Wireless 'repeaters'

LivinLOS

I am almost certainly going to be renting a large 500m2 property.. As it will not be mine and as its pretty luxuriously decked out drilling and cable pulling needs to be kept to a minimum..

My current home net (4 PC's and 2 thin clients) is a combination of wired and 802.11b wireless.. I dont need high speeds on the net and can live with going fully wireless but dont think my access point will cover the whole villa.

I am aware of wireless repeaters (and thier drawbacks in lowering throughput) but have no idea where to get them.. Anyone know of a domestic source ?? Preferably one that would post down to Phuket ??

Most modern AP's (access points) can be set up as repeaters. Check the manuals for details. Be careful to get wireless access points, not wireless routers, since many routers can't communicate with another router wirelessly.

Edited by Firefoxx

Wait until you move in, and experiment with the positioning of your existing Wireless access point. You may find it will cover the whole building.

If you do go for a repeater you will need to watch security to make sure

you are not providing Internet service for all your neighbours!!

Of course I will set my WEP key (though I am not too worried about a loose signal as I am on uncapped account).. Positioning the router will almost certainly be wherever the first network point end up in the house.. I cant drill and cable pull.

As per the initial question, does anyone know a supplier of repeaters or AP/Repeaters in Thailand online or that will mail.. Have not found a supplier here on phuket yet.