Iphone 3gs

Everybody's situation is different, but given this feedback, I much prefer the peace of mind having legit, updatable equipment with a reliable warrantee. I usually buy all electronics from the U.S. (although this place Winner sounds interesting); however Apple is trustworthy, even in Thailand. (Indeed, the U.S. is the worst place in the world to get an iPhone if you ask me!)

Incidentally, does anybody know if an unlocked iPhone works well with T-Mobile in the US? I have been mercifully spared from learning the US wireless labyrinth, but once I get this phone I will want to use its data features with my el-cheapo prepaid T-Mobile SIM. I would appreciate any feedback from forum members who've done this. Thanks.

In some countries Australia and Hong Kong (also Thailand I believe) it is illegal to sell phones that are locked to one network. If you buy a factory unlocked phone it should work with any sim anywhere because, if they sold it to a market that didnt allow you to lock it, they would be breaking the law if it didnt work. Obviously if T mobile is operating at some strange bandwith or using non-standard sims (which is unlikely) then this would not be the case. But really 'factory unlocked' is not the right phrase, it simply hasnt been 'factory locked'.

I do have a query which is if all Iphones are exclusive to AT&T why are people selling factory unlocked phones on Ebay? Where do they come from? They shouldnt be distributed in the US.

Phones from Australia are factory unlocked. Whether it is worth the premium is debatable as you can unlock and jailbreak a phone in 15 minutes. I am told though that this might not last for ever.

Thailand is not a particularly cheap or expensive place to but a non contract iphone - about US$100 more than ebay. You do get at least US$300 of Apps with it if you buy in MBK. The True data contract is much cheaper than AIS or DTAC. There is very little feedback anywhere whether the True contract is the best way to buy the phone, what back up is like etc.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally, does anybody know if an unlocked iPhone works well with T-Mobile in the US? I have been mercifully spared from learning the US wireless labyrinth, but once I get this phone I will want to use its data features with my el-cheapo prepaid T-Mobile SIM. I would appreciate any feedback from forum members who've done this. Thanks.

I was in the USA last month using a factory unlocked iPhone 3G and an AIS SIM card on roaming, and T-Mobile worked without a problem. There is no reason why a T-Mobile SIM card would not also work, so long as you have an unlocked iPhone.

I don't have an iphone , May be some one can compare the Two ..

Sony Ericsson Satio

Picture7-5.png

Picture8-3.png

Picture9-1.png

Picture6-3.png

Picture7-4.jpg

Link

Well I dont have the Sony Ericsson so I cant really give an informed opinion - maybe someone will do better.

The one area that the Sony really does blow the iphone away is with the Camera - it has a 12megapizel camera with flash while the iphone has a three megapixel without.

A lot of the basic spec is the same - the Sony only has 8GB of built it memory but it can be expanded to more while GS has more built in memory but cant be expanded.

Iphone definitely has the advantage when it comes to Apps. It has 50,000 of which 8,000 are free. The Sony doesnt seem to register but assuming it is compatible with Noia Symbian then its Apps number some 5,000. For itunes users who lie audioboos, podcasts, synching with your ipods, integration with say the IDJ then the iphone is bound to be preferable.

As I see it if what you want is a phone with a good camera, the Sony wins. It doesnt seem to have any other advantages,

Maybe a bit off topic but I read on the website from true that for the purchase of the iphone foreigners need to supply copy of their work permit or ed visa.Is this only required if you purchase with monthly instalments or also if you pay cash.Reason I ask is that I am interested in one with a post paid sim package but am on a retirement visa.I have emailed true over this issue but of course without any reply.

I don't have an iphone , May be some one can compare the Two ..

Sony Ericsson Satio

Picture7-5.png

Picture8-3.png

Picture9-1.png

Picture6-3.png

Picture7-4.jpg

Link

Well I dont have the Sony Ericsson so I cant really give an informed opinion - maybe someone will do better.

The one area that the Sony really does blow the iphone away is with the Camera - it has a 12megapizel camera with flash while the iphone has a three megapixel without.

A lot of the basic spec is the same - the Sony only has 8GB of built it memory but it can be expanded to more while GS has more built in memory but cant be expanded.

Iphone definitely has the advantage when it comes to Apps. It has 50,000 of which 8,000 are free. The Sony doesnt seem to register but assuming it is compatible with Noia Symbian then its Apps number some 5,000. For itunes users who lie audioboos, podcasts, synching with your ipods, integration with say the IDJ then the iphone is bound to be preferable.

As I see it if what you want is a phone with a good camera, the Sony wins. It doesnt seem to have any other advantages,

Just because it has 12 megapixels doesn't make it good. The sensor must be tiny, stuffing it full of pixels will not guarantee a good image.

• 3 months later...

FYI,

I just bought a jailbroken 3GS 16GB in Manila for 41,000 Pesos, which is about 29.000 Baht. It is running version 3.1.

I can switch SIMs, use Cyndia, use 3G (Philippines is SO much more advanced than Thailand). However, I cannot use iTunes ("iTunes Store is not supported in this country") and bluetooth will not connect to PC, MacBook Pro. or other phones.

So far I am quite happy with it.

FYI,

I just bought a jailbroken 3GS 16GB in Manila for 41,000 Pesos, which is about 29.000 Baht. It is running version 3.1.

I can switch SIMs, use Cyndia, use 3G (Philippines is SO much more advanced than Thailand). However, I cannot use iTunes ("iTunes Store is not supported in this country") and bluetooth will not connect to PC, MacBook Pro. or other phones.

So far I am quite happy with it.

Hi

But you can get a 3GS 32GB for 30.000 here AND use itunes

Maybe a bit off topic but I read on the website from true that for the purchase of the iphone foreigners need to supply copy of their work permit or ed visa.Is this only required if you purchase with monthly instalments or also if you pay cash.Reason I ask is that I am interested in one with a post paid sim package but am on a retirement visa.I have emailed true over this issue but of course without any reply.

Arrive with a wad of cash, and the'll give you the phone. I am not sure about the postpaid package. They will most likely not let you finance the phone, but I think you'll have a good chance to get the phone+ postpaid without WP, retirement visa should be fine for that.

Sony... Symbian Series 60...

Garbage.

Sony makes nice hardware but you'll have to wait until they finally see the light and release Android phones. Then hope they don't muck up the Android user interface.

Symbian is garbage, and I dare to predict that it always will be. It will be replaced by operating systems like Android, Mobilix, and so on.

Sony... Symbian Series 60...

Garbage.

Sony makes nice hardware but you'll have to wait until they finally see the light and release Android phones. Then hope they don't muck up the Android user interface.

Symbian is garbage, and I dare to predict that it always will be. It will be replaced by operating systems like Android, Mobilix, and so on.

you are right in my mind, Symbian Phones are garbage, I have had 3 or 4 of them and always had a headache. The 3GS is great and I will never look back.