Tourist Visa In Hong Kong

I have a friend who been here in Thailand for 2½ year, doing visa runs to Singapore getting a tourist visa every time, and had a ½ year "break" in his native country. So obviously he have a lot of Tourist-stamps in his passport, and he is only 24 years old.

Yesterday he went to Hong Kong to get a new Tourisy Visum before going back to Denmark later this summer.

Apparently he was rejected, and the clerk told him they needed to see a bank statement?

Is this in any way normal?

They are just using the rule that says that you need to show some money when you apply for a visa. Most consulates don't ask for it. Hong Kong is on our no go list because they have been reported as wanting to see a ticket out within 60 days of arrival.

From MFA webiste in documents required for a tourist visa.

Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

Source: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489

I've gotten double entry tourist visas from Hong Kong twice, most recently 6 months ago in December. They never asked to see proof of money or a plane ticket. The first time, in March 2008 I even bought a plane ticket just in case and didn't need it.

I've gotten double entry tourist visas from Hong Kong twice, most recently 6 months ago in December. They never asked to see proof of money or a plane ticket. The first time, in March 2008 I even bought a plane ticket just in case and didn't need it.

All reports that we have gotten is what I posted.

You don't by chance hold a Hong Kong passport or have residency there do you. That can make a big difference in what you can get.

• 2 months later...

All reports that we have gotten is what I posted.

You don't by chance hold a Hong Kong passport or have residency there do you. That can make a big difference in what you can get.

Just came back from Hong Kong last week, got a 90 day Non O, they wouldn't give me a multi said I could extend in Bangkok. I went with my wife no real problem but they wanted a copy of my wifes passport and a copy of my stamp into Hong Kong made a nice change to go there instead of KL, Penang or Loas. so not as difficult as peolple think it is.

Stayed on Kowloon side 1,400 baht hotel spotlessly clean and 90 baht big bottle of beer in Temple St outdoor cafes what more could you want.

Went to HK for an ED Visa as I was going to Chula for intensive Thai classes. Read many different things about the ED visa multi/single etc. HK absolutely refuses to give multi entry. ABSOLUTELY. They weren't actually rude but very very cold. They said if I wanted multi entry, I had to do in Thailand. Of course, the Thai immigration office said I can only do out of country. Catch 22.

Conclusion, HK is fairly efficient for an embassy office. Very cold people. Read and follow EVERY rule they give you as they won't budge AT ALL. They did make an exception for one guy who had to fly out the same day (I think) but I didn't stick around to see the end result. If you like HK or want to do some shopping/eating go and beware of holidays for the embassy office. If you want a friendly office go somewhere else.

Went to HK for an ED Visa as I was going to Chula for intensive Thai classes. Read many different things about the ED visa multi/single etc. HK absolutely refuses to give multi entry. ABSOLUTELY. They weren't actually rude but very very cold. They said if I wanted multi entry, I had to do in Thailand. Of course, the Thai immigration office said I can only do out of country. Catch 22.

Conclusion, HK is fairly efficient for an embassy office. Very cold people. Read and follow EVERY rule they give you as they won't budge AT ALL. They did make an exception for one guy who had to fly out the same day (I think) but I didn't stick around to see the end result. If you like HK or want to do some shopping/eating go and beware of holidays for the embassy office. If you want a friendly office go somewhere else.

Sorry I had the exact opposite experience, granted they won't give a multi but I emailed beforehand and got a freindly reply back, they were polite checking all my documents were in order before allowing me to apply and we only had a 5 minute wait. They wanted to photocopy of my wifes passport but when we said it was at the hotel he said no problem just bring it with you tomorrow when you collect your visa.

I think maybe the problem is they don't process so many visas as the girl I emailed told me originally I needed a flight itinary for my Non O and when I queried it she said she'd checked again and I didn't.

If it wasn't for the fact they'll only give a 90 day I'd go back there everytime as Hong Kongs one of our favourite places.