12 Month Non-immigrant Visa - First Time To Renew @ 90 Days

My husband and I have 12-month non-immigrant visas. The stamp shows 30 Jun 2009 - which I assume is the LAST date that we must leave/re-enter the Kingdom. (go out before the 30th is what I assume this means)

My question is:

1. In regard all this air/land information I keep reading about - Does air/land arrival entry effect this type of visa?
  2. I have heard rumor that we may not actually have to leave at all - that we could go to an office in Bangkok and ask for an extension there?
  3. If so - can anyone tell me WHICH office and WHERE it is? (thanks!)
  4. We were told when we received the visas that we would only have to do this one time - that we could request an extension for 12 months after handling this first 90-day issue. Did we misunderstand that? Possibly the Counslate was referring to requesting 12 MORE months at the end of the first 12 months?
  5. If that is the case, I imagine we will have to do something each 90 days...but, again, back to question #2 - can we handle this in Bangkok instead of actually leaving the kingdom and returning?

Thanks for the advice!

All the best,

Thanks for some clear advice.

Edited by debbieinthailand

If you qualify you can get an extension of stay for 1 year at the immigration office where you live.

If you are over 50 you can get can get an extension for retirement. This requires an income of 65,000 baht per month proven by a letter from your embassy or 800,000 baht in Thai bank for 60 days or a combination of the 2 totaling 800,000 baht.

If you cannot meet theise requirements then you should make your last entry before the 30th.

It does not matter if you make land or air entries in any way.

You cannot get a new visa here. You will have to go to a conulate or embassy to get a new visa.

You have a non-O based on what reason? Marriage to a Thai national, volunteering, retirement?

Great connections? :)

Yeah, I know...don't hate me....

I just want to know if we need to do the "run" - so, I guess the answer is Yes, so we will plan a trip somewhere close...

Thank you,

Don't worry, I don't hate you.

If you meet the criteria you can get an extension of stay. To determine what the criteria are in your circumstance we need to know why you are staying in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa.

My husband and I have 12-month non-immigrant visas. The stamp shows 30 Jun 2009 - which I assume is the LAST date that we must leave/re-enter the Kingdom. (go out before the 30th is what I assume this means)

My question is:

1. In regard all this air/land information I keep reading about - Does air/land arrival entry effect this type of visa?
  2. I have heard rumor that we may not actually have to leave at all - that we could go to an office in Bangkok and ask for an extension there?
  4. We were told when we received the visas that we would only have to do this one time - that we could request an extension for 12 months after handling this first 90-day issue. Did we misunderstand that? Possibly the Counslate was referring to requesting 12 MORE months at the end of the first 12 months?
  5. If that is the case, I imagine we will have to do something each 90 days...but, again, back to question #2 - can we handle this in Bangkok instead of actually leaving the kingdom and returning?

Thanks for the advice!

All the best,

You don't need to do the run if you qualify for "one year extension of stay". This you can get based on retirement, marriage to thai national, having a work permit and some other reasons. However you need to qualify for this as there is age, income etc requirements.

The reason why guys were asking so much additional info was for them to give you specific advice. Please read the pinned topics in visa section. It explains the difference between visa and one year extension of stay. But in simple terms with one year non-immigrant visa you need to leave the country every 90 days and with one year extension of stay you just need to report your address in nearest immigration office every 90 days so no need to do border runs.

For your questions:

1. doen not matter, you get new 90 day stamp from both when you have valid non-immigrant visa

2. Refer above, you can get one year extension of stay if you qualify, then no need to leave country

3. In Bangkok immigration office is in Soi Suan Plu (Sathorn Soi 3) off the Sathorn Road.

4. Correct, if you qualify for the one year extension of stay then no need for visas anymore, see above

5. When you get one year extension of stay you need to report in immigration every 90 days (address reporting). Simple thing to do but you do not need to go yourself but your passports must go. Meaning some people use agents to do the running for them.

As you say you are both here on visa i assume the reason is retirement. To get one year extension of stay based on retirement you need to be over 50 years old and have monthly income of 65,000 baht or deposit in thai bank account for 800,000 and it has to be there 2 ot 3 months before you apply (once approved you can use the money for expenses).

There is lot of information in the forum what documents are needed etc. You can always visit immigration office and they will tell you what to do. Also there is option to employ visa agents to do it for you but that costs money and you still need to provide the docs.

However if you qualify it is the way to go. With re-entry permit you can travel as you wish and there is no set date for you to go out every 90 days. naturally costs are way lower than border runs.

"..90 days (address reporting). Simple thing to do but you do not need to go yourself but your passports must go."

Many immigration offices allow you to report your address by mail. You do not have to send your passport, just a copy of it.

I live in Chiang Mai, am married to a Thai, I'm 60, surpass the minimum income requirements, and have a Non-0 Marriage Visa. Immigration office here is C.M. is very helpful, and once it was approved, they smiled and told me "See you December 3".

I actually prefer the marriage visa as there's no "reporting every 90 days" as there is with a retirement visa. Do it once a year and that's it.

I live in Chiang Mai, am married to a Thai, I'm 60, surpass the minimum income requirements, and have a Non-0 Marriage Visa. Immigration office here is C.M. is very helpful, and once it was approved, they smiled and told me "See you December 3".

I actually prefer the marriage visa as there's no "reporting every 90 days" as there is with a retirement visa. Do it once a year and that's it.

You don't have a visa you have an extension of stay.

You got some incorect information or misunderstood.

Anybody that has an extension of stay and is staying more than 90 days has to make the reports.

I am on an extension based upon marriage and have to make the reports.

As said the same 90 day reporting is required for anyone staying in Thailand longer than 90 days in a row on a non immigrant visa entry extension of stay. The marriage extension requires more paperwork. the wife, and normally at least one more visit than retirement.

Edited by lopburi3

So I guess you got your extension of stay in December and have not made any 90-day reporting.

Bring 2000 baht for the fine (not making 90-day report) and go to immigration and make your 90-day report.

I also have extension of stay based on marriage.

So I guess you got your extension of stay in December and have not made any 90-day reporting.

Bring 2000 baht for the fine (not making 90-day report) and go to immigration and make your 90-day report.

I also have extension of stay based on marriage.

Yep. Better to get in over and done with. 2,000 Baht fine and they will find out eventually.

It could even be a lot more if you are caught out.

Humm, ok, this is interesting. It's too late to day to go to Immigration, so I'll go first thing in the morning, but I swear when they gave me the Non-O Marriage Visa, NOTHING was said about reporting every 90 days. My wife was there with me and they would have told her. The ONLY thing that was said was "See you December 3", and that was it.

Well, guess it's off to Immigration tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks Guys.

Humm, ok, this is interesting. It's too late to day to go to Immigration, so I'll go first thing in the morning, but I swear when they gave me the Non-O Marriage Visa, NOTHING was said about reporting every 90 days. My wife was there with me and they would have told her. The ONLY thing that was said was "See you December 3", and that was it.

Well, guess it's off to Immigration tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks Guys.

I know we keep on banging on about it but you have a 12 month Extension of your Temporary Permission to Stay in the Kingdom based on your Marriage. Not a Visa. :)

90 Day Reporting. See here http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

Bear in mind that this is now out of date and you have to report to your local office

The commissioned officer that gave you your passport you'll probably see once per year.

The 90-day report you can with non commissioned officers or by mail.

Last December most people were probably doing it by mail to Bangkok so would not have had any further contact with Chiang Mai until the next year. Things have changed and now reports/re-entry permit and such have to be done at your local office.

My question is:

Thanks for the advice!

All the best,

You don't need to do the run if you qualify for "one year extension of stay". This you can get based on retirement, marriage to thai national, having a work permit and some other reasons. However you need to qualify for this as there is age, income etc requirements.

The reason why guys were asking so much additional info was for them to give you specific advice. Please read the pinned topics in visa section. It explains the difference between visa and one year extension of stay. But in simple terms with one year non-immigrant visa you need to leave the country every 90 days and with one year extension of stay you just need to report your address in nearest immigration office every 90 days so no need to do border runs.

For your questions:

1. doen not matter, you get new 90 day stamp from both when you have valid non-immigrant visa

2. Refer above, you can get one year extension of stay if you qualify, then no need to leave country

3. In Bangkok immigration office is in Soi Suan Plu (Sathorn Soi 3) off the Sathorn Road.

4. Correct, if you qualify for the one year extension of stay then no need for visas anymore, see above

5. When you get one year extension of stay you need to report in immigration every 90 days (address reporting). Simple thing to do but you do not need to go yourself but your passports must go. Meaning some people use agents to do the running for them.

As you say you are both here on visa i assume the reason is retirement. To get one year extension of stay based on retirement you need to be over 50 years old and have monthly income of 65,000 baht or deposit in thai bank account for 800,000 and it has to be there 2 ot 3 months before you apply (once approved you can use the money for expenses).

There is lot of information in the forum what documents are needed etc. You can always visit immigration office and they will tell you what to do. Also there is option to employ visa agents to do it for you but that costs money and you still need to provide the docs.

However if you qualify it is the way to go. With re-entry permit you can travel as you wish and there is no set date for you to go out every 90 days. naturally costs are way lower than border runs.

Thank you!

We are here looking for work after leaving an expat assignment in a neighboring country. Just happend to know some of the right people in in that neighboring country that handled the visa for us with a Thai consulate. I am 50 and my husband is 49 and we do have the cash in the bank....it just seems easier to do the run every 90 days and go scuba diving while we are at it! :) Or, go back to the original consulate and get the extension of stay....

Thank you again - you are the CLEAREST of all!!!! There is a WHOLE lot of information and a WHOLE lot of different circumstances....I just want to keep it simple and stay legal!

All the best,

Debbie, as a falang lady you don't have to show money in bank/income like a male.

Just go with your husband to to immigrations and apply for 1 year extension of stay.

Bring copy your passport, visa, latest stamp and 1900 baht.

Your husband must go with with you bringing Thai ID, house book, photos inside home and outside with you and him (including house number)

He might be asked to show his bankbook (so he can provide you).

They will interview him (and maybe you) to get to know how long you stayed together etc.

In case of interview, have the same story (we meet bla bla, his fathers name is......but I call him papa, etc etc.)

Should not be a problem, because you are female.

Equal chance male-Female in Thailand?? :):D :D

Ok, after reading the responses from everyone, I hopped on the bike and drove down to the local immigration office and read the posting that says it's a max of 5,000 baht fine, plus 200 baht a day for not reporting. I did some quick math and pretty much swore all the way home.

But once back home I told my wife to call the Immigration Officer who came to our house initially to verify residence, etc, as he had told her that if she ever had a problem or needed anything, to call him. She calls and explains to him that no one had told me about the 90 day reporting and he told her DO NOT go to Immigration and speak to them, as they would hit me with 2,000 baht a day, but to meet him at the office across the street this morning.

When we got there, he was telling the head man that my wife was his sister, and that someone had probably just forgotten to tell me about the 90 day reporting, as it was very busy the day I got my extension, and that I was a good man, good husband and good father, and shouldn't be punished because of a small error.

The guy bought the story, called across the street and told them to change the information in the computers so there wouldn't be any problems later on, and to issue me a new 90 day permit. Me and wife went back across the street, gave them the passport and less than 5 minutes later we had it back with the proper paperwork.

All that's good, but I want to say THANKS to all of you who were quick to point this out to me, otherwise it could have created some major headaches later on.

• 4 weeks later...