Whats Going On With Cat - Cdma

ThaiLife

Hi

I downloaded itune on a new netbook, had to try 6 times, so i have the problem but it seem its only sometimes

Hi, Spot on ... but it seem its only sometimes

thats what's so frustrating and annoying :)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish I had the technical ability and know how to understand more about just what is causing these intermittent issues ,

I thought my '' problem '' internet days were finally in the distant past when I managed to jump from the sinking TOT ship named Dial Up , onto the gleaming new super fast cruiser called CAT , but alas it seem's the honey moon is over , ive paid my sin sod, been given permission to go aboard , sat at the captains desk, fired up her engines in great anticipation , only to find that all's not well with the once lovely shiny super fast cruiser, her anchors not been weighed , the dock side ropes are still tied , and this captain is now in search for some elusive answers or a large bottle of Leo :)

CAT EVDO promised to have my connection repaired by the 20th, which was yesterday. They didn't totally lie because it is now usable. Yesterday I had to disconnect and reconnect four times to get a usable connection. It appears that today is going to be about the same. The speed is pretty pathetic but as long as I have a connection, I'll be somewhat satisfied. Better than nothing and faster than EDGE.

Last Result:

Download Speed: 476 kbps (59.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 114 kbps (14.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 923 ms

Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:45:51 AM

My connection (MC727) has been mostly pretty good for the last week or so.

But I can rarely connect first attempt and there are about 3 total disconnects in a day.

Download speeds are acceptable, but the average up load is now only 100 to 150.

My signal strength has only ever shown 3 out of 5 bars. At the moment it is 2, but still getting EV-DO. Sometimes only I bar and 1xrtt

A few occasions every day, although I'm shown as connected, speed reduces to zero.

If I want to watch a Utube video, I have to use Utube downloader as if I try to watch in my browser (Firefox), the video will often stop halfway through and not restart.

If I am reading a topic on Thaivisa and click on an image (relatively large file) to view fullsize in another window, 10% of times, the image will only partly download, so I have to download the pic with download manager in order to view

All very similar to what i am getting in Non Sung.

just used speedtest.net and got......

ping 107 ms

download 2.74 Mb/s

upload 0.74 Mb/s

maybe the locals here are all too hung-over and not all online yet :)

This news is all very disappointing.. I was hoping CAT EVDO would be my way off CrapStar, looks like I'm better off staying with the devil I know..... :)

Seems like the same thing is happening to CAT EVDO as happened to TOT CrapStar.. my only consolation is that with everyone moving to CAT, there may be a little more bandwidth for me on CrapStar... :D

Totster :D

This news is all very disappointing.. I was hoping CAT EVDO would be my way off CrapStar, looks like I'm better off staying with the devil I know..... :)

Seems like the same thing is happening to CAT EVDO as happened to TOT CrapStar.. my only consolation is that with everyone moving to CAT, there may be a little more bandwidth for me on CrapStar... :D

Totster :D

Hi, When I first signed up for the CAT CDMA service, it was a CAT office since then CAT have opened a new showroom

in a large shopping mall , which displays the CDMA modems , I have noticed that every time I now pass the showroom , the

number of people looking at the equipment seems to be growing on a regular basis. I would say to any one who is thinking

of signing up for the CAT system , wait and see if this current disconnecting problem does get resolved ,

if it continues , then it may be a case of the dreaded over subscription syndrome .

Over the last few hours ive had the freezing / disconnections a few times ,

gg8.jpg

speeds seem to be normal

Yes - this graph sums up our issues perfectly. Speed is normal, but there are interruptions every couple of minutes. The interval between connections seems to vary, and the responses of services also seems to vary. My biggest problem is that each interruption disconnects my VPN, and in order to get it running again, I have to disconnect CDMA, reconnect CDMA, then reconnect VPN which involves entering a 10 digit random number from a security token. Makes it pretty much unusable.

AIS now has promotions for their 3G coverage, looks excellent - 300 BHT for 1.5GB download, 500 for 2.5, 900 for 15, and 1500 for 30GB per month. It's only running in Chiang Mai as of now, but I am really hoping they'll be able to expand this soon. That they now officially promote it gives me some hope - I got the above info from a sales stand in Central Airport Plaza, Chiang Mai.

Recent BKK post article had some news on CAT, both good and bad: Good - CAT now has a board of directors. That can only help things :). Bad: On this board of directors is one guy from the ICT ministry and some others close to political parties. Which makes it pretty likely they'll never get anything done because they can't quite agree on how to slice the pork...

The Large Black area is where the download in progress just froze, and web pages would Not open, also the download manager

could not re connect as normal, to re connect again I had to manually disconnect the connection , and then re connect , it now appears normal, until the next time :)

st6x.jpg

TL

Edited by ThaiLife

Well just had a telephone call from the CAT area service guy , to confirm that I still had a problem :) , Ive explained that my problem is one that is being experienced by a lot of users not only me, I confirmed that my signal if Full, I only live a few Km away from the CAT tower, and this problem is evedent on all 3 of my computers, He is going to '' Check '' the system and call me back ... what more can I say :D

It appears that the explanation from the Loei CAT office is as good as any. He said that it is sometimes good and sometimes bad. TIT, there are no decent answers or excuses. The fact of the matter is that the government has far too much control over the entire system.

"The fact of the matter is that the government has far too much control over the entire system."

Bingo

They should be on other side so they can make sure people get what they pay for.  Not into it up to thier wallets claiming everything is just fine  {for them} 

Well The CAT guy has just called back and asked if there was any improvement in my connections , which there is not .

I did again tell him that this same problem was being experienced by other people not only in my area, he then ask me to give him the names and contact details of the other people who are experiencing the same problem , which came as a bit of a shock :)

I told him I do not have their details, so he has given me his email address ( a gmail.com address ) so I now have his email address, I will send him some screen shots of my connection problems, as for providing him with details of other CAT users who have this same problem, the phrase .... Can of Worms springs to mind.

The story goes On

TL

I told him I do not have their details, so he has given me his email address ( a gmail.com address ) so I now have his email address, I will send him some screen shots of my connection problems, as for providing him with details of other CAT users who have this same problem, the phrase .... Can of Worms springs to mind.

The story goes On

TL

Perhaps TV can provide those email adresses and other personal details, for those that completed the recent ISP "survey"

ROFPMSL 555555555555

I experience this download problem (and other connection problems) since a while. I'm using CMDA CCU 880 in Ko Phangan.

Also last month bill was together with two older bill's which I have paid (through 7-11) with receipt!!

Amateurs that's what I can say about this company! Loks like they good in sale but poor in maintenance!

Well The CAT guy has just called back and asked if there was any improvement in my connections , which there is not .

I did again tell him that this same problem was being experienced by other people not only in my area, he then ask me to give him the names and contact details of the other people who are experiencing the same problem , which came as a bit of a shock :)

The story goes On

Just send him the link to this forum thread. That captures quite a few people who see the same problem.

Could you PM me his email, then I can do it myself and/or detail the problem for him. But really, it should be quite obvious. I think the main issue is reaching the people who have access to the main BKK servers and having them fix it. Alternatively, they know about it, but don't know what's causing it and/or how to fix.

Edited by nikster

QFT - good summary.

So, time to sum up, what is going on:

1) Downloads hang every now and then. Specially after heavy download.

10 minutes ok, then 2 minutes break.

=> All interactive connections drop and have to start over again.

- IRC, telnet, VPN, VoIP Calls, downloads from non-standard browsers (Mobile podcast client etc.)

==> YouTube videos will show to the half way and then stops.

==> Downloads with download manager enabled browsers will typically resume after a while

2) There seems to be two or more routes to the internet. Some times it's possible to ping a remote host, sometimes not.

==> Some load balancing is on the way, but the sides of the balanced services are not equal.

3) DNS does not reply all the time.

==> Many users have switched to OpenDNS and will suffer for other problems due their man-in-the-middle attacks.

These issues have been noted in: Phuket, Chiang Mai, ... ?

Operating systems: Linux, Windows, MacOS, OpenWRT

Anything else?

-Pekka

QFT - good summary.
So, time to sum up, what is going on:

1) Downloads hang every now and then. Specially after heavy download.

10 minutes ok, then 2 minutes break.

=> All interactive connections drop and have to start over again.

- IRC, telnet, VPN, VoIP Calls, downloads from non-standard browsers (Mobile podcast client etc.)

==> YouTube videos will show to the half way and then stops.

==> Downloads with download manager enabled browsers will typically resume after a while

2) There seems to be two or more routes to the internet. Some times it's possible to ping a remote host, sometimes not.

==> Some load balancing is on the way, but the sides of the balanced services are not equal.

3) DNS does not reply all the time.

==> Many users have switched to OpenDNS and will suffer for other problems due their man-in-the-middle attacks.

These issues have been noted in: Phuket, Chiang Mai, ... ?

Operating systems: Linux, Windows, MacOS, OpenWRT

Anything else?

-Pekka

That sums up the situation well. It is a shame, as prior to a month ago I was really happy with my CAT card. Now it is hopeless, downloads are nearly impossible.

I signed up for the CAT CDMA service on the 16th of December 2008, and for the First Three Months I had no

problems, no disconnections a very happy customer , the thing I am now wondering is this ,although I have seen more and more people in the CAT shop obliviously looking at modems, can there really be such a vast surge in the numbers of people who have signed up with CAT, in the last few months to make such a difference to the systems , and cause these current problems, can the CAT system now be so oversubscribed in what seems such a short period of time ( my time scale ) to now be un able to cope. It seems the current problem is a general one affecting many CAT CDMA users, if the problem is not due to over subscription , then what can it be ..? I am not a technical person , so I would like to hear from some one who could if possible in plain terms outline what may be causing this problem, or comment more on this un happy situation

As for the CAT engineers email address , I really don't have the permission to publish it on the internet, I am going to contact the engineer again , just to confirm if its ok to pass the email address on .

My CAT Bills have been late , and just received Two bills together , with an accompanying letter

apologizing for the delay, and to inform me that in future they will be using a different billing

time frame .

TL

Well to day the CAT engineer called me again, to say he had checked over the '' System '' and could find on oblivious problems , he did sound concerned about my connection dropping problem, and has asked me to send him more information and any screen shots Etc , He did ask for screen shots of speed tests, and web pages there were not opening when the connection dropped off.

As I am really not technically knowledgeable enough to be able to let him have the full information that would best show him the current problem, may be other forum members who are experiencing the same problems could now send him your views and technical information , to actually show him, that I am not alone in having this current problem, so if any one would like to forward to him some information and comments , please pm me for the Engineers email address . I would just add ,if you do send him some information about your own personal CAT problems, please include your CAT connection number , and the area you live, and of course please don't use this as an opportunity to vent your frustration about CAT generally, as I do feel that this guy is trying to help.

If you could post here any email you do send to the engineer ( excluding your personal details ) and any resposese you may get , this may show if any thing is progressing , just a thought

Thanks

TL

It appears that any kind of service is non existent. They screwed up my bill too. My wife spent about a hour on the phone trying to get it straightened out. She pays at the bank and fortunately had her receipts. Typical Thai government service all the way around.

I am now in Cha Am and there is no CAT cdma here. I am using AIS EDGE and it is actually pretty good;

Last Result:

Download Speed: 221 kbps (27.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 62 kbps (7.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 590 ms

Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:23:22 PM

I am now in Cha Am and there is no CAT cdma here. I am using AIS EDGE and it is actually pretty good;

Last Result:

Download Speed: 221 kbps (27.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Pretty good for EDGE, crap by any other measure :)

some times I wish the connection would just stop all together , so at least then its plain to see there's a problem,

ive just tried to access the CAT web page and got this ...

CrapCAT2.jpg

Two minuets later every thing is back to normal , and loading Ok , :)

TL