"pulled A Muscle" In Thai

janejira

Can be เคล็ด, เคล็ดขัดยอก. In Thai language you should specify the trouble part.

ie.

I threw the ball too hard and I had เคล็ด arm.

So would we say something like this? ผมยิงลูกบอลแรงเหลือเกิน แล้ว ได้เคล็ดแขน (pŏm ying lôok-bon raeng lĕua gern láew dâai klét kăen)

Thai2English gives definitions of sprain; twist; wrench.

For sprains, rolled ankles and things I remember using พลิก for rolled ankles, twisted wrists and things. We had a short discussion on this a while back (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Sprained-Ankle-t140978.html) but without a conclusion. What is the context in which we would use the two words. Does เคล็บ imply a more sever injury as was suggested in the prior thread?

Also, the definition above all has a turning motion to the action, is เคล็ด still used for things like a pulled hamstring that doesn't involve any twisting or turning? Could we say ตอนเช้าวันนี้ผมไปวิ่ง แล้ว ผมเคล็ดร้อยหวาย (mêua dton cháo wan née pŏm bpai wîng láe klét rói wăai)

เคล็ด is more assiciated with joint such as shoulder joint. But in speaking language it can be generally used to describe the limb pain especially from quick/too hard motion like that in your sample.

For muscle, it you know or think that there is light muscle damage you can also say อักเสบ ie. กล้ามเนื้ออักเสบ

For muscle strain but no evidence of damage you can say ปวด ie. ปวดกล้ามแขน (Arm muscle pain) ie. เมื่อวานผมออกกำลังมากเกินไปจนวันนี้ยังปวดกล้ามแขนอยู่ (Yesterday I had too much exercise that I still have arm muscle pain today.)

For tendon it can be simply เจ็บ (pain) or อับเสบ

No need for word ได้ in the sentence . You just say ผมไปวิ่งตอนเช้าวันนี้แล้วเจ็บเอ็นร้อยหวาย (I went running this morning and had Achilles tendon pain.)

The word ยิง (shoot) is used whe there is shooting equipment ie. gun, bow etc. However, in sport like basket ball/football game Thai say "shoot" the ball ชู้ตลูกบาสเกตบอลลงห่วง / ยิงประตูฟุตบอล

Throwing with your hand is:

ขว้าง = over the shoulder throwing like baseball.

พุ่ง = throwing the long object normally lance or spear. It can be the act of throwing oneself abruptly. ie. นักรักบี้พุ่งออกไปยังทีมฝ่ายตรงกันข้าม (Rugby players throw themselves toward the other team). ie. รถพุ่งชนกำแพงอย่างแรง (The car crash violently into the wall.)

โยน = under the shoulder throwing like softball.

หยอด = under the arm light throw, suppose to place the ball/thing in a hole or container. หยอด can also be the act of directly insert small thing into the container without throwing .

"ขว้าง" is also associated with action of brute force. Another similar word is "ปา" this word has the sense of "hitting" something as well:

So ปาก้อนหิน = throw the rock.

And ปาบ้าน = throw something at the house, NOT throw the house.