Battered Tourism Sector Seeks Urgent Government Help

george

I live in Nonthaburi in a non tourist area, a few weeks ago I visited What Prha Keaw, it was like I was visiting a different country, its was a complete rip off, very aggressive people like to push me to rent a boat, a tuk tuk driver asked 80 baht to take us from the pier to the temple.(distance about 100 m) and more of such things. The same things I saw in all other popular tourist places or places with a large foreigner population.

This is not the Thailand I know. And I understand completely why tourist get fed up whit this kind of attitude. You will expect this kind of behaviour in the Souks of Northern Africa but not in a country like Thailand.

BTW when I arrived last April at Swampy it took me about 10 minutes from the moment I left the plane to meet my family in the lobby, also the first and business class in the plane was completely empty. I thinks this shows enough.

Furthermore Thailand lost the battle with countries like Turkey, Egypt and other Dominican republics who attract tourist with all inclusive packages at unbelievable low prices, not yet to mention Vietnam.

Lets call a spade a spade tourism in Thailand is in a decline and their is no hope for recovery. Because too long the Thai tourist industry thought they just sit on their ar..s and the money tree will bare fruits without nursing.

This decline has nothing to do with political instability or swine flue, they are just cheap excuses to avoid the own responsibility. And its very easy for the tourist industry to blame the government, they better should take some introspective to their own failures and misconducts.

Very well said, nothing to add...

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Som Num "Kin" Nah....................

To much Crime. Violence and hatred to the falang.

And it wont get any better, the will self destruct without doubt. theres no way back from the money grabbing, corrupt ways that so many officials adopt.

Just money money.

And they critisised Thaksin................. Hmmmmmmm there all at it blatantly at it. At least he could lead the country while he lined his pockets. now the countrys outta the window and its every man for hisself

Do you think it is any different in the US? Same thing caused all the problems here---- IT'S CALLED GREEED!

That's interesting. Swine flu? I don't believe it.

My friends and co-workers (I live in Korea) were considering vacation destinations. Thailand was, of course, on the list. Most are not going due to the history of political unrest, horror stories of tourists unable to leave airports in time, increased prices, and rumors of more scamming going on. Dozens of Koreans were trapped in Thai airports this past year, and that was big news here.

Two of our teachers returned from there recently after being scammed by taxi drivers and having police basically accuse them of trying to cheat the taxi driver! The story (true or not?) about the barmat woman was discussed as well, and how the police can't be trusted.

Guess where we decided to go? Back to visit family in America, instead. Might as well. Tickets are too cheap to pass up.

There are over 60 confirmed cases of swine flu in my home town -- so NO, swine flu isn't why we decided against Thailand this year.

hey hey hey, Thailand is not as bad as you can imagine, just use your common sense and have fun !

"It is the responsibility of all Thais to take as much money as possible from Farangs"

Thaksin (Thais Love Thais Party) - Quoted in BKK Post :)

where and when exactly?

I never read something like that ... seems to belong to the urban myths here. :D

I live in Nonthaburi in a non tourist area, a few weeks ago I visited What Prha Keaw, it was like I was visiting a different country, its was a complete rip off, very aggressive people like to push me to rent a boat, a tuk tuk driver asked 80 baht to take us from the pier to the temple.(distance about 100 m) and more of such things. The same things I saw in all other popular tourist places or places with a large foreigner population.

This is not the Thailand I know. And I understand completely why tourist get fed up whit this kind of attitude. You will expect this kind of behaviour in the Souks of Northern Africa but not in a country like Thailand.

BTW when I arrived last April at Swampy it took me about 10 minutes from the moment I left the plane to meet my family in the lobby, also the first and business class in the plane was completely empty. I thinks this shows enough.

Furthermore Thailand lost the battle with countries like Turkey, Egypt and other Dominican republics who attract tourist with all inclusive packages at unbelievable low prices, not yet to mention Vietnam.

Lets call a spade a spade tourism in Thailand is in a decline and their is no hope for recovery. Because too long the Thai tourist industry thought they just sit on their ar..s and the money tree will bare fruits without nursing.

This decline has nothing to do with political instability or swine flue, they are just cheap excuses to avoid the own responsibility. And its very easy for the tourist industry to blame the government, they better should take some introspective to their own failures and misconducts.

Very well said, nothing to add...

yes , I fully agree, the season of easy money from the hated farangs is over

There was a Phuket hotel "1800 Baht per day price for Thais and Expats". On their webpage the regular prices were around 4500 Baht per night.

Perhaps Thai International could help as well, by quoting real fares on their web site,

rather than full IATA rates??

Hmmm. So tourists are cess pit?? No wonder LOS is making it more difficult for tourists in LOS. Most other countries would not want these "cess pit" contributers (tourists) in their country either. I wonder how the three different percents of incoming tourist dollars from the three sub-categories of tourists ( "tourists", "drunks", and "sex tourists") breaks down. What percents of the Thai economy is generated by these three categories? Many expat "residents" fail to recognize that they are just long-term tourists... and nothing more. Thus, they must be "cess pit" also. You will never be accepted as a Thai would. You will always be viewed as an outsider by the majority of Thais.

Harley Clarkey...Glad to find out the you are "above" the tourists, etc.

"You handsom, high class, and Hi So Harley!" "You very important man Harley."

WELCOME TO CAMBODIA , MATES !

It appears that the figures are proving that you can't keep changing rules against the things that attract tourists. Lets have a look at some examples.

Bars are closed at 12 midnight instead of virtual open slather.

Bars are closed every time there is an election for anything.

Sales of liquor are restricted in Supermarkets and even shops at Bus stations for some unknown reason.

There is local prices and Farang prices (the mentality is that farangs have money???...I wonder if farang prices apply to all the rich Thais that drive around in Mercedes and BMW's etc??)...I don't think so.

Visa /extensions of stay rules are gradually being restrictive....compare Thai rules to Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore etc. where 3 month on arrival is the norm....they want people to stay in their countries and spend their holiday cash!!

The political unrest may have had a slight disruptive effect on some tourists but a lot of other countries have had similar.

It appears the Thai attitude is they don't like foreigners....they won't allow foreign land ownership..not much incentive for people to come and live here in Thailand!!

Apart from the global economic downturn....greed is an ever present factor......I could list endless examples of how things now cost 50% more than only 18 months ago, and thats not even taking into account the strong baht.....greed, greed and more greed from the hotels, taxi drivers right down to the bar girls......greed has killed Thailand....so so many people are now going to Cambodia......

They will have to treat the tourists better. We used to go to Thailand almost every years, but now seeing how they treat the tourists who financed their economy, we have gone somewhere else for vacation. The old government is so much in gear. The new government is turning the country into a dump. Wake up Thailand. There are lots of beautiful places foreigners can go, live and spend money!

not to be funny but they must have seen this coming? and i'd imagine that swine 'flu has sod all to do with it.
I entirely agree, its like their vision is limited to the next meal,. :)

having lived in LOS for more than a year now i'm still struggling to get used to the short-termist thinking of the government.

Nothing new there, "the 1000bt in one hand and 10,000bt in the other" story, was the first thing I learnt about Thai logic & thinking nearly 10 years ago. :D

Short term mentality is in the Thai genes. Not an overt criticism, just a fact.

That is why there is no Thai chess champions, they can't think a few steps ahead.

I know some people who went to a neighbour country and got the only 14 day Visa (but wanted to stay longer).

Thailand is doing everything to get rid of the tourists and than they wonder why there are no tourists :)

Maybe there will be a time the government will understand that tourists won't come if it is better somewhere else.

I agree Thailand is doing their level best to get rid of the long stay falang....but exactly why are they doing it ?? I too spend buckets of money to support my wife and 3 children here. Is it racism plain and simple ??

there are far too many people in this thread mixing up 'tourism' with 'residency'. what attracts tourists to thailand is not the same thing as what brings residents and retirees in. it's a global perception issue that tourists have rather than the minutiae of living here day to day and all the travails that go with that. top level = political instability, risk of riots, airport closures and that's about it. every tourist destination in the world has its scare stories of police corruption, muggings, drownings, the odd disease outbreak and what have you. they're incidental to the average tourist, they just believe what the foreign office tells them. thailand needs to improve its public message about this being a safe and stable country to come to which is beautiful and full of lovely people. everything after that is very secondary.

Edited by StevieH

Theres much more to add than that but nobody want lose face... right? I was thinking about visa policies and the attitude towards foreigners in general...

Now they reap what they sow and cry loud!

i agree 100% with you on this one .... my parents were supposed to come here in june , but instead decided to go to St Marteen as according to my mother at least over there they don't get ripped off, don't need visa , and are treated like normal people and not walking ATM's, my dad of course tried tro change the plans but evidence was there: in St Marteen they will have a real vacation , and not constantly be fighting not to get cheated on , not to mention that to come to Thailand they needed 80 000 miles per person for the ticket , when for st marteen it was only 60 000 miles .....

they may come here again , eventually when Thai Airways will decide to make fares at NORMAL prices .....

The Thai authorities need to understand that the global tourism industry really is global, and that clients will take their business elsewhere when a destination gets a bad reputation - particularly if the bad reputation involves xenophobic attitudes towards foreigners, The current undemocratically selected government needs to show it is serious about reform by weeding out all the bad apples who like to blame the farang presence for everything wrong in the country instead of looking at themselves in the mirror. Swine flu? Time for some accountability - though real accountability would mean free and fair elections! :)

thailand needs to improve its public message about this being a safe and stable country to come to which is beautiful and full of lovely people. everything after that is very secondary.

The problem about putting a positive spin on things is that when people realise it is just BS, and not true, things just get worse. Especially in todays age of near instant world wide communication. People everywhere in the world are fed up with being fed BS.

thailand needs to improve its public message about this being a safe and stable country to come to which is beautiful and full of lovely people. everything after that is very secondary.

The problem about putting a positive spin on things is that when people realise it is just BS, and not true, things just get worse. Especially in todays age of near instant world wide communication. People everywhere in the world are fed up with being fed BS.

i agree in the main but it's kind of irrelevant when your country's economy is going to shit. you firefight and just get people in here, then work at improving the infrastructure and all the other areas that need work. thailand's lost a shitload of people this year to greece, the US, turkey and plenty of other tourist destinations and it was avaoidable with a little bit of foresight.

there are far too many people in this thread mixing up 'tourism' with 'residency'. what attracts tourists to thailand is not the same thing as what brings tourists in. it's a global perception issue that tourists have rather than the minutiae of living here day to day and all the travails that go with that. top level = political instability, risk of riots, airport closures and that's about it. every tourist destination in the world has its scare stories of police corruption, muggings, drownings, the odd disease outbreak and what have you. they're incidental to the average tourist, they just believe what the foreign office tells them. thailand needs to improve its public message about this being a safe and stable country to come to which is beautiful and full of lovely people. everything after that is very secondary.

One of the best posts so far.

Seems the disgruntled residents have taken this thread as an opportunity to pile-in with their vitriol and narrow minded opinions.

I have lived here for 6 yrs, have a small business employing 5 staff, and have never been happier.

Wherever you live there will be something to moan about. I for one prefer to live here and deal with life's day-to-day problems which are more easily dealt with than in my home country.

But hey! Opinions are like a$$holes....we've all got them, and some of them stink.

Just my opinion.

. However others have argued that the Japanese effectively colonized it during WWII, the only thing that ended that was the outcome of the war, no kudos to the Thais.

Thailand was not colonized by Japan. Thailand was an ally of Japan. Thailand declared war on US and the UK in Jan 1942 and Thailand seems to be still at war with their tourists.

I think the main reason is that the most-bang-for the-buck factor is not in Thailand's favor the same way as it was before.

My cousin planned to go to Hua Hin for two weeks with his wife and two kids this july. After a price comparison the north island of Maldives turned out to be just slightly more expensive. Naturally they decided to opt Maldives.

Amid all the many problems this country faces now it has also added an additional requrement to work visas. Previous work visas required a 2 minute visit with a doctor and if you looked healthy this was enough. Now a check for syphillis is requied. Not that it may not be a bad idea, but there seems to be a general unfriendly attitude to foreign workers with montains of paperwork even if like me, you are married to a Thai. Why make things even more difficult to work in a school in Thailand that needs English speakers to improve the communication skills of its citizens so it can be a more tourist friendly country? Is there a fear a farand will give a coworker VD?

Yes because don't farangs just come to thailand for the bargirls and Pattaya life .

I think the main reason is that the most-bang-for the-buck factor is not in Thailand's favor the same way as it was before.

My cousin planned to go to Hua Hin for two weeks with his wife and two kids this july. After a price comparison the north island of Maldives turned out to be just slightly more expensive. Naturally they decided to opt Maldives.

simple economics is a massive factor of course, but that's usually tempered by other factors which are based on the way the country markets itself. thailand has done next to nothing since the bangkok palaver to improve its image on a worldwide scale. what should have been reported and perceived as a tiny, isolated incident was allowed to become the poster advert for the whole country, and it was a big mistake. instead of the land of smiles it's now the land of petrol bombs and airport blockades.

Really?

Over and above all the so-called 'reasons' given up to now, this is a very telling (and possibly damning) story.

The Maldives is the same price as Hua Hin!

Hunker down, Thailand's tourism IS in trouble if this is the case.

I lived in Spain a few years back and Residential tourism was big business. It increased the standards for poor Spaniards no end. Education, health, wealth and prosperity.

Here in Thailand the ogliachy who run the country dont care. As long as they have what they want thats ok. You can complain as much as you want but nothing much is going to change this side of the next blue moon so dont waste your energy

I have lived in the far north since last autumn and its piss poor. Lots of farmers cannot afford to plant crops, its a vicious circle. No money to sow, no money to to reap. Not many big or fancy houses around here, can rent single 2 story for 500baht a month upwards. yes 500baht. Most of the money in the area comes from the past from drugs or guns or whatever.

It was an eyeopener for my partner. When i said to her how can the poor even afford to eat she said 'well they can eat vegetables'. she has a better understanding now. At least she didnt say 'eat cake'

Most of us cannot go home as where we came from is no longer home , so we have to grin a bear it and hope it doesnt get worse to complete legalities to remain here.

At the end of the day i stay here because as best as i can make it, my life is here. For me the uk will offer what, no visa problems but the other side of the balance is maybe i would be struggling along in an olp persons home.

There is always a balance to strike

there are far too many people in this thread mixing up 'tourism' with 'residency'. what attracts tourists to thailand is not the same thing as what brings tourists in. it's a global perception issue that tourists have rather than the minutiae of living here day to day and all the travails that go with that. top level = political instability, risk of riots, airport closures and that's about it. every tourist destination in the world has its scare stories of police corruption, muggings, drownings, the odd disease outbreak and what have you. they're incidental to the average tourist, they just believe what the foreign office tells them. thailand needs to improve its public message about this being a safe and stable country to come to which is beautiful and full of lovely people. everything after that is very secondary.

i do not agree, 60% of people who plan a vacation nowadays are browsing the web forums about the destination they want to go .... usually lonely planet forums but there are plenty out there .... just do a google search as if you were planning a vacation in thailand and read the forums , what will you see? HORROR STORIES about the bad attitude of thais towards torists starting with the first impression they get of the socalled "land of smiles" being an immigration officers who doesn't smile , doesn't say welcome, hello or goodbye .... then the horrendous queues at the airport , followed by the scammers for the taxis that are REALLY agressive following you all the way to the legitimate taxi queue .... then the taxi not bringing you to the right hotel hoping for a kickback if you accept his "recomended" hotel ( this is mostly true in phuket ) .... then all the above mentioned problem on top of awfully expensive hotels that still under construction, with the garbage in front of your room's door and not even a shelve to put your clothes in ( true story happened to my parents in a 4000 baht per night hotel in krabi 2 years ago ) .... all in all my parent whose both children live in thailand and used to come spend an average of 3 months a year spending at least a million baht a month, are no going more to the carribean and will come to thailand only in case of absolute necessity , they are absolutely fed up by the Thais bad attitude towards foreigners .... and each time their friends ask them about going to thailand they just disuade them the best they can with all the horror stories they have been through ....

i guess they are not the only ones to strongly advise people not to bother with thailand judging by the reports you can read on most travel boards

i do not agree, 60% of people who plan a vacation nowadays are browsing the web forums about the destination they want to go .... usually lonely planet forums but there are plenty out there .... just do a google search as if you were planning a vacation in thailand and read the forums , what will you see? HORROR STORIES about the bad attitude of thais towards torists starting with the first impression they get of the socalled "land of smiles" being an immigration officers who doesn't smile , doesn't say welcome, hello or goodbye .... then the horrendous queues at the airport , followed by the scammers for the taxis that are REALLY agressive following you all the way to the legitimate taxi queue .... then the taxi not bringing you to the right hotel hoping for a kickback if you accept his "recomended" hotel ( this is mostly true in phuket ) .... then all the above mentioned problem on top of awfully expensive hotels that still under construction, with the garbage in front of your room's door and not even a shelve to put your clothes in ( true story happened to my parents in a 4000 baht per night hotel in krabi 2 years ago ) .... all in all my parent whose both children live in thailand and used to come spend an average of 3 months a year spending at least a million baht a month, are no going more to the carribean and will come to thailand only in case of absolute necessity , they are absolutely fed up by the Thais bad attitude towards foreigners .... and each time their friends ask them about going to thailand they just disuade them the best they can with all the horror stories they have been through ....

i guess they are not the only ones to strongly advise people not to bother with thailand judging by the reports you can read on most travel boards

and i'll counter your 60% with 98% of people who post on internet forums about their holidays being those people who had something go wrong or who had an appalling experience. you never hear about the good and positive stories online, just the shit from people who often want something to moan about and will do so come hel_l or high water. they're always localised and very personal stories, i'm talking about global perception of tens of thousands of tourists and ergo potential customers.

Som Num "Kin" Nah....................

To much Crime. Violence and hatred to the falang.

And it wont get any better, the will self destruct without doubt. theres no way back from the money grabbing, corrupt ways that so many officials adopt.

Just money money.

And they critisised Thaksin................. Hmmmmmmm there all at it blatantly at it. At least he could lead the country while he lined his pockets. now the countrys outta the window and its every man for hisself

Do you think it is any different in the US? Same thing caused all the problems here---- IT'S CALLED GREEED!

Yeah. I guess they learned Greed from somewhere (may be :D tourists learned them).the tourists come from mostly countries that Kicked down natives,went to Africa to get free labourpower ,,,,colonised the rest of the world.( in the genes now) (hard to get rid of)and just said shut up we want this land or we kill you all.( they sure did kill a "few") We really have to show some more respect now,in every way.I dont think we are entitled to respect these days.Soo get up and smile and stop whining.Thai people Generaly have that Respectness we lost Yeears ago.and that i really missed in the west........That is 1 major Reason i Love this country and that also made me want to stay here.I felt so alone bcus i tried and tried but there was not many left of "me". In Thailand am among people of my "OWN KIND" Yet. :) Now we r going out to eat somtam with a lot of kung heng and a handfull katiam.mmm.