Grandparents Who Turn Kids Into Pushers

george

Grandparents who turn kids into pushers

The illegal trade of amphetamine tablets in Amnat Charoen is rampant and so lucrative that a couple of grandparents have invested in it and, to avoid arrest or detection by police, use their grand daughter as a drug courier.

The girl often runs the drug in school uniform to minimise attracting police attention, according to provincial officials. Teachers at her school, in Pathum Ratchawongsa, were well aware of the practice, but preferred to stay silent for fear of their lives.

Teachers claim that when they brought up the issue of drugs in class, as a way to indirectly warn students about the trade, their cars in the school compound were scratched and their homes became targets for missiles thrown at night, allegedly by the grandparents' colleagues.

Despite concern for their own lives and welfare, teachers agreed not to complain to police because the girl, an 11-year-old tenth grader, would also face legal action. She relies on her grandparents while her parents work and live in Bangkok.

Sources say the grandparents make appointments with sub-agents and have the girl deliver drugs to secret meeting points - mostly located along Prasert-Khammaraj Road in neighbouring Ubon Ratchathani, or even in school, including its canteen. The girl excuses herself from class, if urgent deliveries are needed.

More worrying - says a school executive who identifies himself only as Chai - is that other parents have begun to invest in the drug trade after securing a number of clients, including classmates of their own children.

A source said he had learned the girl's older brother, a high school student, had also been made a drug runner by the grandparents. He has been told to seek customers among schoolmates, who have a greater tendency to consume amphetamines than primary school students.

Sawian Som-in, a member of the provincial chamber of commerce, blamed legal leniency in the criminal law for prompting children to be exploited by such abusive guardians.

Provincial governor Bunsanong Bunmee said he was working hard to tackle the drugs problem and blamed illegal migration and human racketeering as main reasons behind the rampant abuse of amphetamines and other drugs.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-09

The article is somewhat sensationalist. I have no doubt that there some grandparents are pushers, but that's because even drug pushers get old. Odd that such an activity would go on this long. Thailand is a place where snitching is a lucrative job and surely someone would have snitched by now. Unless, the local constabulary is getting a cut. Tell me it aint so Nation, guardian of all that is pure.

Know what I like about the article? The regurgitation of of tried and true excuses;

Sawian Som-in, a member of the provincial chamber of commerce, blamed legal leniency in the criminal law for prompting children to be exploited by such abusive guardians.

How about trying a lack of proper policing, and an absence of community concern? If it is going on under the eyes of the authorities, it speaks to a complete absence of integrity and concern for society as a whole. Better to blame "leniency" than to say, hey no one cares. But the Thai government and elite does care, right? PAD says they do, so golly gee it has to be true.

Provincial governor Bunsanong Bunmee said he was working hard to tackle the drugs problem and blamed illegal migration and human racketeering as main reasons behind the rampant abuse of amphetamines and other drugs.

Ahh yes, the illegal immigrants and refugees are responsible excuse. Usually works. Why not just say it's the fault of the Burmese. If the governor is that concerned, then maybe he should have a word with the policy and military officials that don't seem to do anything at the border except shake down desperate refugees. Sorry, Mr. governor, I aint buying the story. I along with most people that have been in border aras have the belief that drugs do not get into Thailand without someone's hand getting greased. Clean up your police and military first if you want to take a bite out of crime.

Tell'em Officer McGruff sent you.

Child abuse? Wait you actually sarcastically blame an 11 year old girl that is doing what her grandparents who are raising her tell her to do? Guess she should be smart enough and brave enough to know better at 11 right? At 11 I was still playing with my imaginary friend, if my mom had told me to carry packages I would have done it. Are 11 year old victims of molestation/incest also somehow responsible for themselves and their fate? Surely this is not the thought process you were espousing.

As Mom would always say grandpa and grandma CAN NOT raise your kids that your job, WE, grandpa and grandma can only SPOIL them she said that in jest but in hind sight and from reading this post Mom was right ON the mark.

Why do some folks simply not get it? The grandparents were abused as kids, by all of the above - or so the excuse goes.

And no, I did not sarcastically blame the current victim - you did. Your entire read on this immature, childlike.

BR>Jack

Wait you actually sarcastically blame an 11 year old girl that is doing ......

I don't know a lot about forbidden substances, but a courier is not called pushers but runners, is it?

And yes, those involved in distributing drugs are getting older. Last week a 80 year old woman grandpa was caught in Pattaya.

Plenty of blame to go around in this thread:

1. The girl--if in fact she is 11 and a 10th grader--that makes her extremely intelligent. Intelligent enough not to be running drugs. But I think this one is an error.

2. The grandparents, of course, are the biggest problem, but, hey, it's a family-run business and might as well get the kids working when they are young.

3. The teachers: This group is quite disappointing and gutless. They know it's going on and yet like the rest of the community they ignore it. This girls life needs an abrupt about face and quickly--it will be the best education ever. Do they think when she is 16 or 18 or 35 she's not going to be doing the same thing? She is headed in a very, very wrong direction. Chances are the girl know it (at 11 that doesn't mean understands it) also. She has to careful and quiet. Whatever is in those packages isn't talked about and is worth money--that says a lot.

As teachers they should

a) refuse to have them in school - they have a duty to protect the other kids - when the proverbial hits the fan as the grandparents will no doubt complain that the school must provide an education - invite the local police chief to sit in and get it out in the open.

Personally i think the teachers are on the take in this too. Letting an 11 year old out of the class to deliver drugs and teachers stating they are scared of the grandparents - (80 years plus)

Think which the report fails to mention is the level of education at the school - If the students are all on drugs - have a random drug test and boot all the students who fail it out of the school and only readmit them when they have completed a rehab type course and help the parents with prevention strategies. Why should the students and parents who send their kids to school, sacrifice their opportunity to an education. Opportunities are scarce enough here anyway.

See if taksin were still in charge - those grandparents would be face down in a ditch with a bullet in their heads now - no questions asked !!!

Personally i think the teachers are on the take in this too. Letting an 11 year old out of the class to deliver drugs and teachers stating they are scared of the grandparents - (80 years plus)

I don't think it is stated anywhere that the grandparents are 80 years plus.

Could well be in their 50's.

I don't think it is stated anywhere that the grandparents are 80 years plus.

Could well be in their 50's.

even less than that, in their 40's. Not unusual in Thailand

Grandparents who turn kids into pushers

The illegal trade of amphetamine tablets in Amnat Charoen is rampant and so lucrative that a couple of grandparents have invested in it and, to avoid arrest or detection by police, use their grand daughter as a drug courier.

The girl often runs the drug in school uniform to minimise attracting police attention, according to provincial officials. Teachers at her school, in Pathum Ratchawongsa, were well aware of the practice, but preferred to stay silent for fear of their lives.

Teachers claim that when they brought up the issue of drugs in class, as a way to indirectly warn students about the trade, their cars in the school compound were scratched and their homes became targets for missiles thrown at night, allegedly by the grandparents' colleagues.

Despite concern for their own lives and welfare, teachers agreed not to complain to police because the girl, an 11-year-old tenth grader, would also face legal action. She relies on her grandparents while her parents work and live in Bangkok.

Sources say the grandparents make appointments with sub-agents and have the girl deliver drugs to secret meeting points - mostly located along Prasert-Khammaraj Road in neighbouring Ubon Ratchathani, or even in school, including its canteen. The girl excuses herself from class, if urgent deliveries are needed.

More worrying - says a school executive who identifies himself only as Chai - is that other parents have begun to invest in the drug trade after securing a number of clients, including classmates of their own children.

A source said he had learned the girl's older brother, a high school student, had also been made a drug runner by the grandparents. He has been told to seek customers among schoolmates, who have a greater tendency to consume amphetamines than primary school students.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-09

The girl became a 'pusher' used by their grandparents who made good money with a deadly drug. And that in a primary school? I was working in one for three years..holly shit. Teachers knew what was going on? Isn't it also a law in Thailand to inform the cops if you're their teacher? So teachers were watching that more and more little kids took Jaba? This story is so weird, the teachers, all who knew it should do another job. They totally failed.

I don't know a lot about forbidden substances, but a courier is not called pushers but runners, is it?

And yes, those involved in distributing drugs are getting older. Last week a 80 year old woman grandpa was caught in Pattaya.

what's a woman grandpa? :D:)