Bangkok Highway Police Shakedowns

Ive been stopped very close to that bang na area also--even got pulled over by a motorcycle cop once--that cost me 200 baht, i still dont know for what. it might be better to just say u dont have a license--so they have nothing to take away---but 500 baht?--no way

but the other day i was with my ex gf. she was driving and got stopped for some lane violation. cop asked for id--she handed the cop and id with a 100 baht bill folded behind the id--hwe checkwed it and gave her back the id--end of story

I always go for the ticket, because I know they hate to write one, and they don't get as much out of it as the "tea-money".

and ..... I tend to be at the collecting station next day at 8 in the morning.... until now that has always given me a reasonable satisfaction... day shift starts at 8 and mostly they (the copper who wrote the ticket) tend to be late..... only once my drivers license was there before me.

The scenario is mostly the same:

Present my ticket... officer goes through the licenses, does not find mine, checks the book, no entry yet....

Stupid look, apologies, if I would be so kind to wait a few minutes....

(can easily be half an hour or more)

The station officer is clearly getting nervous

Mostly the station commander start asking questions why that falang is sitting there.....

Ticket writer comes to work (late)

Get's a fat yelling from the commander

more apologies.... also from the ticket writer

Pay my fine (with pleasure, that little show was worth the money)

Walk out with drivers license and a big grin on my face...

(once they even waived the fine out of pure embarrassment)

Before there is any misunderstanding, I do not get tickets often, but I'm already driving around here since 13 years.... so you do collect a few anyway.

And out of personal experience, the copper that wrote you that ticket will never forget your face, and let you go the next time.

(happened on Srinakarin Rd. next to Bang-na Trat, got a ticket for driving on the right lane with my motorbike, was at the station early next morning...., a few months later was stopped there again, for no apparent reason, same copper, when he recognized me, he only said "GO!!!!" in a not so friendly way)

Rich Falangs............ if u guys keep paying 500 baht, it will become the norm. Taxi's generally pay 50, passenger cars maybe 100. 200 is getting high.

500....... well, its going to attract attention to us (lets not pick on the locals, falangs are richer pickings ).

I stall and delay them, waist their time........always insist on a ticket -happy to pay it.

20% chance they will issue a ticket, which might cost 100 to 300 baht........ on average your paying then 20 to 60 baht

Although I agree with not paying 500 baht (I typically get by for 100), I personally don't find it rewarding to take the ticket, find the local office, negotiate there, then either wait for my license or head back to get it. I have things I could be doing.

Then again, I never get a ticket, unless I am breaking a law, usually riding outside the left lane.

Call me naive, but I'm one of those stubborn people that stand on principle; If they want to take your lisence, surely you are within your rights to demand a reciept for it.....so, have a reciept ready to be filled out by the officer: name, rank and serial number and alleged offence, along with a document that looks like it is from a legal firm stating that any disputes WILL be taken to the court on your behalf.

Will it be worth HIS time to testify in court and will he have evidence of the alleged offence? Surely he would rather carry on collecting his "taxes" from other victims.

Call me naive, but I'm one of those stubborn people that stand on principle; If they want to take your lisence, surely you are within your rights to demand a reciept for it.....so, have a reciept ready to be filled out by the officer: name, rank and serial number and alleged offence, along with a document that looks like it is from a legal firm stating that any disputes WILL be taken to the court on your behalf.

Will it be worth HIS time to testify in court and will he have evidence of the alleged offence? Surely he would rather carry on collecting his "taxes" from other victims.

I guess you haven't been ticketed. "Court" is another cop, sitting behind a desk at the station.

Years ago, I was talking to a guy in a bar in Bangkok. He was having a rant about getting a speeding ticket. He said he had been stationary for 10 minutes in one of Bangkok's famous jams. He elected for the station fine, then went to the British Embassy to complain. He was told just pay the fine, they don't respect CD plates so what chance have you got? He said the embassy even had a fund to pay staff "fines".

I guess you haven't been ticketed. "Court" is another cop, sitting behind a desk at the station.

So guess we can call you Naive then ??.... :) ...

Its all swings and roundabouts....Have been shook down for things I havent done....Been stopped for things I have done and let go without any tea money or fine....Think only once I have been presented with a legimate ticket, must have been the only leg BiB in BKK, as he wouldnt take the bung, and sped off on his motorbike to Bang Na cop shop with license in hand.....cost me 2.5 hours of sitting with my thumb up my bum and the fine was THB 350...I had offered him THB 200... :D

I have torn past police at high speed, left and right, so many times and never understand why they don't do anything.

Once you've been booked once, they take your license and give you a receipt, making it difficult for other BiB to book you on the same day. So sometime it's better to get the ticket than 'talk'.

Its actually valid for a week and not only for a day. Ill take a ticket if it doesnt take more than 30 minutes to complete and if I know im driving a lot that week. Nice to know you can do what ever the heck you want in the traffic for a week without getting fined.. Its like hitting them back the other way as they are charging you for what the heck they want when you have done nothing.

If you really dont want to pay have your story and face expressions ready from first second the window goes down. Just claim that another check point some kilometres before just got you and you allrerady paid 200 b to an officer. He will ask where just to talk but he is not capable to track it. Say you dont know the name of the street and look very upset about this.. He will smile for sure and let you go. After you spool out of that checkpoint you can have your big laugh.

Edited by Paddleshifter

Hey guys, do you have a Thai Driving License or an International Driving Permit (IDP)? I wonder whether Thai police is allowed to collect the IDP as well or just the Thai license? Or rather: do they bring the IDP to the office for an official ticket as well?

I was stopped at checkpoints more than 5 times in the past month (that was in the province though) and they never bothered me after seeing my IDP. I just got my Thai license this week and I wonder whether I better still show my IDP (which is still valid) and mime as a short-term expat.

welo

Btw the Bangkok Highway Police tried to stop me too when I took off the tollway ticket booth (can't remember where though). But I first did not realize it was police since they yelled from 5 meters away where they had been busy 'harvesting' another car. only after looking into the review mirror I saw the uniform. I assumed he would not bother going after me and so it was. Let's see whether he took my license plate, but I assume it's just not worth the troubles for him. What happens in Thailand if you pretend to not hear/see a cop and he happens to have a motorbike and come after you?

welo

Hey guys, do you have a Thai Driving License or an International Driving Permit (IDP)? I wonder whether Thai police is allowed to collect the IDP as well or just the Thai license? Or rather: do they bring the IDP to the office for an official ticket as well?

I was stopped at checkpoints more than 5 times in the past month (that was in the province though) and they never bothered me after seeing my IDP. I just got my Thai license this week and I wonder whether I better still show my IDP (which is still valid) and mime as a short-term expat.

welo

I have a Thai DL

Of course they have the right to take IDP off you as well as the Driving license which goes with it, these are documents you are using which prove you have the right to drive, Do you only carry your IDP, cos hope you know its not valid, unless you have your drivers license with it ??

Btw the Bangkok Highway Police tried to stop me too when I took off the tollway ticket booth (can't remember where though). But I first did not realize it was police since they yelled from 5 meters away where they had been busy 'harvesting' another car. only after looking into the review mirror I saw the uniform. I assumed he would not bother going after me and so it was. Let's see whether he took my license plate, but I assume it's just not worth the troubles for him. What happens in Thailand if you pretend to not hear/see a cop and he happens to have a motorbike and come after you?

welo

Why would they bother to chase you, just radio your plate number ahead and a nice BiB further down the highway will spring you....

I have a Thai DL

Of course they have the right to take IDP off you as well as the Driving license which goes with it, these are documents you are using which prove you have the right to drive, Do you only carry your IDP, cos hope you know its not valid, unless you have your drivers license with it ??

Of course I have IDP plus my national driving license. Thanks for the reminder though.

My experience is that many times a cop stops me in my car at a checkpoint and asks for my license as soon as I show my IDP + national driving license they don't even bother to look at it, and wave me through. That's why I asked.

Btw at those times I noticed that they usually go after pickups (I am talking about the province here not Bangkok) and mostly ignore sedan cars, maybe this is the reason and not whether IDP or not.

welo

Why would they bother to chase you, just radio your plate number ahead and a nice BiB further down the highway will spring you....

Makes sense. This one obviously did not though. Lucky me.

• 2 months later...
Hi.

What happens if you are in such situation and, instead of giving them your real (Thai or foreign) driving license, you hand over a photocopy? Because i am fed up with them by now as well, as soon as they got your license in hand they have a way of squeezing that money out of you.

I have to pass Srinakarin road every evening these days, and every other week one day they will set up one of their road blocks and stop just about every motorbike that passes. ONLY motorbikes. And EVERYBODY pays for some reason or other! Last week they got me, too. So let's see.

- I was wearing a helmet.

- The visor is neither tinted nor reflective.

- I HAVE a Thai driving license.

- It is NOT expired.

- Bike is insured and taxed.

- Copy of green book and insurance paper at hand.

- Lights available and working.

- I did NOT run a red light.

- I was on the left-most lane of the road, and had been for a couple of kilometers.

- I did NOT cross any white lines or other signs.

- I did NOT wear slippers.

- My exhaust, although quite loud and obviously a racing exhaust, is type approved and legal.

- My bike's colour, although custom, matches what's written in the book.

- Engine and frame numbers match, too.

Not much left to scam me, what? Oh hold on, fantasy knows no limits. So i was "fined" 400 Baht for "illegal modifications" - my additional headlights or rather the "angel eyes" in them!! Which are there since well over a year, have passed thousand police checks and two DLT checks (those which are done when you have to pay the tax).

So my options were (this happened on Srinakarin road!) to go the Rama IV (!!!) police station to pay the "official" ticket (400 Baht) or the usual 100 Baht on the spot (negotiated by my Thai boyfriend over the phone as that cop didn't speak a word of English and i happen to forget all Thai when i see a uniform, that works sometimes but not in this case).

Why whine over 100 Baht? Because if i give them to that beggar on the pedestrian flyover near my place i get some nice music in exchange. From the cop i get nothing at all, only waste my time.

Next day i photocopied my licenses and i am thinking of giving them only that copy when they stop me again. But what could happen..?

Best regards.....

Thanh

Was stopped on the bike in Pattaya, Police couldn't find nowt wrong, Thai 5 yr bike license, tax etc, all in order, but loan behold, 200 baht was extorted from me! The reason "Ferang cannot wear black helmet". I asked for receipt, the coppers name & number, he undid the leather holster gun strap & asked if I want make pompem.

As for as the photo copied license, if you have the old laminated style, it’s easy to knock up a few copies, any of the copy shops can make them up for U, at little cost, as long as U insert an original photo before it’s laminated. When stopped & the license is briefly inspected the plod usually run their finger over the photo, if it’s raised slightly they don’t inspect further. There is no 100% guarantee that they wont notice, but if the traffic is heavy your on to a winner! I have friend who has done this & must have a few licenses in various police stations from Udon to Pattaya

Rich Falangs............ if u guys keep paying 500 baht, it will become the norm. Taxi's generally pay 50, passenger cars maybe 100. 200 is getting high.

500....... well, its going to attract attention to us (lets not pick on the locals, falangs are richer pickings ).

I stall and delay them, waist their time........always insist on a ticket -happy to pay it.

20% chance they will issue a ticket, which might cost 100 to 300 baht........ on average your paying then 20 to 60 baht

400 baht is the norm and this is with a CORRECT photo and sent to the owner of the car my wife, even though I was driving at the time and paid at the local station to us a few weeks later. See the thread entitled "Ive been a naughty boy"

Edited by yabaaaa

Can someone help alert the authorities? :)

Gregory, I don't see why you can't alert the authorities yourself. Pick up a phone and make some calls, go down to the appropriate station which covers the area where the officer stopped you. Do exactly the same as you would in your home country, only difference is you have to work around possible language barriers, just as a foreigner in your home country would have to do.