Guide Needed

kmarre

My parents are visiting Chiang Mai at the end of the month and I hope to find them a guide to show them around for the week. They speak German and English, though a German guide would be ideal. I am quite sure they'll pay handsomely for this, so if anybody knows such a guide, or has ideas of how I could find one (e.g., would it make sense to go to the university and find a student who studies German?) please let me know. I think they are only planning on the routine stuff and won't need the greatest expert in the world to show them around.

Thanks a bunch!

You don't really need a guide to explore Chiang Mai area. There are hundreds of small travel agencies that offer one day and multi-day trips. I suggest you search one of the many "What is there to do in Chiang Mai" topics and write down the things that might interest your parents. Just off the top of my head there are:

1. River trips along the Ping River in long tail boats

2. Day trip to Doi Suthep mountain top temple

3. Walking trip around China town

4. Visit Chiang Mai zoo or possibly the Night Safari

5. Hike part of the trail up Doi Suthep mountain.

6. Day trip to highest point in Thailand and visit King and Queen temples

7. Day trip to Royal garden show (near Night Safari)

8. Day trip that includes elephant ride, bamboo raft trip, hike to hill tribe people and visit water falls. And, lunch included.

9. An evening or two visiting the "nightclus" along Loi Kroh road would be interesting... even just for the visual entertainment of what goes on in Thailand.

There are too many cafes and restaurants to mention them all, but there have been lots of those topics on this forum.

My parents are visiting Chiang Mai at the end of the month and I hope to find them a guide to show them around for the week. They speak German and English, though a German guide would be ideal. I am quite sure they'll pay handsomely for this, so if anybody knows such a guide, or has ideas of how I could find one (e.g., would it make sense to go to the university and find a student who studies German?) please let me know. I think they are only planning on the routine stuff and won't need the greatest expert in the world to show them around.

Thanks a bunch!

I have a very good, honest Thai girlfriend with a background in tourism, a great driver, and speaks English very well. She has taken many of my friends on small "tours" and they have been delighted with her. PM me!

The travel shops can be expensive and are not always good.In the past we have used a small guide company,husband and wife, who have an air-conditioned mini bus and will tailor make any tours you want.They are hard working and very reasonably priced.She speaks good english,not sure about german.Give them a ring and see what they can do for you.Her name is Riam and the number is 087-1814408

My neighbor is a tour guide with a nice mini bus. She charges 500B per day to drive around the city but she will take them anywhere they want to go at which point she charges extra for the fuel, she is also in with all of the tourist attractions and gets discounts. I have sent many of my friends and family with her and they were all thrilled not to mention the money they saved. Any way don't take this the wrong way I'm not promoting her as an advert. She speaks English and if she gets in a pinch and doesn't understand she tends to call my wife. If you would like her number PM me.