Two Foreigners and One Thai National Arrested For Bt10m Ebanking Scam

george

2 Russians arrested for allegedly stealing info via e-bankin

BANGKOK: -- Police Tuesday arrested one Thai and two Western men for allegedly stealing information via the e-banking system and pilfering money from a Krung Thai Bank branch in Chon Buri province.

Though Russian national Anton Soldatenkov and Ukraine's Vnuchenko Oleksandr denied any wrongdoing, Prakiat Bunmoh admitted to the crimes and implicated both of them. Police are expanding their investigation to determine whether they had stolen money from five clients of KTB and Siam Commercial Bank totalling around Bt10 million.

Acting on a complaint filed by the SCB that it had lost Bt1.5 million possibly to the three men, Crime Suppression Division detectives decided to monitor the three in a series of stakeouts. The suspects were positively identified through security-camera footage last week when Prakiat went to open an account at the Bang Lamung district branch of KTB.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-16

Well, what crime did they actually commit?

- hacked into the banks server?

- used fake ATM cards?

- stealing cash?

- money laundry?

The article says all and nothing about!

They tell about e-banking. I suppose it is about money transfers from another's account via Internet banking.

It appears the perpetrators stole money from an on line banking network.

Suppose it saves all the inconvenience of walking into the bank with sawn off shotguns and shouting, stick em up, hand over the cash.

I wager that if this money went missing from personal accounts, the bank would deny everything and insist that their security is infallible.

No way would I use ATM cards or on line banking in Thailand. This case proves how vulnerable to fraud and thief, the system is.

Stealing information through the E-banking system??? Siphoning of money by using stolen passwords? A very vague story. Someone lost money POSSIBLY to the two men? I do not really get it. The story is weird and lacks any information that would give a clue about what really happened. But if they did something that was not too good, they probably needed Thai partners and everyone should realize that half this country informs on the other one.

- used fake ATM cards?

- stealing cash?

- money laundry?

[/quote

No dought the thai will enlighten the police exactly how the crime was done.

- used fake ATM cards?

- stealing cash?

- money laundry?

"stealing information via the e-banking system" :)

That means stolen bank ID's and pin numbers via computers. :D

You know e-Bank 'electronic bank" online like Paypal or Siam Commercial online account service :D

No way would I use ATM cards or on line banking in Thailand. This case proves how vulnerable to fraud and thief, the system is.

So how do you get your money???

I just visit any branch of my bank once every couple of weeks and withdraw it.

My bank has a branch in most of the towns and all the supermarkets, open up to 8.30pm.

I agree with you.

What the newspaper should have done is also taken this opportunity to teach people how to better protect their bank account, including the employees of the bank.

Read this article for an amazing bit of social engineering that a contracted security company used to gain access to a financial institution.

URL: http://www.darkreading.com/security/perime...cleID=208803634

- used fake ATM cards?

- stealing cash?

- money laundry?

- used fake ATM cards?

- stealing cash?

- money laundry?

Typical half-a**ed reporting by Thailand's English language press. You never know the full story because the reporters either don't have the brains or are two afraid to ask questions.

There is never an attempt to answer the six basic questions of any news report:

Who, Where, Why, How, When and What.

If Thai reporters could at least try to figure out these simple basics in a news story, we'd all be much more informed about this humid pit we live in.

yadiyadiyadidaa...it took a while to start phishing over here...Isn't it common practice in Europe??

And banks have to send you notification letters of how to prevent and be aware of hacking, phishing and all those cyber-criminal activities. (In germany they do at least!)

Who: 2 russians and a thai

Where: Chonburi & Bang Lamung and probably other places too..

Why: to get rich quick (duh)

How: Through wiring money from stolen or hacked account transferring it to other accounts or withdrawing

When: all this time until they got busted

What: ...what? MONEY

and yes, the basic questions are being asked and bangkok post as well as the thai newspaper cover them...if you want real information. I suggest you start learning the national language and then u can understand everything and dont need to resort to blaming others. Reading news via Thai visa may be ok but its not excellent....everything needs to be brief and done quickly, no wonder why half the information goes wasted.

the same thing happened to the president of France , sarkozy, some months ago , somebody transfered money from his account using the e-banking . the person who did it was arrested later in tunisia as he fled from france .

thank goodness you told us about that :)

I just visit any branch of my bank once every couple of weeks and withdraw it.

My bank has a branch in most of the towns and all the supermarkets, open up to 8.30pm.

Good for you then! But you forgot that your teller maybe cheat you as well. I trust computers more than tellers..

- used fake ATM cards?

- stealing cash?

- money laundry?

it says it quite clearly actually:

BANGKOK: -- Police Tuesday arrested one Thai and two Western men for allegedly stealing information via the e-banking system and pilfering money from a Krung Thai Bank branch in Chon Buri province.

They used the online banking system to do this, and it appears also hacked the IT system of a Krung Thai Bank branch in Chon Buri province directly. Nice work actually, poor planning and execution though.

2 Russians arrested for allegedly stealing info via e-bankin

Though Russian national Anton Soldatenkov and Ukraine's Vnuchenko Oleksandr denied any wrongdoing, Prakiat Bunmoh admitted to the crimes and implicated both of them. Police are expanding their investigation to determine whether they had stolen money from five clients of KTB and Siam Commercial Bank totalling around Bt10 million.

Acting on a complaint filed by the SCB that it had lost Bt1.5 million possibly to the three men, Crime Suppression Division detectives decided to monitor the three in a series of stakeouts. The suspects were positively identified through security-camera footage last week when Prakiat went to open an account at the Bang Lamung district branch of KTB.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-16

Russian :D Ukraineian :) Thai :D  Hello is anyone home...knock, Knock...Those ATM"S have camera's......? OOPS!  what will they think of next......