English Television In Thailand

voyager36

Hello. This is my first post, so be gentle!

My wife & I have been researching possible locations to relocate to from not so warm & sunny Ireland. Thailand featured in a recent television show here and got us thinking. The problem is my wife is addicted to her English "soaps" and has made it a condition of moving that she will be able to continue to receive them.

Is there any way of receiving the English stations BBC and ITV in Thaliand? If so, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice as well as an idea of what kind of costs are involved.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

hello fellow coro street fan :D

yeah ya got a problem.....

But easily solved...... just leave her at home :o

I am fortunate that I am still good friends with my first wife and she sends me over tapes of the TV shows that I like.

Coro is 8 months behind in NZ and the current story line is about Fred being stiched up a Thai woman so I'm looking forward to seeing that.....

Nip & Tuck is another good show that she tapes for me.

The best thing to do is get a friend of your wifes to record the Tv programs.....

buy them a dvd recorder if you have to..... much cheaper to post a disc than a vhs tape

hello fellow coro street fan  :D

yeah ya got a problem.....

But easily solved......  just leave her at home  :D

I am fortunate that I am still good friends with my first wife and she sends me over tapes of the TV shows that I like.

Coro is 8 months behind in NZ and the current story line is about Fred being stiched up a Thai woman so I'm looking forward to seeing that.....

Nip & Tuck is another good show that she tapes for me.

The best thing to do is get a friend of your wifes to record the Tv programs.....

buy them a dvd recorder if you have to..... much cheaper to post a disc than a vhs tape

It's difficult to not sound like a c*** but one has to reply to a post like yours with a resounding...."You sad,sad, bast*rd."

Having someone send you recordings of Coronation Street!!

Have you no shame?? :o

My mate used to send Aussie rules tapes to a pal in Ireland and I thought that were queer but soaps overseas??????

I refuse to allow you to think it's normal behavior!!

See a shrink immediately!

UBC which is our local cable TV Provider now has a new channel that it offers under their platinum package 'BBC prime'

Really? I'll have to check that out, I do like the ol' Beeb programmes, you get some of the doc's on Discovery sometimes.

With regards to our OP though, perhaps if you persuaded your wife to learn Thai she could indulge in the numerous soaps they offer here, if she's a fan of the English ones then Thai soaps will blow her away! :o

My wife & I have been researching possible locations to relocate to from not so warm & sunny Ireland. Thailand featured in a recent television show here and got us thinking. The problem is my wife is addicted to her English "soaps" and has made it a condition of moving that she will be able to continue to receive them.

Is there any way of receiving the English stations BBC and ITV in Thaliand? If so, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice as well as an idea of what kind of costs are involved.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Good to know that the intellectual quality of farang immigrants to Thailand is being maintained!!But I can't believe this is a serious post.If it is, one doesn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Not impressed at all with BBC prime, Its all repeated throughout he day.

As i've said before why don't the powers that be realise that we have got the brain capacity to watch a different shows all day and night?

And another thing whilst i'm having a whinge- Pride & bloody predudice= LAST NIGHT ALL BLOODY NIGHT. :o

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Coronation Street is big there.

Many thanks to those who took the trouble to make a worthwhile contribution. It has been interesting reading the constructive feedback and assuring to see there are the usual few, even in far away Thailand, who have nothing better to do with their time than be smart and critical of other's preferences and interests.

We are actively researching the foreign move options with a view to moving soon.

Regards

Graham

hehe

my lady and her friends here in sydney would be lost without their ration of videos of thai news,soaps etc.

Theres several shops in chinatown here that do a raoring trade.

Maybe thats a business for someone in thailand...with a friend in UK...doing videos of all the english shows and renting them.

Many thanks to those who took the trouble to make a worthwhile contribution.  It has been interesting reading the constructive feedback and assuring to see there are the usual few, even in far away Thailand, who have nothing better to do with their time than be smart and critical of other's preferences and interests. 

We are actively researching the foreign move options with a view to moving soon.

Regards

Graham

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Good to know that the intellectual quality of farang immigrants to Thailand is being maintained!!But I can't believe this is a serious post.If it is, one doesn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Well, for Boris, that was gentle. He didn't mention the proletariat underclass once. :o

Seriously Graham,

If seeing soaps is of such paramount importance to either of you, why move at all. It certainly does not matter where you are if all you do is long to experience that substitute for real life found through a glass windowed box.

You should choose a country that offers soaps and a free and comprehensive health service. Because most certainly you will need these services very soon with your professed life style.

I have lived about 3 years in the last 6 years in LOS, and have never seen one second of TV. There is too much to see, too much to do, too many people to meet to even have time to contemplate the false dreams of actors and actresses in cheap dramas.

IMHO you do not deserve Thailand, and most certainly Thailand does not deserve you.

Seriously Graham,

If seeing soaps is of such paramount importance to either of you, why move at all. It certainly does not matter where you are if all you do is long to experience that substitute for real life found through a glass windowed box.

You should choose a country that offers soaps and a free and comprehensive health service. Because most certainly you will need these services very soon with your professed life style.

I have lived about 3 years in the last 6 years in LOS, and have never seen one second of TV. There is too much to see, too much to do, too many people to meet to even have time to contemplate the false dreams of actors and actresses in cheap dramas.

IMHO you do not deserve Thailand, and most certainly Thailand does not deserve you.

Is your wife still on TV in the UK??

Try Turkey. They have Eastenders and also Coronation Street, I believe. Cost of living is fairly cheap and long-term visas are easy to get. Can be a bit chilly in winter, though.

Edited by Rumpole

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Well, for Boris, that was gentle. He didn't mention the proletariat underclass once. :o

I think we can take that as a given, can't we?

Many thanks to those who took the trouble to make a worthwhile contribution.  It has been interesting reading the constructive feedback and assuring to see there are the usual few, even in far away Thailand, who have nothing better to do with their time than be smart and critical of other's preferences and interests. 

Regards

Graham

The negative feedback comes because it is frankly such a moronic preoccupation when you are considering relocating to a country which has so much genuine richness to offer.Don't let me put you off.There are plenty of people here just like you.