Help Problem Sending Emails With Tot

daveb1

Hi I have my own SMTP server that I use via tot adsl to send and receive emails up to now it’s been fine but now can’t seem to send any emails, I can receive them ok but every time I send 1 it bounces back undelivered with this message

554 <xxx.xx.xx.xx).adsl.dynamic.totbb.net[xxx.xx.xx.xx]>: Client host rejected: Access denied

Is this TOT blocking my emails or a problem with my own server any ideas how I can sort this

Thanks

Hi I have my own SMTP server that I use via tot adsl to send and receive emails up to now it's been fine but now can't seem to send any emails, I can receive them ok but every time I send 1 it bounces back undelivered with this message

554 <xxx.xx.xx.xx).adsl.dynamic.totbb.net[xxx.xx.xx.xx]>: Client host rejected: Access denied

Is this TOT blocking my emails or a problem with my own server any ideas how I can sort this

Thanks

Yes. You'll need to open an alternate port on your server (ie 26 instead of the standard 25). Try it in your email client, many servers have this port open already. If it doesn't work, talk to your admin and see if they can open it for you.

I use TB and because of travel, use a add-on called ''SmtpSelect'' which I can use to change out my settings prior to sending. A lot of local hosting cos suddenly discover you are using either a port or an address they dont like and promptly block you. SPAM is normally the excuse given.

Either way its pretty easy - experiment and see what works - normally ya smtp line would look like this - smtp.tot.co.th or smtp.myweb.com etc

Port changing is in the same dialogue box - there is also a very high numbered port - 587 as being OK.

BR>Jack

I have massive problems with TOT and gmail.

Using the browser interface, any attachment larger than 200 KB does not attach to the outgoing email.

I did a little digging around and found that it seems TOT has implemented some sort of upload proxy/compression method.

I use TB and because of travel, use a add-on called ''SmtpSelect'' which I can use to change out my settings prior to sending. A lot of local hosting cos suddenly discover you are using either a port or an address they dont like and promptly block you. SPAM is normally the excuse given.

Either way its pretty easy - experiment and see what works - normally ya smtp line would look like this - smtp.tot.co.th or smtp.myweb.com etc

Port changing is in the same dialogue box - there is also a very high numbered port - 587 as being OK.

BR>Jack

The problem with this is that the TOT smtp server is poorly run and often gets blacklisted as a spammer. If you use the TOT server, your recipient might not receive your mail. It's better to change the port, but it requires your server to be listening on that port.

Hi I have my own SMTP server that I use via tot adsl to send and receive emails up to now it’s been fine but now can’t seem to send any emails, I can receive them ok but every time I send 1 it bounces back undelivered with this message

Thanks

From what I understand, your server is at your location and connects to the internet through TOT adsl.

When it tries to send an email (which your mailclient delivered to this server), it will contact the destination mailserver on port 25. The receiving mailserver may use a dnsbl which stands for dnsblacklist.

These blacklists contain IP addresses of known malicious mailservers sending spam and most adsl ranges from ISPs worldwide. If your IP address shows up in a list, mail will be rejected with the error you saw.

You cannot change anything. IP ranges are usually provided to these dnsbl maintainers by the ISPs, and a good ISP will have an option on his website to make an exception for your IP address. But forget about this in Thailand, as ISPs don't even offer static IPs.

Besides this, mail is always received on port 25. Of course one can add additional ports to the daemon to circumvent blocking filters, but internet mailservers will by default contact other mailservers on port 25.

And, as far as I know, TOT still blocks connections to tcp port 25. They want to force you to use their mailserver, which provides them with the easy option to monitor your outgoing email.

A solution:

configure your mailserver to use a smart relay. This has to be a mailserver on the internet which will accept your mail, preferably on a different port, if required with authentication, and it must be configured to relay all your mail.

"I have massive problems with TOT and gmail.

Using the browser interface, any attachment larger than 200 KB does not attach to the outgoing email. 

I did a little digging around and found that it seems TOT has implemented some sort of upload proxy/compression method."

I use the gmail pop3/smtp via a ToT connection IpStar.  I v had no problem with it at all.  Just yesterday I sent 60mb of jpg attachments in one email they where 2 to 5 mb each.  Could switch to using an email app rather then web based.

Many times in the past using AIS and ToT I found systems like comcast in the states would start blocking everything and blacklisted my IP.  I was not spamming, but they said it was because of an open relay in those systems.  They did not conform to ECAN standards.   Thats why I landed at and stay with gmail.  I would hope that in the last few years they have fixed that problem.