Best Place To Buy An External Hard Drive

StevieH

can anyone who has found a good deal on external hard drives please recommend the best place to go? would it be pantip plaza, computer city on the north side of the moat or is there somewhere else? and ballpark prices if possible too please. cheers.

Pantip is a good place to start although I'm not sure I always trust the quality of what is sold there.

The price depends on whether you want a portable external hard drive or not, for portable, passport size external hard drive, 500GB capacity 5000 Baht isn't far off the mark. For a normal desktop external hard drive 500GB, 3000 to 4000 Baht is reasonable.

Check out ebuyer.com website for a guide on prices and what's out there, Western Digital is a good quality brand.

In my experience I can say there is very little difference in price between com city / pantip plaza. I spent a reasonable last month on components and found most places were within a few hundred baht of each other. The cheapest (and better stocked) places I found was in J.I.B in Computer City (jib.co.th) and they also discounted two Samsung 22" LCDs by around 20%, most places were not willing to discuss a discount at all.

can anyone who has found a good deal on external hard drives please recommend the best place to go? would it be pantip plaza, computer city on the north side of the moat or is there somewhere else? and ballpark prices if possible too please. cheers.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun StevieH,

There is a mail-order on-line shop in Bangkok (site is in both Thai and English) currently advertising :

Western Digital 1TB My Book Home Edition 3.5" External Hard Drive USB2.0/FW400/eSATA for 4990 baht, warranty three years.

And, a Seagate 1.5 terabyte external for 5540 Thai baht. USB 2.0 7200 rpm, 2 years warranty.

A friend of mine here in CM ordered quite a bit of equipment from them (including motherboard, Dram, etc.) two years ago and was completely satisfied with their shipping, packing, etc. I just checked (today) with said friend, and he has ordered as recently as three days ago, and is still satisfied with them. My friend laughed when he told me what I was checking on : he had just ordered the 1.5 Terabyte Seagate which he's hooking up to some HDMI player gizmo.

He advises :

1. e-mail them first and make sure the items you want are in stock (PM me for the e-mail if you can't find it on the site)

2. expect them to take 4 to 7 days to ship your items, and he feels paying for express service is a waste

I believe ThaiVisa rules prohibit my posting a url to their site, but try a search on Google for "Bangkok" and "Thanni" or PM me.

Personally, if it were a motherboard, or a graphics card I'd buy it here in Chiang Mai, particularly if the price difference was less than 10%, but for name-brand hard-drives I wouldn't be afraid to use mail-order.

Caveat emptor, as always.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Thanks to the OP and others posting - they've nudged me to make the external HD purchase I've been mulling. I agree with the thoughts expressed by orang37 - and Thanni has a good reputation for service and delivering the goods overall.

As their website url is pinned as part of the Computing sub-forum resources list, I don't see why we can't give it here: http://www.thanni.com

Links to many other online stores for components etc are at: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/line-Compute...res-t61857.html

I've bought about 4 or 5 external HDDs here in CM.

I usually go for the 2.5" laptop size. I currently own 2 Seagate and one Western Digital.

Looking at my most recent receipt, for the 250 GB Western Digital...I paid 3500 B from Good Speed Computer on May 1 2008.

This is the shop on the second floor of the computer plaza which is the second one (sorry I can't recall the name) headed east from the northwest corner of the moat.

I purchased all the others at Panthip. I find the competition is so tight on these components...it is possibly a waste of time to drive a lot, and shop around.

The above mentioned 250 GB I bought is probably a fraction of the price I payed 1 yr ago. Moore's Law, and all that. :)

steveh, go to CM computer center, right at the intersection where Changpuek rd and Superhighway is. On the second floor, turn right and at the immediate right is a shop called D-Dynamite First. Although they mostly speak Thai, I have found them to be the cheapest place to buy computers and accessories. They have external drives by Seagate and WD. Not sure about the prices but i inquired about an internal 500gig and i was quoted Baht2,090.

for what it's worth, i get these over in pantip from a dude that honors the 5 year warranty:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgne...000f5ee0a0aRCRD

and i think they are even made in tland. i can't remember, but the last batch was about 4000 each. any of the barracuda 7200.11 series are really great: quiet and run relatively cool. we have over a dozen or so lately and have had only one failure that was replaced without question. cheers!

I bought a 1 tera byte western digital drive in a nice philips case for 3000 baht at computer plaza

Where abouts in Computer plaza was that please? Thats a great deal.

extremely cheap, please tell us all where this place is at. i would also be interested in picking up 1 terabyte in casing for 3K.

TB..