Ping River Level At Nawarat Bridge?

rebo

Last night we had almost 20 cm of rain fall. Since we live in Saraphi which is actually a bowl (Once it’s filled via the ingenious road along the railway track it takes weeks to get rid of the water here) I’m quite concerned about Ping water level.

Unfortunately the website of the Office of Hydrology and Water Management (http://www.hydro-1.net/ Menu #6: Monitoring/Reports > 1st table: hourly water levels) is not updated.

Does anybody has info about the current level at Nawarat bridge?

Thanks.

nothing from the river i'm afraid but a few locals i was speaking to the other night are confident that the unseasonably early heavy rain will mean the ping bursting its banks as it has in years gone by.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of.

Then water runs into the railway station bowl, and from there into the artificial river bed (the road along the track) and straight into Saraphi.

If it goes along like this , pretty sure it will get devastating again .

As a couple of years ago , don't hope so cause the wife got her shop at ChangKlan ,

and although it must be very severe it could get all over the place .

Hope it doesn't get that far .

Flooding is always a problem whenever anyone builds in a river valley. It might not happen in a 10 year period, but it WILL happen at some time. That is why the old time Thais all built their homes on posts above ground level.

Improperly built government project often ascerbate the problem. Good luck.

Flooding is always a problem whenever anyone builds in a river valley. It might not happen in a 10 year period, but it WILL happen at some time. That is why the old time Thais all built their homes on posts above ground level.

I was expecting Ian to post a picture of a fish he caught there in a previous flood. :)

Edited by harrry

According to old people (And we also live here since almost 20 years) there was no flooding issue in our area until that useless road along the railway track was built some years ago.

One more thing makes me worried: All the little countryside klongs are not maintained/cleaned since two, three years, resulting in man-made dams by logs, bamboo canes and other solid things under small bridges in case the water level rises. 4 years ago this led to several flash floods around here after the bridges collapsed.

Actually our main house is built on posts but having to use boat instead of car for 2 months is more than uncomfortable, not to mention clean water supply and being dependent on generator power. And can you imagine what remains of a nice garden after being flooded over 2 months?

I was expecting Ian to post a picture of a fish he caught there in a previous flood. :D

Here yah go, Harrry... :):D:D

Ian_with_catfish_sunset_Em.sized.jpg

Man always tries to "improve" things without taking into account what nature might do. I see it all the time here in Canada.

Last night we had almost 20 cm of rain fall. Since we live in Saraphi which is actually a bowl (Once it’s filled via the ingenious road along the railway track it takes weeks to get rid of the water here) I’m quite concerned about Ping water level.

Unfortunately the website of the Office of Hydrology and Water Management (http://www.hydro-1.net/ Menu #6: Monitoring/Reports > 1st table: hourly water levels) is not updated.

Does anybody has info about the current level at Nawarat bridge?

Thanks.

I don't think you have to worry too much about the Ping, at least yet. Your 20 cm (i.e. 200 mm) of rain must have been a very local rainstorm over Saraphi. The Thai Meteorological Department only reports 11.0 mm of rain for Chiang Mai yesterday. I think that their observations are made at the airport.

/ Priceless

Your 20 cm (i.e. 200 mm) of rain must have been a very local rainstorm over Saraphi.

I hope you are right, Priceless. http://www.cmmet.tmd.go.th/radar/radar.php

Where do you have the info about precipitation amount from?

Ah, you know Priceless; He's got all the statistics. The rainfall statistic is a combined bunch of averages.

Local areas can all be higher or lower than the average statistic.

Statistics are for losers... You've got one foot in boiling water and the other foot in ice water and the average says you should be comfortable. :):D

Today it was raining just up the road from me while I was basking in the sunshine. :D

According to the "statistics" the real rainy season shouldn't happen before September. Here's hoping the rain fall is balanced and doesn't come all at once. That way it allows the runoff to occur without flooding.

In my view of the Ping, all looks normal. Wait until September for any flooding, but at this point, it is too early to tell. :)

I agree. Flooding caused by rivers usually happens when a lot of rain falls in a short time near the end of the rainy season when all the reservoirs are full. Then water has to be released to keep dams from overflowing / breaking, which causes flodding in low lying areas nearish to the river.

In addition to that you get smaller localized flash-flooding due to heavy rain and/or clogged drains. That can happen at any time.

This is June. Seems to me there's plenty time to gradually release water, if it needs to be released at all.

But yes, I'm building my next house on stilts. I think it makes a lot of sense, plus you get better views and catch more breeze.

Your 20 cm (i.e. 200 mm) of rain must have been a very local rainstorm over Saraphi.

I hope you are right, Priceless. http://www.cmmet.tmd.go.th/radar/radar.php

Where do you have the info about precipitation amount from?

My information comes from here: http://www.tmd.go.th/en/weather_report_dai...ionNumber=48327

As opposed to what IanForbes thinks, a rainfall amount like this is not "a combined bunch of averages", but simply an exact measurement at one particular location at one particular point in time. It has nothing whatsoever to do with averages or any other type of computed statistic.

If you are interested in weather statistics for Chiang Mai, you can go here: http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province_stat.php?...ionNumber=48327

Unfortunately the averages published by the TMD are for some reason based on observations from 1961-1990 :) Don't ask me why.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Thanks for the link and comment, Priceless. Just found this in a note from TMD:

Warning

"Heavy Rainfall Over Thailand"

No. 2 (93/2552) Time Issued : June 18, 2009

A trough of low pressure lies across the North and the upper Northeast of Thailand and the strong southwest monsoon prevails over the Andaman Sea, Thailand and the upper Gulf. There remain torrential rain and isolated heavy rain over the mentioned areas and the windward. This will be in effect for the areas as following: A.Mae Sariang and A.Sop Muei, C.Mae Hong Son, A.Hot, A.Chom Thong, A.Doi Tao and A.Omkoi, C.Chiang Mai, A.Muang and A.Mae Tha, C.Lamphun, A.Mae Mo, A.Mae Tha and A.Thoen, C.Lampang, A.Song, A.Wang Chin, A.Den Chai, A.Sung Men and A.Muang, C.Phrae, A.Laplae and A.Muang, C.Uttaradit, A.Thung Saliam, A.Si Satchanalai and A.Sawankhalok, C.Sukhothai, A.Mae Sot, A.Mae Ramat and A.Tha Song Yang, C.Tak and A.La-un and A.Muang, C.Ranong. People along foothills by waterways and in lowland should beware of flash flood in this period.

Besides, strong wind-waves are likely in the Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf of Thailand. All ships should proceed with caution, and small boats keep ashore in the next few days.

The advisory is in effect for Thailand from 18 June 2009,

Issued at 11.30 a.m.

Weather Forecast Bureau, Meteorological Department

Ministry of Information and Communication Technology

Thanks for the link and comment, Priceless. Just found this in a note from TMD:

Warning

"Heavy Rainfall Over Thailand"

No. 2 (93/2552) Time Issued : June 18, 2009

A trough of low pressure lies across the North and the upper Northeast of Thailand and the strong southwest monsoon prevails over the Andaman Sea, Thailand and the upper Gulf. There remain torrential rain and isolated heavy rain over the mentioned areas and the windward. This will be in effect for the areas as following: A.Mae Sariang and A.Sop Muei, C.Mae Hong Son, A.Hot, A.Chom Thong, A.Doi Tao and A.Omkoi, C.Chiang Mai, A.Muang and A.Mae Tha, C.Lamphun, A.Mae Mo, A.Mae Tha and A.Thoen, C.Lampang, A.Song, A.Wang Chin, A.Den Chai, A.Sung Men and A.Muang, C.Phrae, A.Laplae and A.Muang, C.Uttaradit, A.Thung Saliam, A.Si Satchanalai and A.Sawankhalok, C.Sukhothai, A.Mae Sot, A.Mae Ramat and A.Tha Song Yang, C.Tak and A.La-un and A.Muang, C.Ranong. People along foothills by waterways and in lowland should beware of flash flood in this period.

Besides, strong wind-waves are likely in the Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf of Thailand. All ships should proceed with caution, and small boats keep ashore in the next few days.

The advisory is in effect for Thailand from 18 June 2009,

Issued at 11.30 a.m.

Weather Forecast Bureau, Meteorological Department

Ministry of Information and Communication Technology

There goes my 4 night motorcycle ride in the mountains of N. Thailand. :)

Statistics are for losers...

Twin, I suppose, of the belief that ignorance is for winners.

"incest of twins fantasy and factual

is what we experience as the actual"

Ur-Orang Public Melon Level Two Teachings

regards, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

I was expecting Ian to post a picture of a fish he caught there in a previous flood. :D

Here yah go, Harrry... :D:D:D

Ian_with_catfish_sunset_Em.sized.jpg

Man always tries to "improve" things without taking into account what nature might do. I see it all the time here in Canada.

This fish is fake, right, pic staged(?) :):D

That is why the old time Thais all built their homes on posts above ground level.

I thought I read that space is/was for animals.

That also... and UNWANTED critters like snakes and rats.

Oh, and that fish is real enough, even though it has weird eyes. It's a Mekong catfish (Pla Bok) that you can catch in any of the pay for play fishing ponds.

He forgot to use Red-Eye-Reduction on the fish.

A flash photo directly into the sun and then lightened considerably always gives a weird effect. I only posted the photo to tease Harrry a bit. If you keep a topic near the top of the board then someone like Priceless will see it and post something with valuable information. It's always handy seeing the charts.

• 2 months later...
The Ping River looks very high this afternoon. My mubaan is known to flood in past years. Should I be worried?

I'm not sure if it's legal to say this or not, but I wouldn't be worried just yet.

There is a big depression in N Laos and we're probably getting the tail-end of that. Last night a friend said that heavy rain is expected for the next few days so I'd certainly keep an eye out. There have been some big downpours in the last few days so I would expect the river to be high right now, but so long as we get a couple of days of respite it should be okay.

The big danger of major flooding comes when they get one big depression quickly followed by another. Sometimes , at this time of year, they release water from the dams so as to prepare for future storms. That causes a very rapid increase in the level of the river. As far as I know, the dams are below normal levels so that shouldn't be case right now. There was a Thai web-site that showed the ping river level and it was mentioned in a similar post here a year or so again. Try searching for that. Maybe someone has bookmarked it?

Thai Met Dept

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=2