What's Wrong With The New Phantom?

or get one of these

.http://www.zongsheninternational.com/webtest/Cyclone/CycloneProducts/cycloneZS12550/Productintroduction/tabid/257/Default.aspx?PageContentID=65

brand new 55,000b. pretty much same speed etc as the Honda(even thou its only a 125) and probably better build quality (zongshen are china's top motorcycle builder)

The new Fire Editions are having mechanical problems, especially the last two model years. The rumor I heard was that Honda Thailand started using much cheaper parts in the last two year models and the bikes have been having much more trouble than the previous editions. Just hearsay of course, but I have a Phantom and that's what my Thai mechanic told me.

Should I believe this? Would this explain why people keep selling them after only a year or so? Or is it the small engine size : weight of bike ratio?

If it's true, I would be better-off looking for a second-hand edition about 3 years old, before the fire edition came out.

I doubt it

Engine parts all from Honda. Carb from Mikuni? Rims from Enkei. Brakes probably from Nissin.

If in doubt, check a couple of sparepart numbers for 3 year old and new with dealer.

The fire edition seems to be only a different colorscheme. The ignition key was relocated 3-4 years ago.

Its a very reliable bike for years. My friend even went to Ranong 650 km roundtrip in one day

A neighbor has 4 of them for rent, 2-5 years old. Never an issue. Edit All 4 bought from us guys in the neighborhood who just got bored of Phantom

Edited by katabeachbum

Hi

But guys, its ugly and engine to small, just a bike there think it look like something it's not, he he you can start hit me now

I have never had one and never will, think the Nouvo is better :):D

Hi HDRIDER, thats about what I said in this thread 4 days ago, and nobody has hit me yet :D:D

hi Freddie am in town dont have your current phone number

The Phantom has it's place. In the US or Europe I wouldn't be caught dead riding one, but TIT, and it does make some sense here in a bizarre kind of Thai way. I think it's strongest point is how cheap maintenance and parts are, and how easy it is to find mechanics that are familiar with it. If you have the money to buy a bigger bike and go to a specialized mechanic, then by all means, but if you just want a cheap town bike with a cruiser look that is easily serviceable then Phantom at least deserves consideration. It's definitely not for everyone but it deserves a look.

The Phantom's days are numbered though IMO. With the Asian FTA on the horizon and bigger bikes becoming much cheaper, I don't think we'll see the Phantom around much longer.

the old phantom is better than the new one cheep to buy cheep to fix lots of power if you do the mods on it chain sprockets re bore and new rings good runaround not a long trip bike got it ten years old rebuilt it nice bike every thai can fix it any where so its good the new one is to much money

My friend in Chiang Mai loves his Phantom and can't afford anything better as his missus has already gambled away the car and house...

052809ER6nPhayaoView1.jpg

He had a hel_l of a time trying to keep up with the ER6 though and is now craving a bigger bike :):D:D

My friend in Chiang Mai loves his Phantom and can't afford anything better as his missus has already gambled away the car and house...

052809ER6nPhayaoView1.jpg

He had a hel_l of a time trying to keep up with the ER6 though and is now craving a bigger bike :):D:D

Lucky guy! At least he got to keep his bike

Well I've decided to take the plunge and buy a new one. Went to the Honda dealer on Rama 4. I was hoping to get a deal, or at least some free extras (e.g. bags). Check out the responses:

• free fixtures to put my rear luggage box: no
  • free side bags and fixtures: no. The original Honda leather ones cost 5000 Baht and she says they've stopped making them!
  • free king or queen foot pedals: no. 1000 Baht each.
  • discount on 88,000 Baht? no.
  • anything? they will not charge me for servicing in the first year, only parts.

Hmmmm, I was kinda hoping I wouldn't need any parts in the first year.

Anyone got any advice to get a better deal?

They advised that theft insurance would cost 2,500 for two years. They will do all the papers for free.

PS: I forgot to check at the dealer what style gear changer it comes with. Is it the one-sided type, where you press down with your toes to shift up, and press up with your toes to shift down? Or the double sided-type, where you can press down at the back to shift down?

Well I've decided to take the plunge and buy a new one.

From the subject of this thread, i would have thought it obvious - get a nearly new second-hand one and save yourself over 20,000 baht. No brainer.

Well I've decided to take the plunge and buy a new one.

From the subject of this thread, i would have thought it obvious - get a nearly new second-hand one and save yourself over 20,000 baht. No brainer.

I wouldn't exactly call it a no-brainer. I went in to a second-hand place at the weekend. They were offering a one-year old one for 72,000 Baht. It looked it good condition, except the chain was rusty. A rusty chain on a one-year old bike? I'm guessing the owner had cared for it less carefully than I plan to.

The problem for me is that I'm not an expert. I can spot exterior damage but if there's some way it's been abused that doesn't jump out to the untrained eye, I could easily end up buying a dud.

I wouldn't exactly call it a no-brainer. I went in to a second-hand place at the weekend.

Mistake number one - you went to a second-hand place. Personally, i wouldn't step foot in such a place.

Look in classified ads. As was the topic of this thread, there are quite a few people selling them. They'll be much cheaper than a second-hand dealer's price, and you get to check out the owner - you learn as much from meeting this person as you do from seeing the bike.

Genuine sellers are usually easy to identify.

Look in the ThaiVisa classifieds. It's a buyers market right now for used bikes, lot's of choices. Plus most of the bikes in the ThaiVisa classifieds are Farang owned, meaning they are probably better maintained than something you would find at a dealership. Not saying that only Farangs maintain their bikes properly, I'm sure many Thai do too...

Edited by HTWoodson

OR forget it completly and get the Zongshen cyclone pursuit. Its a great bike very similar to the Phantom but only 55,000b brand new with 2 years warranty. PM Ray23. He has some friends who have the Phantom and the Zongshen. I met them at the Keon Kaen bike show. It was a loverly bike and strong as well the Lady riding it had a slight accident but with its standard drop bars . No problem. Just a thought :)

Thai website for Zongshen see here http://www.p-bike.net/pro.html

Edited by thaicbr

• 4 weeks later...
or get one of these

.http://www.zongsheninternational.com/webtest/Cyclone/CycloneProducts/cycloneZS12550/Productintroduction/tabid/257/Default.aspx?PageContentID=65

brand new 55,000b. pretty much same speed etc as the Honda(even thou its only a 125) and probably better build quality (zongshen are china's top motorcycle builder)

Thaibc where in Thailand did you say you could buy one of these Pursuit 250 models? Being a tall guy(6ft3in 250lbs) I think that that style might fit me better than the 250Tiger. Which I have heard so much about recently. I had been concidering a used Phantom. You can't argue about the priceof the Zongshen. I live out side Chiang Rai when home in Thailand now in Canada

I have been following this forum for some time and apprciate the information and enjoy the posts. I don't have any thing to add as am non mechanical rider. But I just wanted to thank all for the wealth of information and experience. Randell

Cant fault my phantom for the price and the very good comfortable ride, sure i wouldnt go on a 3000k ride but its perfect for me and the mrs to nip about on if you want to race around or go touring get a bigger bike, simple.

Yep, I'm with you Roly, it is what it is, had my Fire Edition over 2 years now grey and black so it ain't quite so gawdy, used it for commuting to work for several months, 130 and 110 km round trip daily, 90-100kph easy relaxed cruising. One problem so far with a short circuit from a cheap set of spot lights I had fitted, bump started easy tho. Limitations, only a side stand, headlight is crap, no petrol gauge but apart from that it does what I need it to do.

I bought a second hand 2005 Phantom through TV sales and wanted from a farang in Nakhon Si Thammarat.

It supposedly had 5,500 km on the clock and may well have but it also had 3 farang owners before me.

I live in Khampaeng Phet and took an aircon bus to Rangsit bin Bangkok and flew down to NST by Nok Air.

The bike seemed OK but I took the air conditioned train to Bangkok from Thong Sala junction as I couldn't get the bike on at NST station rather than ride 800 km on unfamiliar roads.

My bike went on the train before mine and was waiting when I got to Hua Lampong station.

I road it to my friends place on Sukhumvit 101 and got cleaned up then rode 380 km home on familiar roads.

Since then I use it as a daily runner instead of the pickup truck and I am getting around 30km/ltr which I am impressed with.

I took it in for a 4,000 km service and I only paid 140 baht.

The bike seems to vibrate a bit and the cool cowboy style seat needs extra padding for my fat a@@ but it seems to be OK apart from that.

So far I am :):D :D

I've been riding a Phantom for 2.5 years now (bought it 2nd hand) - never had any mechanical problem even though I "treated" it quite rough.

Now I've bought a ER6n, and I'm still thinking if I could sell the ol'Phantom, or even if I want to sell it, it's still nice to take drive to the 7...