Acer Aspire Notebook Problem

colino

Ok i need some real help here ,, cause i an't got a clue whats happend

My laptop was ok then one day it came up with a blue screen on boot up and i cant remember what it said , and since then it will not Reboot , i have to turn it off then back on again ,, so this means even when i try a system restore it fails ,,

also some times it will not boot up ,,the bells and whistles kick in and the drive light flashes then it just stops ,, when this happens i have found the only way to get it to go is to hold down the power key until it shuts down then remove the power lead and then switch it back on ,and hey presto it boots

OK the next problem is i ran tune up utilities 2009 ,,this has come up with P C health.

1 problem Prefetch data deleted

how can i solve this problem any ideas please ,,

ok i am running windows xp 2gig ram intel core t5800

please I T guru's help me

many thanks

colino

can you boot an post the error message which appears on BSOD or any othe error message you can view?

I dont get the blue one all the time just now and then

but when i do a system restore it just says failed to complete

can you boot an post the error message which appears on BSOD or any othe error message you can view?

I dont get the blue one all the time just now and then

but when i do a system restore it just says failed to complete

Does it occur in SAFE MODE too?

yes and when ever i install any updates and it says need to re boot i click ok then it shuts down then the lights come on the HD flickers for a second or two and the screen stays black with no more HD activity

ps thanks for helping,col

Before this issue occured for the first time, did you install any software before that? Can you remember if you have done any adjustments to the msconfig?

I suspect the culprit (maybe) is the tuning utility which might have screwed up something and/or corrupted your system restore or files.

Do you face that problem only with a specific restore point or does it apply to all?

In case some system files get damaged you can try running the System File Checker.

It will scan your system for missing system files, and replace them from the CD (if missing).

sfc /scannow

To use sfc /scannow, you need the original Windows Xp CD.

While insert CD and hold the Shift Key down to prevent it from starting.

Click Start > Run

in the box type: sfc /scannow

The times I've seen System Restore not work like you said was when the version of XP was not original. Could also be why your updates don't work, Microsoft are getting smarter and pirated copies that might have worked in the past now don't.

Prefetch shouldn't have anything to do with your problem as you can delete all your prefetch files and everything still works the next time you boot up, deleting them is often included in tips to speed up your computer.

it happens at any restore point or even when i have to re boot from windows update

its a 100% original xp but i dont have the disk lol

I will get it tomorrow and give it a go thanks ,, I am more worried about the daft way i have to start it sometimes

it happens at any restore point or even when i have to re boot from windows update

I will get it tomorrow and give it a go thanks ,, I am more worried about the daft way i have to start it sometimes

Then most likely system restore is damaged and you need to repair XP.

If you repair your windows with your original CD all restore points are gone!

You mention you've got no CD to run a repair so I cant help. Maybe someone

is able to assist you. There are certain "rescue disks" available in some well known IT malls in Bangkok...

Then most likely system restore is damaged and you need to repair XP.

If you repair your windows with your original CD all restore points are gone!

You mention you've got no CD to run a repair so I cant help. Maybe someone

is able to assist you. There are certain "rescue disks" available in some well known IT malls in Bangkok...

Thanks webfact i will pick up my xp disk later and will try the repair option ,,

fingers crossed lol,,

thank you for your time

Colino

If you know anyone who has a Linux live CD, that would tell you whether or not the computer itself is OK.

Like someone just said, take your Acer to Pantip Plaza. I can not remember what floor the Acer repair shop is on but you will find it. I took a older Acer laptop there last year that had all sorts of virus problems and a sticky key as well.....I was shocked how cheap it was when I got the repair bill. Who knows, maybe I was just lucky. Take your purchase information with you even if you purchased your Acer outside Thailand. Hope this helps.

I am not a XP user anymore even though I have a working copy of SP2/3?

It is 3 years young & hardened. Bulletproof. I use it for games & firmware updates, say weekly.

I would do a fresh install and simply leave it be. Update your AV daily. Thats it. No muss, no fuss.

XP never worked properly with all the patches anyways, now all support is AWOL.

As soon as you start messing with all the garbage M$ update/upgrade/patch trash you compromise your system. Period.

BSD are common with M$ - its like having a bad-hair-day.

Its time you try Linux - dual boot with XP - as you will have to eventually.

Try MDV Spring or PCLOS 2007/2009.1

BR>Jack

Thanks all

Ok picked up my disk but cant get it to do this

To use sfc /scannow, you need the original Windows Xp CD.

While insert CD and hold the Shift Key down to prevent it from starting.

Click Start > Run

in the box type: sfc /scannow

when i try and re install xp says cant install over microsoft powershell 1.0

can i delete this safely please please only tell me if you really know the answer

Thanks colino

this hole i am digging is getting deeper lol

Its ok folks i did lol

I deleted that file and re installed windows and now i have my prefetch files back lol

I found this on the Microsoft website while looking but it did not do this on my PC,,

I a a new comer to computers and I do not know how and why my prefetch files were deleted. I understand that prefetch files help speed up the start process. What must I do to restore my prefetch files and that the files won't be deleted everytime I shutdown my computer. My computer runs on centrino duo, 64 bit and its OS is Vista Ultimate.

REPLY from microsoft

Thank you for posting. There's no need to worry. Prefetch rebuilds itself over time and usage. You should see the prefetch folder have files added to it as you use your computer and open and run more programs. It should be back to normal in about a week as long as it doesn't get deleted again. You might want to check to see if you have any 3rd party programs that might be deleting the prefetch folder's files if you didn't manually delete them.

Please let me know if this helps you.

Zack

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Thanks again for the help ,Colino