Whats Going On With Cat - Cdma

ThaiLife

Starting to get a lot of disconnections, especially around 8 or 9PM. When checking CAT status, the numbers on bytes received are just frozen, it will start up again after a while. Sometimes a while drags out, and I disconnect, and re- connect till it starts sending again.

No problems this end , MC727 connected to an external roof antenna, about 6km from the CAT Tower, used on both PC and Mac , running all day.

Downloading ok, no disconnections or freezing .

Picture3-9.png

Picture5-4.png

TL

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its strange that different people in different areas may be getting different results, my MC727 is used on an Apple iMac , ASUS N10J netbook, and an ASER E500 desk top PC, all have the same CAT CDMA problem, I am showing a full signal and the MC727 is connected to an external roof antenna, and the CAT tower is about 5KM away , in flat country side.

S#it where's your nearest burger king!

Its strange that different people in different areas may be getting different results, my MC727 is used on an Apple iMac , ASUS N10J netbook, and an ASER E500 desk top PC, all have the same CAT CDMA problem, I am showing a full signal and the MC727 is connected to an external roof antenna, and the CAT tower is about 5KM away , in flat country side.

S#it where's your nearest burger king!

The shot of my house is a bit miss leading , its actually a very green area , and its a good job I don't get a Burger King craving too often as its

about 1-1/2 hours away :)

Picture1-4.jpg

Yes my conection is having problems here too , slow connect , or no connection at all .. Now What :)

I am using my phone and AIS EDGE now. If I had not thrown away 10,000 baht on the CAT modem, I'd tell them to stick it.

Any one else currently having a problem ...?

No problem right this second. It's not been as good the last couple of days, but still having Ipstar fresh in my mind, it's been acceptable. We had one hel_l of a storm a few nights back and I think that my antenna may have shifted slightly in the high winds.

This morning at 9 or 10 ish modem showed as connected, but I had no internet. I disconnected and reconnected, but could load nothing.

It was dead for about 15 minutes and I went out, so I don't know how long it lasted. Now is normal, or as normal as it has been. Bangkok test 800 down 300 up. London, better than usual download at 730 , but upload is off a bit at 110.

Maybe they just had a temporary problem this morning? Still, not as frustrating as Ipstar.

Up here in Phayao no problems, just downloaded Vista service pack with an average of 130Kbs. I had some problems about 6 weeks ago, this was due to maintenance work they said. This lasted for about 4 days and then the connection I have to admit was a little faster except fot the peak hours.

CAT CDMA has been working perfectly for me for the last few weeks. This is in Chiang Mai. I now use it every day.

Just used it overnight for 12 hours, downloading about 5GB worth of media. No problems. It gets into the 100KB/s easily.

I'm still getting some problems with disconnects and often taking 3 or 4 attempts to reconnect.

I am using the MC 727 and I have software informer on my computer. It informs me that there are updates available for the driver, but if I go to the Novatel website, the driver download is not for the 727, it's for something else. Has anybody else been able to update their drivers, if so please let me know how. Otherwise I will email the people at Novatel.

I'm still getting some problems with disconnects and often taking 3 or 4 attempts to reconnect.

I am using the MC 727 and I have software informer on my computer. It informs me that there are updates available for the driver, but if I go to the Novatel website, the driver download is not for the 727, it's for something else. Has anybody else been able to update their drivers, if so please let me know how. Otherwise I will email the people at Novatel.

Hi, yes it seem's to be up and down at the moment , but to day for me all ok, I am at the moment running the MC727 on the

iMac which uses its own settings , so not sure about the driver up date , ive looked at other web sites that re brand the

MC727 , and cannot see any driver up dates . may be ask the question at the Novatel Wireless Developer Forum

http://www.novatelwireless.com/index.php?o...amp;func=search

http://www.novatelwireless.com/

TL :)

When it works, it works pretty well. When it dies, it is dead. It is a very irritating situation. I have found no certain times or conditions when the dead times occur.

At this moment on a sunday evening, I've run a few speedtests and not above 500 download even to Bangkok.

Yet Thaivisa pages are loading at blistering speeds - I've never known them load so quick.

Those of you that have gmail will know that the email notifications of replies to topics are combined in 1 email compilation. I had 8 notifications and they all loaded as fast as I could click on them.

Go figure!

I've been getting a few more disconnects again, yesterday had a period it disconnected every 4 or 5 minutes.

Today I get the bill, due date yesterday! I don't like having a lot of bills to pay every month, so usually like to pay 3 months up front. cannot do that with CAT, but to send BILL out so late is ridiculous.

I've been getting a few more disconnects again, yesterday had a period it disconnected every 4 or 5 minutes.

Today I get the bill, due date yesterday! I don't like having a lot of bills to pay every month, so usually like to pay 3 months up front. cannot do that with CAT, but to send BILL out so late is ridiculous.

To day its slowed down a few times but no disconnections , as with most internet connections here we have to suffer the roller coaster syndrome , like every one else it just get frustrating to be on the CAT ride . I wish I had an answer . :D

And as for the bill , I totally agree its ridiculous :)

I am on CAT CDMA as well, and it's been terrible the last days. They definitively have bandwidth issues and routing problems to the international backend.

No, no issues with Thaivisa servers.

I was up all night trying chatting to our hosting engineer in Singapore, trying to figure out whats going on, and they confirm to me that it's nearly 20% packet loss on traffic to/from Thailand. So the problem is at the CAT Gateway combined with overselling the bandwidth.

who are these hosting engineers in singapore? are they the ones who bought over thaksin's satellite services and got the thai military all knotted up in protests on grounds of thaksin selling off the national military secrets of thailand? is someone tampering with someone 's communication lines via space and we internet users end up paying for all this crap?

Using the EC226 since last week and am, so far, very impressed with speeds. Am located in Patong where I used it so far. ThaiVisa speed test gives me 1200 to 1700 download and around 450 upload. Better than my wired TOT connection...

Was a bit anxious after reading this conversation but happy I bought it.

Here its been disconnecting again every night. Just can't handle the traffic I suppose. Won't upgrade, it would be wasting money. Waiting for something better to come along.

Sorry, upgrade from what to what?

Here its been disconnecting again every night. Just can't handle the traffic I suppose. Won't upgrade, it would be wasting money. Waiting for something better to come along.

I'm still using CAT CDMA wireless phone. I get about 120kbts, but it slows or gets disconnected on Saturdays and Sundays, also in the evenings. Too much traffic I suppose. I have been thinking of upgrading to another wireless thing they got ( forgot the name), where you are suppose to get 1 megabite, this also uses a directional antennae. If like all else here, probably lucky to get half that speed. My son really wants me to do this, he wants streaming videos, online games, etc. I want him to have that stuff, so that he is forced to use the PC and read, figure out how to solve the problems which he will encounter playing around with the stuff. But I am worried that if I shell out the money ( about 10,000 Baht) it will not be able to provide anything of what he wants, and the money spent will be wasted. The wireless phone I'm using now has never provided the speed which they claim, and their problems and excuses are endless. When I try to communicate with the CAT people ( one man speaks English quite well) its just a run around with a smile. Wish I had a solution to help out my son, and myself. Live about 8-10 kilo from the CAT tower as the crow flies.

I'm still using CAT CDMA wireless phone. I get about 120kbts, but it slows or gets disconnected on Saturdays and Sundays, also in the evenings. Too much traffic I suppose. I have been thinking of upgrading to another wireless thing they got ( forgot the name), where you are suppose to get 1 megabite, this also uses a directional antennae. If like all else here, probably lucky to get half that speed. My son really wants me to do this, he wants streaming videos, online games, etc. I want him to have that stuff, so that he is forced to use the PC and read, figure out how to solve the problems which he will encounter playing around with the stuff. But I am worried that if I shell out the money ( about 10,000 Baht) it will not be able to provide anything of what he wants, and the money spent will be wasted. The wireless phone I'm using now has never provided the speed which they claim, and their problems and excuses are endless. When I try to communicate with the CAT people ( one man speaks English quite well) its just a run around with a smile. Wish I had a solution to help out my son, and myself. Live about 8-10 kilo from the CAT tower as the crow flies.

Is that some sort of Edge connection as opposed to EV-DO Rev A ? Sounds like your connection isn't much better than the performance I was getting from Ipstar.

The performance from CAT CDMA is not going to win any awards, but I only had Ipstar to compare it to, CAT is 10 times better. It's not as good now as when I first got it, but at least I do consistantly get 500Kb download. Often get better DL speeds from USA than Bangkok - go figure. Upload is about 300 to Bangkok, but 100 t0 150 international. Skype is ok to other users in Thailand (without video), but really no good internationally.

Most of the time, when it's working it is adequate for me, but it could be and has been better.

Not been getting as many disconnections lately, but the occasional slowdown that doesn't last too long usually.

Sometimes CAT allow you to pay for the modem and take it home to try it out with full refund if you bring it back the same day. If you're 8 or 10 Km from the tower, you may need an antenna though.

My MC727 modem was about 8,000 Baht, but external antenna and everything made it a total of 13,000.

^That sounds about like about the same thing that the CAT guy was telling me about. It seems you can't get streaming video from your comment about Skype video.I can't see paying out the money to get a page to load a few seconds faster. Without streaming video or online games I don't feel its worth it. Whats EC226?