Pregnant Girlfriend

Hi,

I am new to this forum and looking for advice.My thia girlfriend of 2 years is pregnant.I was going to try and get a visa for her to visit

me later in the year but this has changed things some what,the questions i would like to know are,

Could i get her over here to have the baby and would she get cared for on the nhs(i know the time factor could play a part here,you cannot fly after so many weeks pregancy).

If she has the baby in thialand how would i then go about getting a visa for her and the baby,and how no i register the child for a uk passport.

I know it is early days yet and any thing could happen but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

It depends on where you see the relationship heading. If you see it as a long-term thing then you could either get married out there and apply for a spouses settlement visa, or apply for a fiance visa and marry her in the UK. There is plenty of knowledge and advice in this forum section to help you apply. Some of the posters in the UK Settlement thread are currently awaiting settlement visas for their pregnant wives.

I personally think that if the ECO thinks your girlfriend wishes to come to The UK to enable her to have her baby it is almost certain that a visa will be refused, in fact the guidance makes this very clear.

Not sure that a NHS hospital would refuse treatment, but you would be taking one hel_l of a chance.

You need to check with The Consular Section regarding the issue of a UK passport for your child.

nhs would likely refuse treatment. Why don't you check yourself in Uk. My understanding is that according to latest laws coming into effect this year you need to have stayed in UK for a certain number of yrs to receive free health...there are exceptions of course. Even people from a UK protectorate such as Isle of Man cannot now receive NHS in England unless they can show they've been there a certain amount of time in the last ten years which I am not sure the exact detail....Of course there's always the option to pay, and then there's BUPA or other insurances which may want to consider anyway as I am sure your gf will need medical treatment in Thailand also.

If she arrives in the UK on a settlement or fiance visa then she will be able to receive NHS treatment the moment she arrives. If she arrives on a tourist visa then she will not be entitled to NHS treatment.

If she has the baby in Thailand then the british embassy will issue the child with a British passport provided you can prove you are British by descent. You will need to be present at the Embassy & will have to provide a copy of your full birth certificate, see their websit for more infomration on documentation.

Make your mind up quick though if you want her to come to the UK on a settlement or fiance visa, as the current processing times are 3-5 months so if you do apply for either of these then make sure you include a letter from a thai doctor stating your gf is preggers & how far along & ask them to make a descision before it becomes to late for her to fly (usually advised to be no later than 6.5 months)