Can I Live In Thailand On A Touristvisa?

I am danish, 36 years, on early retirement. Is it possible for me to live in Thailand?

It seems like my only option is touristvisa - if that is really true, for how long can I then renew this kind of visa in order to keep up my life in Thailand?

Regards Baron72.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of people living here on tourist visas. You can get a 3 entry before leaving Denmark that would give you a total of almost 9 months without getting another visa.

Another option is to get a multiple entry non immigrant O visa to vist friends. This would allow you to stay for 90 days each entry for almost 15 months if you do an entry just before it expires. The consulate in Stuttgart Germany issues these without a problem. They accept mail in applications from all of Europe.

You could also study Thai and get a ED visa/extension of stay. With this you would not need to leave every 90 days. Most schools only require you to attend class for 4 hours a week to get the extensions. Click on one of the forum sponsors adverts for more info on this option.

I am danish, 36 years, on early retirement. Is it possible for me to live in Thailand?

It seems like my only option is touristvisa - if that is really true, for how long can I then renew this kind of visa in order to keep up my life in Thailand?

Regards Baron72.

Baron, I early retirement as well in Thailand at 39-40 years/old, that was 11 years ago.

At the beginning I got a 1 year visa / multiple journeys (2 years), later on I received only some 3*3 visa (3 years)

Then I find a more understanding consulate who issues me a 1 year visa (5-6 years).

Shop around, my country is not Europe

Need to said, they like to see some financial stability !

Regards Baron72.

As other posters here have pointed out, it is currently possible to renew tourist visas / entry stamps and stay for a prolonged period. Whether you do this depends on how secure you like your life to be - claiming to be a tourist when you are actually a resident leaves you vulnerable to exclusion from the life that you are planning to build in Thailand. For some years now, the Thai authorities have been putting the squeeze on 'resident tourism', making it harder to get repeat visas or do visa runs. Better to get the right visa if you want to migrate, which in Thailand might be difficult for you unless you are marrried or working.

Baron, I early retirement as well in Thailand at 39-40 years/old, that was 11 years ago.

At the beginning I got a 1 year visa / multiple journeys (2 years), later on I received only some 3*3 visa (3 years)

Then I find a more understanding consulate who issues me a 1 year visa (5-6 years).

Shop around, my country is not Europe

Need to said, they like to see some financial stability !

huh?????? :):D

Regards Baron72.

I sold a company in Europe when I was 40, and have been here in Thailand since. On entry stamps and touristvisa only. 6 1/2 years now.

Getting a non imm O from Stuttgart you still have to leave the country every 90 days, like I do to get a new touristvisa. Its a good solution if you are still in Europe, to cover your first 15 months.

When I get 50 in a few years, Ill get a non imm o retirementvisa, and with 800k in a thai bankaccount you dont need to leave the country.

Welcome to Paradise :)

huh?????? :):D

:D:D

annoyed / unsure

I will clarify my post.

Some consulates are more king to issue a 1 year visa.

Melbourne / Sydney is not on of them, I will not comment or disclose the one I am using.

Friendly consulates VS non friendly embassy or consulate.

After 5 -6 years running around, I email the consul and ask him in my situation if he could issue me with one year visa.

Now I get a one year visa without a problem, I am not married or have kids, just want to live here.

I presume if the opp want to retired under 40, he is in a good financial situation.

That is one of the condition (financial is an important part to be approve)

I have not be ask to apply for a retirement, I am 51 now, will do it is need it.

Your one year means a multiple entry visa.

There have been several reports that Perth will do a non-o to visit friends.

There is even an ongoing topic about it in the pinned topic about the latest reports of getting a visa at the top of page one of this forum.

There is even an ongoing topic about it in the pinned topic about the latest reports of getting a visa at the top of page one of this forum.

Has anyone had any experience with Brisbane for the same?

I seem to recall a post where they did.

Contact them and ask.

From here most people have been going to Perth because the airfare is lower.

Gary, they are very good there (Brisbane)

yes, Udonjoe, 1 year multiple entry, I have to do a visa run every three months as well.

Much more easy to handle as a 2*60 days I can only get in Paris

Or a 3*90 days I use to get in other part of Australia.

Every time I am out Thailand I do not loose a entry

Edited by simcity

The proper answer is no, not legally as living equals residency not tourist. However; so many people do it but the laws are changing to put an end to it so the best advice (which I can't believe no one gave you) would be to contact someone like Thai Visa, the lawyers there would be able to give you the best advice.

The proper answer is no, not legally as living equals residency not tourist. However; so many people do it but the laws are changing to put an end to it so the best advice (which I can't believe no one gave you) would be to contact someone like Thai Visa, the lawyers there would be able to give you the best advice.

The goverment does not seem to care if you stay here on a visa of any kind. As long as you enter legally and leave before your permit to stay is up then it does not seem to matter to the goverment.

I have seen nothing that says the law is changing.

The only people the goverment is trying to stop are those that are working without a work permit.

The one thing it does not like is people trying to live her by doing constant border runs to get visa exempt entries.

The goverment does not seem to care if you stay here on a visa of any kind. As long as you enter legally and leave before your permit to stay is up then it does not seem to matter to the goverment.

The only people the goverment is trying to stop are those that are working without a work permit.

The one thing it does not like is people trying to live her by doing constant border runs to get visa exempt entries.

True, but all this could change any time. A tourist, by definition is someone who visits a country for sightseeing and resides elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourists

The TM card that you fill in and sign when you enter the country is an official document, and ticking 'tourist' as your reason for entry, when in fact you intend to reside, is a false declaration and is illegal. Moreover, residing in a country on a tourist visa is breaking the conditions upon which that visa was granted - the stated purpose of stay is for tourism - such a visa could therefore be cancelled at any time.

Hence, it is rather short sighted to plan a life in a country on tourist visas. The fact that people can get away with it doesn't make it legal, and serves as no guarantee that things won't change at the drop of a hat.

The TM card that you fill in and sign when you enter the country is an official document, and ticking 'tourist' as your reason for entry, when in fact you intend to reside, is a false declaration and is illegal. Moreover, residing in a country on a tourist visa is breaking the conditions upon which that visa was granted - the stated purpose of stay is for tourism - such a visa could therefore be cancelled at any time.

Hence, it is rather short sighted to plan a life in a country on tourist visas. The fact that people can get away with it doesn't make it legal, and serves as no guarantee that things won't change at the drop of a hat.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people post in the Visa forum just to put in their moralistic views of what they consider is right and wrong in an attempt to worry people.

All visa regulations, requirements and policies are constantly changing in Thailand. That's the reason why this busy forum exists in the first place - to keep us up to date about changes. There is no point worrying about what may happen in the future. The only guarantee is that changes WILL happen.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people post in the Visa forum just to put in their moralistic views of what they consider is right and wrong in an attempt to worry people.

All visa regulations, requirements and policies are constantly changing in Thailand. That's the reason why this busy forum exists in the first place - to keep us up to date about changes. There is no point worrying about what may happen in the future. The only guarantee is that changes WILL happen.

Wrong, he stated how it is in legal perspective. He was not posting his own views, only facts. Those guys you are talking about are in few other threads where they claim they should be allowed here without any visa indefinedly. Also there is the other lot that claims that it is not illegal to work in thailand if they do it "in internet" and money is paid offshore and so on...

But i'm sure they can be found here as well in no time.

True, but all this could change any time. A tourist, by definition is someone who visits a country for sightseeing and resides elsewhere.

The wiki page gives this definition of tourist.

Tourism is travel for recreational, leisure or business purposes. The World Tourism Organization defines tourists as people who "travel to and stay in places outside their usual environment for more than twenty-four (24) hours and not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes not related to the exercise of an activity remunerated from within the place visited"

Definition ot consecutive.

ADJECTIVE:
  1. Following one after another without interruption; successive
So in reality people that are using tourist visas are still tourists even if they are here for many years because they have to leave the country every 90 days.

Tourism is travel for recreational, leisure or business purposes. The World Tourism Organization defines tourists as people who "travel to and stay in places outside their usual environment for more than twenty-four (24) hours and not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes not related to the exercise of an activity remunerated from within the place visited"

ADJECTIVE:
So in reality people that are using tourist visas are still tourists even if they are here for many years because they have to leave the country every 90 days.

Right on spot Ubonjoe. Thanks :)

I love it when people start tossing out what the definition of "tourist" is. What they think or believe is irrelevant. It only matters what the Thai authorities say. If they issue you the visas, you are legal. They aren't idiots. They can see how many times you've gotten a Tourist Visa and how long you've been in the country.

ADJECTIVE:

But you don't make or enforce the Thai immigration rules, Ubonjoe, the Thai government does.

Tourists visit, they aren't allowed to set up a residence, and that's why so many countries start turning down visa applications from tourists when it becomes unbelievable that they are there for tourism, and have in fact set up a residence. When people come to live, they are not 'outside their normal environment' anymore, so they are not tourists. Thailand could clamp down on 'resident tourists' anytime, making them qualify for substantive visas like non-imm instead, or excluding them, just as it is putting the squeeze on visa runners.

Semantics aside, it is illegal to declare that you are a tourist on an official document when in fact you intend to reside in a country. While the Thais have so far tolerated this practice, I wouldn't be advising people to sell up, move over and set up a life in Thailand on the basis of exploiting what is essentially a loophole, and encouraging them to make declarations on visa applications and landing cards that may be regarded by the authorities as false.

I can't understand why you encourage people to make such important life decisions based on such a precarious set of circumstances. Resident tourists are no more secure than visa runners, and could lose a great deal if they were lulled into a false sense of security in such an important life decision.

Edited by dbrenn

I reread my original post and didn't find any moralising. Just warning people that loopholes can and are closed summarily, and that this should be factored into important decisions like moving to live in a foreign country on the basis making false declarations about intended purpose of stay.

Edited by dbrenn

Agree with dbrenn.

You only has to go as far as Singapore and do few border runs as "tourist" and next thing you know they stamp you 5 days in which time you need to sort out your status or stop abusing the system.

Although Singapore now stamps at least european passports for 90 day tourist visit upon arrival.

There are a lot of people living here on tourist visas. You can get a 3 entry before leaving Denmark that would give you a total of almost 9 months without getting another visa.

Another option is to get a multiple entry non immigrant O visa to vist friends. This would allow you to stay for 90 days each entry for almost 15 months if you do an entry just before it expires. The consulate in Stuttgart Germany issues these without a problem. They accept mail in applications from all of Europe.

You could also study Thai and get a ED visa/extension of stay. With this you would not need to leave every 90 days. Most schools only require you to attend class for 4 hours a week to get the extensions. Click on one of the forum sponsors adverts for more info on this option.

These are the simple facts about the visa situation for the OP, which I'd say answer the original question fully and well.

As far as the rest of the thread goes, I'd say to him read a lot of the other threads on the forum about visa runs, changes in regulations etc. etc., before making up your mind.

Agree with dbrenn.

You only has to go as far as Singapore and do few border runs as "tourist" and next thing you know they stamp you 5 days in which time you need to sort out your status or stop abusing the system.

Although Singapore now stamps at least european passports for 90 day tourist visit upon arrival.

Elsewhere too - here's a tragic story about a guy who spent a fortune setting up shop in Australia on a multi entry long validity 676 tourist visa in anticipation of getting a retirement visa, only to find that they had changed the rules and he has to go home:

http://britishexpats.com/articles/australi...ment-nightmare/

Ubonjoe's advice "Everyone's doing it, so don't worry" wouldn't have helped this poor soul either. Living in a loophole is risky, to say the least, and should not be recommended as it could cause substantial financial losses.

Edited by dbrenn

Ubonjoe's advice "Everyone's doing it, so don't worry"

"There are a lot of people living here on tourist visas."

If you are going to quote me at least get it right. There is a big difference between the two.

I made a statment of fact. I did not give any advice.

I did not give any advice.

I will.

Ubonjoe is correct in what he said. There are a lot living here on Tourist Visas. Quite possible the way things are at the moment. But not a great long term strategy as things could change.

Glad you are in agreement:

1) Yes, a lot of people are living in Thailand on tourist visas

2) Yes, staying in a foreign country by claiming to be a tourist when you are not one is a precarious existence and is subject to change

I think that the answer to the OP question "Can I live in Thailand on a tourist visa" is clear: Legally you can't live anywhere while declaring your status as a tourist; in Thailand, people get away with it by exploiting a loophole in the system.

I did not give any advice.

I will.

Ubonjoe is correct in what he said. There are a lot living here on Tourist Visas. Quite possible the way things are at the moment. But not a great long term strategy as things could change.

There are also a lot living here on Non imm O. To visit friends issued in Hull, Perth or Stuttgart. Things could change.

I think LOS is happy about the touristvisa situation since this is a good income compared to other visas. 1.000 baht 4 times a year for the visa and 1900 baht 4 times a year for the extensions. Thats 11.600/year in visa/extension fees.

If things canges there are options.

Ubonjoe's advice "Everyone's doing it, so don't worry"

"There are a lot of people living here on tourist visas."

If you are going to quote me at least get it right. There is a big difference between the two.

I made a statment of fact. I did not give any advice.

I understand that Ubonjoe, but the way you state this fact and then explain to people how to go about doing it looks like advice.

When people's entire financial futures might be at stake, a caveat statement on the risks involved in setting up shop in a foreign country on a tourist visa might be considered a service from the experienced to the inexperienced.

Edited by dbrenn

Things could change .... If things canges there are options.

That's the part that people should be warned about - always have a plan B if your situation regards visas is precarious, and there is none more precarious than someone living in a country on a tourist visa.

Edited by dbrenn

Yes,DBrenn you just pinpointed it out.I Think Mr Denmark Will do score on being a bit Personal (if i may say so)Write a in your own handwrite,make an appointment with the Consulate (preferably) Go there, talk with them and if they feel you will be a positiv "force" in Thailand ,,,No problem! ( and ofcourse u have a stable inncome) Good luck :) .....Hope what i say is "understandable"