Bus transportation in thailand

Manicek

Could anybody inform me whether organisation which operates "blue" long distance buses within all Thailand have established its own www pages? Further I would appreciate if somebody can give me any information about timetables from such points like Bangkok Southern(Northern, Southern, South-Eastern) terminal together with average price per 100 km. Thank in advance. Manicek

• 1 month later...

This is a posting from nightmarch which I think is relevent to most of us.

I cant see anything really changing in the short term unless 10 million odd overseas nationals/tourist/ATMs stay away from LOS due to the big "Lurgy" and leave the place to the locals and our trusty Expats (god bless them)

I am sure then and only then that the "ha" Bt. buses in Pat. would be happy to accept 2-3  satang for an all day trip around the lighthouse and it might even get rid of duel pricing...but dont hold your breath (especially if you are wearing a gas mask because of.....)

Fair’s fare:

One of the most contentious arguments among Pattaya expats and regulars is the two-tiered pricing system imposed by the baht bus drivers who ply the standard route along Beach Road and Second Road.

While the fare for a Thai national is five baht, many drivers demand 10 baht from fair-skinned foreigners.

It is nothing more than extortion. I stopped eating at a small Thai place in Soi 17 many years ago when a young Thai boy sitting at a table opposite me, eating the same dish as myself, was charged 10 baht less. He looked at the vendor and asked her why was I being charged more. Her reply was a succinct, “farang.” What she and the baht bus drivers forget is that it is because of foreign tourism that they are here in Pattaya earning, as a rule, a far more profitable living than back in their home village of Ban Kwai Yai.

If you think I’m wrong, just compare the following short list and let me know where I’ve lost the plot:

1. Fares to and from Jomtien are pegged at 10 baht, whether you are a Thai or a foreigner. Fair.

2. The fare for a bus to Ekkamai or Morchit from the north Pattaya bus station is 90 baht, whether you are a Thai or a foreigner. Fair.

3. Fares on the BTS in Bangkok are clearly marked and apply equally whether you are a Thai or a foreigner. Fair.

4. Fares on public transport buses in Bangkok and other Thai cities are also the same for Thais and foreigners. Fair.

5. Price differential. Consider the trip by an air-conditioned mini-bus from Hat Yai to Songhkla- a distance of around 30 kilometres- and being dropped off anywhere you ask for 19 baht.

Now, consider a trip in an open-sided songthaew a distance of around two kilometres (from South Pattaya Road to Big C) and being threatened either verbally and/or physically if you don’t hand over 10 baht. Extortion?-AGREE_AGREE_AGREE

My e-mail address is: [email protected]

(with thanks) :o

The person who is able to sell these bus companies an electronic ticketing/reservation network is going to be a rich man. Any long-haul trip one wants to make must be preceeded by a trip down to the bus station to buy the ticket. In Bangkok that could mean an hour or two of travel just getting to the bus station.

Example: I live in Isan -10 hours from Bangkok. I can go to the bus station hereand buy a ticket  to go to Bangkok. But, I cannot, from the bus station, purchase a bus ticket to return to my town.  The bus gets into Morchit at 4:45 in the morning. If I want to be sure to get a return ticket, I have to wait in the bus station until 7:00 or 8:00 until the ticket counters open or I have to make a seperate trip back to Morchit.

Internet based ticketing/reservations is the way to go! -Well, okay, that is if the bus companies gave a rat's arse about service. Which, I dount they do