Out/in At Nong Khai/ventiane With Change Of Nationality

Hi,

Can I leave LOS on my French passport (which contains my current extension to stay) via the bridge at Nong Khai and then come back the same way using my USA passport (which will then have a 60-day tourist visa)?

Background: My new employer insists that I leave LOS and get a 60-day tourist visa in another country. They will then get the visa changed into a non-imm B (and get a new work permit). Impossible to discuss any other solution with the new employer and I don't want to make a fuss. The change of nationality is because the employer (a language school) wants to have "native-speaker" teachers. Nationality = native language?! That seems to be the rule.

Thanks in advance

Edited by heretostay

The last report we had of somebody trying to do it had to make about 3 trips back and forth across the bridge before he was able to enter Thailand.

It would be best if you chose a consulate to fly to instead of crossing at a border.

Check airfares to KL. They will issue a single entry without a problem. Penang gives same day service for tourist visas.

Thanks all for this good advice. The tour operator that goes from On Nut to Vientiane told me the same thing, too.

I'm going to take the easiest way out: fly to Singapore. No hassles, no surprises. (Fingers crossed, of course!)

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just read ubonjoe's last message - I didn't expect it! The Singapore trip is booked, so I'm going. I'll pick up a full-fare refundable one-way ticket from an airline for flying out of Thailand before going to Singapore.

But....

The application form for a Tourist Visa from the Thai embassy in Singapore has a question about my last trip to Thailand. Do I answer about the last trip that I made to Thailand on my US passport (the one I'm using for the Tourist Visa), which was six or seven years ago? Or do I mention living here for the past five years (on my French passport)? Not sure how much information to give them.

The form also asks about my occupation AND employer... oops! Don't have either?! And can't admit that my last employer was a school in Thailand - as that's all in my French passport.... Do I say "unemployed"?

Thanks again for your help. Three cheers for Thaivisa.com !

Ubonjoe,

Thanks for this good - and quick - help.

Just for clarification on your answer: do I give them the dates of my last trip to LOS according to a.) or to b.) below?

a. in the other passport (back from a break in April of this year, on my non-immigrant B visa extension/re-entry permit)

- or -

b. in the passport on which I am applying for a tourist visa (last trip to LOS about six or seven years ago, without a visa, under visa exemption)

Sorry to seem dense, but I think you understand that I want to minimize the risks in Singapore...

Thanks again!