Bluewater School Increases Fees By 7 1/2 %

Thanks for putting the letter up for people .

Clearly, next year the pupils who do attend will have one hel_l of a library and a science block probably better funded than NASA :)

Most of the posters here also appear to have children at the school and the others have offerred advice so boredom maybe but it is a open forum and some good may come out of someone elses views who actually isnt so emotionally involved .

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A swimming pool?

Yes, small, but plans to make it larger when more funding available!

oooh the olympics in samui ye ha :D:D:)

Plus most people on Samui who can afford to send children to BW have their own swimming pools. A point raised last year when the fees went up to pay for this !

Edited by hangusthemonkey

Clearly, next year the pupils who do attend will have one hel_l of a library and a science block probably better funded than NASA :D

Most of the posters here also appear to have children at the school and the others have offerred advice so boredom maybe but it is a open forum and some good may come out of someone elses views who actually isnt so emotionally involved .

It's actually " an " open forum & that's what i said.. :)

This may be a silly question but....has anyone written to the headmaster asking him to review the increase &/or to provide a better justification for this increase?

TBH I think contacting other parents via the school network & approaching the head en masse would be more effective than posting here & complaining the increase on thaivisa.

This thread just reads to me to be a way for one of two parents to vent & rally parents to move their children elsewhere rather than to open a discussion with the school.

This may be a silly question but....has anyone written to the headmaster asking him to review the increase &/or to provide a better justification for this increase?

TBH I think contacting other parents via the school network & approaching the head en masse would be more effective than posting here & complaining the increase on thaivisa.

This thread just reads to me to be a way for one of two parents to vent & rally parents to move their children elsewhere rather than to open a discussion with the school.

actually i think that from what we have read thus far this thread has been about the increased cost of sending a child to a school with a pool, good teachers, and offering secondary ed. it has been written that the schools pta has gone to the headmaster and parents have had direct meetings with the headmaster in the past when fees increased. one post mentioned a 22% increase over a short period of time, i have posted the possible income from 50 new students and others have questioned value for money and asked when will there ever be a cap. so i do not believe this is about motivating parents to change schools as much as it is about the perception of being taken adantage of and being in a captive market place.

As a concerned parent we have contacted some other schools on Samui. One the Samui centre of learning has informed us that they are showing any interested parents in their school around their newly built complex at 1.30 today . Anyone interested can go and meet at their old school in Lamai.

Just returned from being shown around Samui Centre Of Learning........

Absolutely fantastic and the headteacher and other teachers who showed us the new school are all very focused and straight talking.

I have put my childrens names down to start in September so.....sorry Jeremy...............this time you lose.

This will save me 2,500 UK Pounds per year. Meals included and a proper insurance policy that covers all eventualities rather than the rubbish Bluewater have in place which covers almost nothing.

All the teachers are fully qualified unlike Bluewater who have 3.... yes 3 non fully qualified teachers....

Anyone wanting to find an alternative please go and visit the school....You won't be disapointed!

Sinking ship comes to mind..........................!

As a concerned parent we have contacted some other schools on Samui. One the Samui centre of learning has informed us that they are showing any interested parents in their school around their newly built complex at 1.30 today . Anyone interested can go and meet at their old school in Lamai.

Absolutely fantastic and the headteacher and other teachers who showed us the new school are all very focused and straight talking.

I have put my childrens names down to start in September so.....sorry Jeremy...............this time you lose.

This will save me 2,500 UK Pounds per year. Meals included and a proper insurance policy that covers all eventualities rather than the rubbish Bluewater have in place which covers almost nothing.

All the teachers are fully qualified unlike Bluewater who have 3.... yes 3 non fully qualified teachers....

Anyone wanting to find an alternative please go and visit the school....You won't be disapointed!

It's alright saying that you will save 2.5k GBP per Year but if you are honestly planning to be on this Island Long Term, where are your Kids going to go to School 5 Years from now for example ??

It's a very bad situation as it's ok taking the Kids away from the School now but if we are to think long term & if we see our futures & out Childrens futures on this Island, our Kids need a School to go to & if Bluewater folds because of a mass exodus, then WE & OUR Kids lose, not Jeremy...

We should be looking at resolving this issue with Jeremy, not just immediately jumping Ship at the first sign of something that we don't agree with..

Just my 2 Pence worth..

It's alright saying that you will save 2.5k GBP per Year but if you are honestly planning to be on this Island Long Term, where are your Kids going to go to School 5 Years from now for example ??

It's a very bad situation as it's ok taking the Kids away from the School now but if we are to think long term & if we see our futures & out Childrens futures on this Island, our Kids need a School to go to & if Bluewater folds because of a mass exodus, then WE & OUR Kids lose, not Jeremy...

We should be looking at resolving this issue with Jeremy, not just immediately jumping Ship at the first sign of something that we don't agree with..

Just my 2 Pence worth..

As far as we are aware SLC have said they will increase the size of their school as the children get older, so in 5 years time there will not be a problem and I imagine maybe Bluewater might not be here, as many parents are getting upset. I would like to let people know that the fees at SLC include school lunches, which is an additional saving. Also I think people need to look into what school is a registered and which one isn't!

There are many Thai parents breaking the law, sending their children to a unregistered school and this information isn't necessarily being disclosed by the school. Expensive day care.......

Edited by maxheadroom007

Just my 2 Pence worth..

Whilst I'm not involved in this issue I am a parent in Thailand.

I applaud your concern regarding your child's future studies.

I so doing may I remind you that, if anyone is thinking ahead about University education in the U.K., unless your child has been resident in the U.K., for three years prior to entering University, they are classed as 'oversea's students and the full fee is payable.

For me this is a very sobering financial situation. :)

I have also been to Lamai today and my first impressions have been excellent. The discussions with the owners who were very proffessional were heart warming and a pleasant change. They certainly put the children first ( this is one of my big priorities) .

There is now a PTA meeting scheduled for tomorrow but i must admit that i fear the horse may already have bolted. To win back my trust will be very difficult. I am making a educated choice where i will send my children to be schooled. There are lots of considerations and this is not an easy time. I do feel that the underlying vibe at BW though has tipped the scales away from them and towards a school which has organically grown and seems to have the right values in place .

Clearly, next year the pupils who do attend will have one hel_l of a library and a science block probably better funded than NASA :D

It's actually " an " open forum & that's what i said.. :D

wow you should be a teacher thanks for correcting my english :)

For those who as of yet have not heard The headmaster has listened to some of the comments and no doubt read a few here on this thread. A letter which i will not post up has informed parents that a 5% discount will be given on the new school fees thus making the increase 2.5%

Clearly this will please some people although i am sure judging by some posts it has come far too late for others who appear to have had enough. Tomorrow there is a PTA meeting at school and i urge those concerned parents to attend and put your questions to the Headmaster. If you are not happy with the answers then you can make your choices then based upon all the information from the horses mouth so to speak. :)

I dont think anyone is making their decisions for the childrens education lightly.

For those who as of yet have not heard The headmaster has listened to some of the comments and no doubt read a few here on this thread. A letter which i will not post up has informed parents that a 5% discount will be given on the new school fees thus making the increase 2.5%

Clearly this will please some people although i am sure judging by some posts it has come far too late for others who appear to have had enough. Tomorrow there is a PTA meeting at school and i urge those concerned parents to attend and put your questions to the Headmaster. If you are not happy with the answers then you can make your choices then based upon all the information from the horses mouth so to speak. :)

I dont think anyone is making their decisions for the childrens education lightly.

I am solely interested in the best education for my children, which seems to be better offered elsewhere and 2.5% is still alot in the current financial climate. Especially as there has been a large influx of children to the school, surly any improvements would have more than enough covered my these additional students, also by adding the extra buildings and pool area, the school playing area has been reduced, with no space for the children to let off stream. I think it is just management getting very greedy and wanting to increase their own wages. It reminds me of what is going on with the politicians in the UK, although I don't think he owns a moat!

It's actually " an " open forum & that's what i said.. :D

wow you should be a teacher thanks for correcting my english :)

Lighten up, that's why i put the :D at the end, because of the context that we were in..

Just my 2 Pence worth..

As far as we are aware SLC have said they will increase the size of their school as the children get older, so in 5 years time there will not be a problem and I imagine maybe Bluewater might not be here, as many parents are getting upset. I would like to let people know that the fees at SLC include school lunches, which is an additional saving. Also I think people need to look into what school is a registered and which one isn't!

There are many Thai parents breaking the law, sending their children to a unregistered school and this information isn't necessarily being disclosed by the school. Expensive day care.......

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion & certainly entitiled to decide your Child;s future but if you think i'm changing, aside from the real issue here, to a place that says what i highlighted, especially here in Thailand, you've got another thing coming but i hope for your Children's sakes you make the right choice.. :)

Oh & Free Dinners are not going to swing it for me either i doubt.. :D

You talk about expensive Day Care, i have a feeling you've got the Schools mixed up to be honest, but that's just my opinion..

You cant be serious that fees are 210k a year...................???????no way..anyone pays that is CRAZY!!!!!

actually in those numbers i tried to underestimate the fees! so go figure....... I have a very good friend who was paying approx 700k per yr. for 2 children at BW.

700k.............madness....obscene and stupidity...best for ones kids, yes........but this had knocked me for six

2 Kids (aged 15) (day kids, not boarding)at Prem Centre in Chiang Mai will cost around a cool Million Baht. Ages 12-15 about 900K for the 2. Enrollment fees per head also come in at 130K++.

The school covers hundreds of rai of land and is a fine example of a school. Not everything is cheaper in Chiang Mai.

Regards Bojo

If the 7.5% can be reduced to 2.5% then the increase was purely for profit............think that gesture proves greed is the prevalent theme here....

I have been a resident on Samui for only a few months now and I have no real interest in the education on Samui. I have seen many topic forums that seem to become slanging matches between the various users with a number of issues raised. However this particular topic has made me stare in disbelief at some of the views expressed here.

I totally understand the concerns of the parents who are located at Bluewater. However I have also seen a copy of the letter. The first few lines of it could have been worded better, however I have read the rest of the letter. It does say that out of the 7.5% increase, 5% of it is for late fees being paid. So basically if there are parents that pay their fees late then effectively they pay the 7.5% increase As I understand from the information read, if you are a parent that pays on time then in real terms the increase is only 2.5%, which considering the increase over three months is not as big a financial burden for these people as this forum is suggesting. I don’t know who owns/operates the school but as I understand it, it’s a private school. So it is a private business that incurs late paying debtors like most private businesses do.

It simply sounds like they are trying to manage their cash flow. As an accountant I can tell you the cash flow of the business should be the one of the key focuses for any businesses, especially during this current economic climate. How many businesses have opened and closed because they didn’t have a decent cash flow???

So I do feel it’s a little unfair to say someone is greedy because they are simply running a business which is operating in the education market. The current climate has seen prices increase in all markets, what does a business do during these times to appease these extra costs? Often increase its prices!!

Also 2.5% is in line with general inflation rates, which as inflation means(prices increase) Just out of interest it would be interesting to see how many of the parents do actually pay late? I wonder if any of them are on here. :)

After having read this topic I couldn't stand not to sign up and show my opinion.

I'm a 100% Thai mother who sends her kid to Blue Water. Funny is I've understood, since I got the first letter that came with the invoice, that if you pay on time (1 month earlier to the opening of new coming semester) you'll get a 5% discount, not like they just offer this deal after they got negative feedback from some parents. So if you want 5% discount...pay on time... or read more clear as you are all native English speakers I guess.

So from the beginning it's only a 2.5 % increase, with 5% extra if you wish to pay late. Sounds reasonable to me in the current economic climate. I'd rather have my kid in a school with good facilities which is financially healthy than in a school which is nothing more than a Thai public school with English teachers and which has to rely on donations to survive. I have seen what stress many kids and parents got when they had to move from Open Gates when the money ran out and hate to see this happen to any kid or parent. So my money is with the school that has most chance of supplying my kid with quality education now and in the many years to come.

After having read this topic I couldn't stand not to sign up and show my opinion.

I'm a 100% Thai mother who sends her kid to Blue Water. Funny is I've understood, since I got the first letter that came with the invoice, that if you pay on time (1 month earlier to the opening of new coming semester) you'll get a 5% discount, not like they just offer this deal after they got negative feedback from some parents. So if you want 5% discount...pay on time... or read more clear as you are all native English speakers I guess.

So from the beginning it's only a 2.5 % increase, with 5% extra if you wish to pay late. Sounds reasonable to me in the current economic climate. I'd rather have my kid in a school with good facilities which is financially healthy than in a school which is nothing more than a Thai public school with English teachers and which has to rely on donations to survive. I have seen what stress many kids and parents got when they had to move from Open Gates when the money ran out and hate to see this happen to any kid or parent. So my money is with the school that has most chance of supplying my kid with quality education now and in the many years to come.

& that's at Bluewater, good Post... :)

My son goes to Blue Water School and I feel that I need to give my comments on this forum. My son has been attending school at Blue Water for almost two years and as parents, we are really pleased with our son's development, also the way the school has extended his facilities and the quality of teachers. One thing that we have to bear in mind, to find good quality of teacher on the island is a challange and will always be a challange in the future. All good teachers of course would rather leave in a city or places where they can be exposed more, or if they stay on the island a decent compensation should be given.

We feel that Jeremy, the Headmaster has been always approchable, he talk to every parents and always making sure that any issues is getting resolved. Please remember that this school is only two years old and I believe it is a learning curve for the Headmaster too. In my opinion, whenever there is any issue with the school, teacher or any other thing related to the school, it is very important that a solution is provided. Jeremy is always there when we need help. He always update parents on what happens with the school through his newsletters.

I totally agree with parents that find it difficult with the increase of a school fee, especially with current economic circumstances. We feel the same too. On the other hand, I am sure Jeremy as the headmaster who aim to be the best school also need to ensure that he keep the quality of the school teachers, school facilities, etc. Since to my knowledge Jeremy is always approachable, I just wonder why don't we discuss the issue with him to find a solution instead of writting comments about the school that our children currently attending. I would accept this if we try to address this issue and nothing happen.

I understand there will be a meeting tomorrow and I believe there must a win win solution. I kind of like the idea of offering a 5% discount if parents are paying on time, considering the school has been so flexible letting parent only paying on the first day of school, while the school will have to keep the seat without any guarantee all this time.

My point here is trying to see this from both parties, as we have to also admit over the past two years the school has been developed a lot, with great facilities. Please also try to compare Blue Water school with other comparable International School in Bangkok, most of them that have the same facility and curriculum will ask you to pay significantly higher than what Blue Water is currently charging. Not to mention that the facility at Blue Water is either the same or better than most comparable International schools in Bangkok.

Can someone please explain,I'm rather confused here. The increase was only 2.5% & not 7.5% ? You mean this whole debate is all about people misreading the notice?

Well yes & no, the Increase is 7.5% however if you pay the School Fee's when asked within the right time frame that the School gives, you receive a 5% discount on that Terms School Fee's..

Ok so I give up

Myabe people have read the letter in differnt ways depending on how they normally pay the fees.

The original letter for the new school years fees states that “The school tuition fees have increased by 7.5%”

Then it goes on to say

“I will be continuing to offer a 10% discount off tuition fees if they are paid one year in advance”

So therefore this still represents a 7.5% increase. (Last year parents were offered the 10% discount if they paid for one year in advance also)

However if you wish to pay per term you will receive a 5% discount if you are willing to pay 1 month in advance. (Last years terms were payment due 1 month before the 1st day of term).

The new letter released today (and thankfully also emailed to parents this time) states

“As long as school fees are paid 1 month in advance of the start of term then there will be an additional 5% discount off the school fees as explained in my earlier letter”

So please correct me if I am wrong I can either pay 1 year in advance and pay an increase of 7.5% or pay per term and only pay an increase of 2.5% (taking into account the 5% discount applied).

I am now worried for the first time that my children are been taught Maths, English and Business studies at Bluewater.

English - If we change the way we word things people will believe that are been offered a better deal - I don’t really have a problem with this except for under estimating the intelligence of its customer base.

Math’s – Question have the fees been increased by 7.5% or 2.5% (it would appear it depends how much you are willing to pay upfront) - again I don’t have a problem with this other than paying more upfront normally means more discount.

Business Studies – A company that is looking for future investment normally offers better terms to its customers that are willing to pay more up-front rather than the customers that commit to paying less, ie 1 year in advance versus 1 term in advance.

Hopefully the meeting tomorrow will explain to the parents the options they have.

Unless there is a new offer you have the choice of either moving your children to another school or paying 1 year in advance (which is what I did last year) and pay the 7.5% increase or you pay the fees per term and benefit from only a 2.5% increase.

No matter which way you look at it the fees have increased by 7.5% and I would bet that next year just like this year the new fee increase will be based on this years fees without any discounts applied.

I guess I will just wait and see what is said at the meeting tomorrow like everyone else and then make my decision.

The Headmaster has indeed agreed (as far as I can see from the wording of the letter) - extended the 5% discount for this year to all parents paying on time - making the net increase FOR THIS YEAR 2.5%.

This begs the question why this was not communicated as a 2.5% increase with enforced penalties for those paying late in the first place!!

HOWEVER - be warned - the school fees have not been reduced to reflect this. They are still set at a 7.5% increase across the board. So next year, if and when the discount is withdrawn and for the 4th year in a row the fees increase by 7.5% - this will mean a 12.5% increase.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also went to see SCL yesterday, who incidentally are at Stage 2 of the application for International Status and will be the first school on the island to obtain this. Incidentally Bluewater, where are you with this - you have been promising this for 2 years? No doubt when and if you get it that will be another excuse for prohibitive price hikes.

My two children will be enrolled at SCL today - don't want to miss the boat on that!!

I am sorry but actually if you paid all your fees upfront annually the raise was 7.5%. I am English and can read English. I pay me fees totally upfront yet i was to be penalised with a 7.5% rise while those who pay later were rewarded with a 5% discount. Good business sense to reward your loyal customers who pay the whole amount upfront ! I do not understand the Thai public school comment at all. As you are 100% Thai it is good to have your commnets on here to get a rounded opinion can you answer if it is true as an earlier poster said that you are in fact breaking the law by sending your thai child to an unregistered school. Thank you

If the 7.5% can be reduced to 2.5% then the increase was purely for profit............think that gesture proves greed is the prevalent theme here....

[/size]

I have been a resident on Samui for only a few months now and I have no real interest in the education on Samui. I have seen many topic forums that seem to become slanging matches between the various users with a number of issues raised. However this particular topic has made me stare in disbelief at some of the views expressed here.

I totally understand the concerns of the parents who are located at Bluewater. However I have also seen a copy of the letter. The first few lines of it could have been worded better, however I have read the rest of the letter. It does say that out of the 7.5% increase, 5% of it is for late fees being paid. So basically if there are parents that pay their fees late then effectively they pay the 7.5% increase As I understand from the information read, if you are a parent that pays on time then in real terms the increase is only 2.5%, which considering the increase over three months is not as big a financial burden for these people as this forum is suggesting. I don't know who owns/operates the school but as I understand it, it's a private school. So it is a private business that incurs late paying debtors like most private businesses do.

It simply sounds like they are trying to manage their cash flow. As an accountant I can tell you the cash flow of the business should be the one of the key focuses for any businesses, especially during this current economic climate. How many businesses have opened and closed because they didn't have a decent cash flow???

So I do feel it's a little unfair to say someone is greedy because they are simply running a business which is operating in the education market. The current climate has seen prices increase in all markets, what does a business do during these times to appease these extra costs? Often increase its prices!!

Also 2.5% is in line with general inflation rates, which as inflation means(prices increase) Just out of interest it would be interesting to see how many of the parents do actually pay late? I wonder if any of them are on here. :)

Wow i hope i am not using you as my account !! what about the extra 3.4 million revenue generated this term by the new pupils from OG , What about the extra revenue stream of 10.5 million the next year from these pupils if fees had stayed the same . according to the Thailand commerce offical website Inflation is currently predicted to be 0.5% annualy and they are refusing to talk of deflation despite the last two months showing negative inflation . When doing accounts, numbers can say many things as we all know. Hence everything must be put into the mix. I agree that any good business must cover the bad and late payers as the debt can be crippling so why alienate your core good creditors by charging them considerbaly more if they pay a year in advance . Good accounting i am not sure i am not an accountant . But it scares me how all of this is being worked out on what appears to be a 7.5% increase every year . Thats why i am worried about where the school is going. Bad fiscial management along with good payers leaving is not a receipe for a long term future of a school . We have seen OG already close through bad financial desicions and when planning your childrens future here on Samui it is unfortunately a large factor.

The second letter sent out seems to imply that many parents do not pay on time or are very late. Is this beacuse they are struggling already or because they are bad managers of their finances. Either way if so many are doing this why increase the fees even higher. Why build new building if you are concerned about the cash flow.

I applaud the schools attempt to bring the best teachers and provide the best facilities i just want it to grow at a sustainable rate so it is here for the long term and not another business which take steh money and then implodes. BW has started well but the 22% increase in 18 months with the etxra revenues coming in is worrying. Where would we have been and what fees would we have been facing if the 30% increase in pupils had not come along. Equally where will the school be if as predicted several of teh good creditors decide to vote with their fiscal feet and support another school .

You say you have no interest in this topic hopefully you can see that a lot of us do and that these concerns are very real and very worrying. A good business thrives on customer loyalty and support lets not forget Mr Ratner and his jewellery chain !!