and daughter be allowed to join me to a trip to Holland or will I need another visa?

I assume that you are currently living in the UK.

I am not totally up to speed with the rules on EEA family permits with regards to visits to other EEA states, and no nothing of the Dutch immigration rules. I think that as this is for a visit that your wife will need a Schengen visa from the Dutch embassy in London. As she is the wife of an EEA national this should be free and a mere formality.

Howevr, as she holds an EEA family permit and will be travelling with you then this may be sufficient. However, it does appear a grey area and were I in your position I would not want to risk being turned back at the Dutch border, especially as a Schengen visa should be easy to obtain, and free.

See Do I require a visa for the Netherlands?

What nationality is your daughter? She is certainly entitled to both British and Thai nationality and I suspect Dutch nationality rules mean she could be Dutch as well. If she has a British or Dutch passport then she will obviously not need any type of visa to enter the Netherlands. If she only has a Thai passport then she will need the same as her mother.

Edited by 7by7

Hi Pilgrim,

I am surprised and therefore curious, how you have managed to obtain Dual Nationality; UK / Dutch.

Dutch law dictates that as soon as you acquire the nationality of another country, your Dutch Nationality is automatically revoked.

Dutch law does not allow its citizens to hold multiple nationalities, except in a very few circumstances, these often involve citizens from Turkey and Morocco.

I too would be entitled to receive British citizenship but have always refused on these grounds, as I like to keep my Dutch citizenship.

However, if I can hold both, I am up for it.

With regards to your original question and if you read Dutch, there is a very useful web-board / forum, under the name: "recht op gezinshereniging", dealing with the very issues you are asking about.

The rules seem far easier and more relaxed if you go the EEA route, however, you have to do it via the UK. The fact that you hold a Dutch passport might throw a spanner in the works?

I'll be interested to see how this goes and wish you all the best.

Veel geluk!

Frm-Bkk

Edited by FRM-BKK

I neglected to say that they both hold Residency permits with 5yrs on them... woops

I assume that you are currently living in the UK.

I am not totally up to speed with the rules on EEA family permits with regards to visits to other EEA states, and no nothing of the Dutch immigration rules. I think that as this is for a visit that your wife will need a Schengen visa from the Dutch embassy in London. As she is the wife of an EEA national this should be free and a mere formality.

Howevr, as she holds an EEA family permit and will be travelling with you then this may be sufficient. However, it does appear a grey area and were I in your position I would not want to risk being turned back at the Dutch border, especially as a Schengen visa should be easy to obtain, and free.

See Do I require a visa for the Netherlands?

What nationality is your daughter? She is certainly entitled to both British and Thai nationality and I suspect Dutch nationality rules mean she could be Dutch as well. If she has a British or Dutch passport then she will obviously not need any type of visa to enter the Netherlands. If she only has a Thai passport then she will need the same as her mother.

Now as 7by7 said I may entitled to 3 nationalities for my daughter but I don’t think I shall go down that route, and I am not sure if she would be entitled to Dutch as I think you need to be born in Holland to qualify and I'm not to bothered.

The funny thing is I had a real drama applying for my daughters passport because my nationalisation certificate had a section 3 on of the points and the embassy refused to process the application further until I had registered her birth so if I wait 5 years she will be automatically entitled to a passport in UK by default so I shall go down that route as I have all the paperwork I need to stay and travel.

Hi Pilgrim,

I am surprised and therefore curious, how you have managed to obtain Dual Nationality; UK / Dutch.

Dutch law dictates that as soon as you acquire the nationality of another country, your Dutch Nationality is automatically revoked.

Dutch law does not allow its citizens to hold multiple nationalities, except in a very few circumstances, these often involve citizens from Turkey and Morocco.

I too would be entitled to receive British citizenship but have always refused on these grounds, as I like to keep my Dutch citizenship.

With regards to your original question and if you read Dutch, there is a very useful web-board / forum, under the name: "recht op gezinshereniging", dealing with the very issues you are asking about.

The rules seem far easier and more relaxed if you go the EEA route, however, you have to do it via the UK. The fact that you hold a Dutch passport might throw a spanner in the works?

Veel geluk!

Frm-Bkk

I gained duel nationality as a minor, so when I was under the age of 18 my mother nationalised me as a Brit, at the time I was holding a Dutch passport and my father was and still is a resident in Holland. As I wasn’t an adult or the decision wasn’t viewed as consensual I was able to reapply for my Dutch passport.

Hi Pilgrim,

Veel geluk!

Frm-Bkk

You have to make a distinction bewteen cases where somebody applies for another nationality out of his own free will and the situation in which someone also has another nationality by way of law. For instance when the mother is Thai and the fahter is Dutch a person will have both nationality as the nationality law of both countries state that you gain their nationality when of of your parents is a national of that county. You can't choose, you just have it.

When someone chooses to get another nationality then you lose Dutch nationality, with a few exceptions. Like in the case when for instance you adopt the nationality of your spouse.