Laptop Suddenly Unable To Connect To Wifi

onlooker

Acer Aspire 4535 AMD Athlon WinXP SP2

Was working fine until this morning. Got a blue screen when I first turned on laptop,so just restarted it and it came on OK. Seemed to be fine

Usually I just power up and it connects to my home wifi automatically. But now cannot. No connections visible when i click ' View Available connections'. Tried to refresh the list but still nothing shows.

When I try to repair I just get a message saying that.'following action cannot be completed - Connecting to the wireless network'

wifi itself was fine as i could use it with a spare laptop

I did a bit of Googling and figured that the driver might have got corrupted. So downloaded a new driver, then tried to update. End result was that now my wireless adaptor now seems to be missing.

In Deviuce Manager > Network Adapters there is no WAN controller

ANy ideas how to get wifi connectivity back?

Guest Reimar

Maybe you try Everest for to check the Hardware is still available or not. Everest can be downloaded from: http://www.lavalys.com/ as Trial version.

After installing Everest, run the program and you can check under the Summery tab the Hardware is available or not

If Everest fond the WiFi, may you reinstall to first the Acer Launch Manager. If the Launch Manger didn't work, the WiFi wouldn't work even after the driver is installed.

Please report back.

Dunno about your particular machine, but both my laptops have switches that turn off the Wi-fi adapter.

You didn't accidentally turn it off perchance (I've done it myself) :)

Guest Reimar
Dunno about your particular machine, but both my laptops have switches that turn off the Wi-fi adapter.

You didn't accidentally turn it off perchance (I've done it myself) :)

That's just true! Forget the nearest!!

I got the wireless network adapter back in device manager. Now showing with a yellow circle & with black exclamation mark on it.

Clicking 'Properties' shows that windows cant load the driver, driver may be corrupted or missing. In the 'Driver' tab it showe a correct driver, version 7.6.1.194.

I downloaded a newer version of the driver. 7.6.1.221. Then tried to update the driver. Now 'Driver' tab shows the new driver is installed. But on 'Properties' still get the same message that the driver may be corrupted or missing

OK after a restart it looks like windows has now decided that the driver itself is OK. But the problem in the Apadpter Properties is that 'windows cannot load the drivers required for the device (Code31)'

If I try to update the driver now, the message is that the update wizard cant find a better match than the driver that is installed.

So any ideas about how to get windows to load the drivers that it says are OK - but also says it cant load :)

Guest Reimar
OK after a restart it looks like windows has now decided that the driver itself is OK. But the problem in the Apadpter Properties is that 'windows cannot load the drivers required for the device (Code31)'

If I try to update the driver now, the message is that the update wizard cant find a better match than the driver that is installed.

So any ideas about how to get windows to load the drivers that it says are OK - but also says it cant load :)

Reinstall the Launch Manger! In my Acer 5593 the WiFi works only if the Launch Manager is installed! Same for the Bluetooth by the way!

Downloaded a new launch manager zip file & reinstalled it. Nothing changes. Still the same error message and wifi adaptor not working.

( No icon or anything showing for launch manager though - but never had one before as far as I remember.)

Downloaded a new launch manager zip file & reinstalled it. Nothing changes. Still the same error message and wifi adaptor not working.

( No icon or anything showing for launch manager though - but never had one before as far as I remember.)

This is a general advise what I would do if I had to solve this issue.

1 - Try a system restore (the last one that worked before the error occurred)

2- if this does not solve the problem go to Acers US web site an download the software suitable for your models WiFi adapter

3- open device manager and uninstall your wifi adapter

do NOT reboot

4 - Install the software you just have downloaded

- reboot

It it does not solve the issue revert to the restore point which worked and visit Acer... you might have a HW issue

Good luck

Edited by webfact

Guest Reimar

The Launch Manager is shown in Control Panel.

Have you checked with Everest and than to download a driver from the Manufacturer site of the WiFi Module?

If your Laptop still have warranty, I would check with the Acer Service Center. If not maybe you try a re-install of Windows XP! To shorten and make that procedure more easy, you may download from Microsoft Windows Easy Transfer for Windows XP for to save Data, Programs and Settings. The later without the driver for the WiFi!! You`ll need an external Drive or an Network Drive4 to to store the data!

Or, and some would hate me for that advice, you backup all your Data, download Windows 7 and install the Windows 7 RC. I had done that with my own Laptop and ALL works just out of the box incl. WiFi and Bluetooth without the need of the Launch Manager. The Download links for Windows 7 you can find in the pinned Windows 7 thread incl. the needed CD-Key (legal).

You can also PM me for more infos pp you may need.

Guest Reimar

This is a general advise what I would do if I had to solve this issue.

1 - Try a system restore (the last one that worked before the error occurred)

2- if this does not solve the problem go to Acers US web site an download the software suitable for your models WiFi adapter

3- open device manager and uninstall your wifi adapter

do NOT reboot

4 - Install the software you just have downloaded

- reboot

It it does not solve the issue revert to the restore point which worked and visit Acer... you might have a HW issue

Good luck

A bit crazy but at the time I bought my Acer 5593, the only place where I was able to get working driver from were from Acer Germany! some models produced in Asia, didn't have support in USA!

I believe there are two diffferent wireless cards that were used for this model. Some of this model had Atheros wireless and some had Ralink, so we need to know which you have. The tool that Reimar mentioned will also help to identify which wifi you have. It's possible that at some point during this process the wrong driver was installed.

If Ralink, try this driver:

If Atheros, try this driver.

A bit crazy but at the time I bought my Acer 5593, the only place where I was able to get working driver from were from Acer Germany! some models produced in Asia, didn't have support in USA!

This is the same for a dlink router i have. All the other international sites stopped updating firmware but there are many newer versions on the the D-Link German site...

Edited by Veazer

No Launch Manager in my control panel. But never mind.

Tonight I'll try reinstalling XP or maybe Win7 and see how it goes. If not then a day trip to Acer is in order.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Guest Reimar
But to download you'll need to have a genuine XP version.

Cheers.

is there anybody on this board that hasn't? :)

Oopsala and trallala!! :D