Language School

Komerican

Are there Thai language schools in Phuket that provides ED visa?

I am thinking about living in Phuket for a year and rather than do visa runs I would like to take classes to learn Thai as well.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Yes a few..

Plenty, but some of them want one year advance payments and then close/disappear. it would be illegal according to thai law to mention any names :)

Then, any reputable ones with good program?

Patong Language School have been here for 25 years, and on the same spot for several years. They have a good business, and are not marketing that they offer Thai classes with ED-visa. But they do! This is far from their main source of income, and the price they ask are pretty much the double of what I have seen in ads for language schools in Bangkok here on the forum.

I good friend of mine was interested in saving some money, and choose another school in Patong after reading an ad in Phuket Gazette. In order to get the papers stamped from the Ministry of Education he had to pay for one years studies up front. The papers were supposed to be returned in 2-3 weeks. No papers after one month. 7 weeks after he payed, the shophouse with the school was empty, and the cellphone to the owner turned off.

I have seen some ads for other language schools offering ED-visa here on Phuket island, but after my friends experience I would at least check them once and twice before I paid them much, since some of them just pop up and then disappear after a short while.

Even in paradise there was a snake...

Patong Language School have been here for 25 years, and on the same spot for several years. They have a good business, and are not marketing that they offer Thai classes with ED-visa. But they do! This is far from their main source of income, and the price they ask are pretty much the double of what I have seen in ads for language schools in Bangkok here on the forum.

I good friend of mine was interested in saving some money, and choose another school in Patong after reading an ad in Phuket Gazette. In order to get the papers stamped from the Ministry of Education he had to pay for one years studies up front. The papers were supposed to be returned in 2-3 weeks. No papers after one month. 7 weeks after he payed, the shophouse with the school was empty, and the cellphone to the owner turned off.

I have seen some ads for other language schools offering ED-visa here on Phuket island, but after my friends experience I would at least check them once and twice before I paid them much, since some of them just pop up and then disappear after a short while.

Even in paradise there was a snake...

Thank you for the info, zulugutt.