Thaksin Promises New Qualified Cabinet Team

george

PM promises new qualified cabinet team

BANGKOK: -- The new cabinet will be a most qualified one, consisting of all those being competent, honest and willing to work hard for the public and the nation, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has promised.

Speaking to the public during his weekly radio address this morning, Mr. Thaksin said that he was choosing qualified persons to fill in cabinet posts.

He promised that those selected to join his new cabinet would be qualified and competent in specific areas, honest and willing to work hard for societal and national benefits.

"I'll choose the most appropriate ones to join my new cabinet team. Those selected are to be qualified--competent and honest--and willing to work hard for the nation. I'm ready to make changes if some of them are later found disqualified", he pledged.

Mr. Thaksin thanked more than 32 million eligible voters who turned out to exercise their rights in the 6 February general election, accounting for over 72% of the country's total eligible voters--the highest recorded rate in the Thai political history.

He specially extended his thankfulness to those who voted for his Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party, leading to its landslide victory.

"I promise to devote myself to hard working for the public and the nation over the next four years in return for the overwhelming support the majority of the voters have given to me and my party", he said.

"I have learned and known problems and restrictions facing the Thai people and the nation, and will do my best to ease and address the problems", he added.

Mr. Thaksin said he expected the new cabinet could be sworn in and start to work by late March.

"In the meantime, my present caretaker administration will remain in office until then; so people should not be worried", he noted.

--TNA 2005-02-12