150 2 Stroke Against 400cc

Hi Maichai.

Sorry I didnt come last night to check and this afternoon i woke up at 1 and did some homework. Now I need to go teach a class of english. I sometimes like to go to nana to smoke a little shisha, but want to quite. it bugs my girlfriend so much.

Id love to come check out what youve got. I have alot of spare time, though saturday and sunday are full days. But Mon through friday I only work 5 hours. 1.5 on monday at 6pm, 1.5 hours on wednesday at 6pm and 2 hours on thursday at 4pm.

I need to go shower now and tach, but ill check back tonight.

Thanks man, Lenny

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a foreigner get bike finance? Was wondering if anyone had done this? Or is it a case of putting the bike in the gf's name and she has the responsibility to pay it (good way to keep her faithful to you). I hate all the racism against foreigners; we should be able to get loans and finance like anyone else; if we don't pay its a secured loan and they can take whatever is used as collateral (bike, apartment, etc).

I'm currently paying for my Fino on finance and will more than likely be getting a cbr 150 on finance too. I have a job and work permit which was needed.

Maichai. I'm just about to buy a Tzm to bumble around on and i have a bet with INTJ to get a 2t 150 over 180kmh. As far as i know its the same engine as yours.... so any tips?

The one thing that surprised me was how effortlessly it kicked over. Did not seem as though there was much compression, is this normal?

Well for 6,000b no biggy even if i have to rebuild the topend.

I presume from your previous posts that the parts for a rebuild are available.

Allan

You can test compression by removing the spark plug, open the throttle fully, stick your thumb over the spark plug hole, and kick it over. If the compression is good it will blow your thumb away. More likely its gunged up with 2t oil. Change the spark plug and clean the power valve (it does make a whirling noise when you turn on the ignition?)

Top end rebuild is dead easy. No valves, so just remove the four bolts holding the cylinder onto the crackcase, carefully lift off cylinder, exposing piston (oops need to take the tank off first and drain the water, but thats easy. no need to drain the oil). You can then remove the clips holding the piston in place and slide out the central pin. Then scrape off the carbon on the top of the piston to see what oversize piston you have. They are in 0.25mm increments, so 0.25 (or 25), 50, 75, etc. The larger the number indicates how many times the cylinder has been skimmed/larger piston put in. Then check the cylinder liner for marks. With a 2stroke you get 'stutter' rings. If it needs skimming, temporarily bolt the cylinder back on, and remove the cylinder head bolts (these are much more difficult to remove hence why folks open it up cylinder/crackshaft to take a look). If you need to reskim/new piston, clean it all up and go and find a workshop to do the work for you. Make sure they give you a piston that matches the over bore they have done for you (plus piston rings). I have done this for my NSR; have not done this for the TZR, but its the same. I had the cylinder liner replaced as it got cracked when the piston hit the power valve! 1500baht for new liner, piston, rings and the folks to do the work. Should be much less for a skim/new piston (piston is 250baht typically).

PS: I am jealous; would not mind a TZM :) 6000 is a good price; you may need to spend another 5k on bringing it up to scratch, but still a bargain at 11K. Both my NSR and TZR have cost about that (NSR at 5000b; TZR at 7500b, but in good condition;the difference is to bring them up to scratch and fix issues). Alot of TZR/Ms on the road and sharing parts with lots of other Yammys, so dead easy to get parts/cheap. I am a fan; love my TZR :D Maybe I can upgrade to a TZM :D

Thanks for that MaiChai. Yep the powervalve ummm powers. there were a couple of Tzm's on Mocyc the last couple of weeks. The Tzm I'm looking at isn't to bad condition wise, I think its been sat a while so I'm going to do the brakes and change the tyres, rebuild the forks etc. Also a fair bit of oil around the exhaust. I like the Michelin pilot sportys but i'm also looking at the Dunlop TT900GP's any idea where i might get them in the sizes i need. Allan

Edited by thaicbr

I have been putting off doing my TZR forks (leaking), however, last couple of days they make a squeeking noise when I brake hard and stick, so looks like they have run out of oil and I will have to do them :) Just done the NSR ones so should be a doddle.

Lenny mentioned some problems with his bike:

Speedo not working: Either cable or the gear is gunged up. This very low tech so is similar to speedo on a wave (well looks identical). Its dead easy to fix. Disconnect the speedo cable from the from wheel and spin the wire. Does it spin or is it stuck? Do the speed register on the speedo? Disconnect the speedo cable from the speedo end; check the inner cable; is it stuck or broken? I recon most likely problem is the gear is siezed in the wheel (grease gunged up). Very low tech and easy to fix.

Two stroke bikes drip oil from the exhaust. It may also drip oil from the 2t tank hose/overflow. It may leak on the oil pump when the hoses connect to the oil pump. May leak on the carb. If its the 4t oil leaking then maybe oil drain has a leak (or not tight enough) or gasket leaking (try tighening the bolts either side of the engine. Whatever the problem, probably not serious. A design fault on the NSR 2t tank, you can get a leak from where the low oil sensor is; I used to only fill it no higher than the sensor, then I had the idea of removing the sensor, putting some electrical tape round it to make it wider, and then glued it in with silicon rubber (after degreasing it). Oil leak has now gone away :D

Question about the carb.

I had a Rx-7 that used oil injection but the oil pumps were notoriously faulty.

So ran oil mixed fuel to nip any problems in the bud, do you two stroke guys do the same thing?

Lenny man wish i lived closer I would say we get the manual and just go through the whole bike part by part!

• 2 weeks later...
So Lenny, are you selling the vfr? I might be interested.

Chris

Actually after alot of insecurity I will be selling it for real this time. Its already been posted before, first at 60k then down to 50k in the classifieds form, though needing new tires. Because I thought id keep for a while i put new pirellies on it for 8500 baht. Now it will be advertised at 60k. Its a nice bike. Hasnt had any problems in a long time. Drive it lots...

I'm just about to buy a Tzm to bumble around on and i have a bet with INTJ to get a 2t 150 over 180kmh. As far as i know its the same engine as yours.... so any tips?

Tips? PUT THE RIDER ON A DIET. :) Either get a 12 year old or midget as your pilot...should have no problems reaching 180km/h.