South African Woman Jailed 25 Years For Heroin Smuggling

george

Yes, the system is a failed one.

But the other side of the coin is the political caost of backing the replacement,

is usually enough to lose an election. Too few people realize that this system is dysfunctional,

and believe it is the only system that CAN work. So the scare mongers defeat any attempts

at change. They are actually the most scared ones, but generate more fear in others rather

than hope, or logical inference towards the SAME END THEY DESIRE.....

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South African woman jailed 25 years for heroin smuggling

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court Thursday sentenced a South African woman to 25 years in jail and fine of Bt1 million after convicting her in attempting to smuggle 499 grammes of heroin out of the kingdom to China.

Pendu Montando Evidence, 25, was arrested at the Suvarnabhumi International airport on November 16 last year before boarding a flight of Thai Air Asia to Shenzhen. Authorities found 48 bags of heroin hidden on her.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-18

Original story:

South African Woman Arrested Trying To Smuggle Out 3 Million Baht Of Heroin

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/South-Africa...ug-t223336.html

The original story says she was carrying 657 grams, wonder what happened to the missing extra? :)

Martin

Sampling.

Yes, the system is a failed one.

But the other side of the coin is the political caost of backing the replacement,

is usually enough to lose an election. Too few people realize that this system is dysfunctional,

and believe it is the only system that CAN work. So the scare mongers defeat any attempts

at change. They are actually the most scared ones, but generate more fear in others rather

than hope, or logical inference towards the SAME END THEY DESIRE.....

Anarchy is the only way to cleanse the old system :) lol

No but really, stupid world.

I don't know if there is a comparison to smuggling heroin. It would be the same Sentence in the USA as well so not just Thailand. What the prosecutors work on is the avg death through overdose/ Kilo of commercial grade which in effect makes the carrier part of mass murder/manslaughter and i do believe the figure is in the 100'S per kilo of pure grade uncut smack.

why is a drug mule responsible for someone taking an overdose? the drug mules doesn't force anybody to buy and take drugs.

clean pure medical grade H wouldn't actually cause so much problems for the health of an user. that it is cut and mixed with other chemicals is the main problem and with non-sterile needles for example.

decriminalisation and a controlled sale, like good clean stuff that users can by in a pharmacy and not some dirty smack in a shaddy corner, that could reduce the number of death.

Okay look at it like this. You have a weapons smuggler working for a terror organization. He gets caught with a truckload of weapons so why is he to blame? not like he is forcing anyone to pull the trigger. She was one of the most important links in the chain I mean whats the point of producing this stuff if you cant distribute it. It would be worthless! Im flabbergasted at the responses, we are talking Heroin here no coke or pot or an eky tablet for goodness sakes. Nothing more to say from me except I hope your teenage daughter doesnt play with it but by some of thr replys it seems that you wouldnt have a problem with that . Wonder what the reactions would be if your kids had puncture marks up and down the arms. Any takers? Anyone prepared yo say thats okay? I await your responses

I don't know if there is a comparison to smuggling heroin. It would be the same Sentence in the USA as well so not just Thailand. What the prosecutors work on is the avg death through overdose/ Kilo of commercial grade which in effect makes the carrier part of mass murder/manslaughter and i do believe the figure is in the 100'S per kilo of pure grade uncut smack.

why is a drug mule responsible for someone taking an overdose? the drug mules doesn't force anybody to buy and take drugs.

clean pure medical grade H wouldn't actually cause so much problems for the health of an user. that it is cut and mixed with other chemicals is the main problem and with non-sterile needles for example.

decriminalisation and a controlled sale, like good clean stuff that users can by in a pharmacy and not some dirty smack in a shaddy corner, that could reduce the number of death.

Okay look at it like this. You have a weapons smuggler working for a terror organization. He gets caught with a truckload of weapons so why is he to blame? not like he is forcing anyone to pull the trigger. She was one of the most important links in the chain I mean whats the point of producing this stuff if you cant distribute it. It would be worthless! Im flabbergasted at the responses, we are talking Heroin here no coke or pot or an eky tablet for goodness sakes. Nothing more to say from me except I hope your teenage daughter doesnt play with it but by some of thr replys it seems that you wouldnt have a problem with that . Wonder what the reactions would be if your kids had puncture marks up and down the arms. Any takers? Anyone prepared yo say thats okay? I await your responses

She is also the least valuable link in the chain, hence why getting caught. With what effect?

They have some girl who was either conned into it, tricked into it, or just stupid enough for a pittance of a reward... None of those being a good reason to lose 25 years of your life.

What a bunch of dim-witted censorious moralists!! You actually seem to think that the mere carrying of drugs is evil, and that taking them is terrible, and that this poor woman deserves this sentence. You obviously think that prohibition is sensible and right.

The "war on drugs" is an idiocy that has created most of the criminality in the world today and cost society untold billions and untold misery. Drugs should be decriminalised and state-controlled, with support and care for addicts. That policy would be an immense improvement on the current state of affairs worldwide (except in a few enlightened European countries), costing the whole lot of us far far less in taxes and suffering.

People who support the current drastic penalisation of drug-takers and drug-traders are simply out to lunch.

Oh praise be, I was reading through this thread and seriously worrying that the whole forum were fascists, finally someone posts something sensible. I often wonder how dictators and fascist regimes rise to power in the modern era, they do so off the back of self righteous, moralistic little hitlers, the sort of people who hold antiquated views on killing and incarcerating poeple who are victims of a system created and perpetuated by those that purport to care about society.

What seriously annoys me is that whenever these drug related stories come up British people post without even a thinking about our role in the Opium wars and general drug trade though Asia. I am a Brit and know full well we started something Asia has never managed to finish or deal with effectively.

Please stick to China and not Asia in general when you refer to Opium.

The plain and simple fact is, after 70 years of this intense war on drugs (Thinking of the Anslinger days in the US when the DEA was formed) IS NOT GOING TO END, YOUR NOT GOING TO WIN. (Not the opium wars in China although you could argue that or many other previous societies attempts to criminalize substances...)

The is no money generation within this system. Well not that I can see, if it is supposedly working like it is working (which I doubt but I'll get to that) then where is the money being created? The idea is, you seize the substance, arrest the 'bad guy'. Prosecutes him, and jail him. Who just paid for all of that? And its not like they are going to go out and sell the product in order to recover the expense, perhaps some money was seized, but really how often can that outweigh the cost of a huge operation? Thousands of man hours, assets being used, informants being paid, surveillance ect ect. So other than the officers being paid and their money going into the economy how DOES THIS BENEFIT ANYONE?

If you decriminalize the substance, use tax revenue to educated and treat, then you are going to see less numbers of users, reformed people getting back to 'normal' lives and WOW there is actual money creation in this process! ZOMGZ much better than any other previous policy.

Its not rocket science gentlemen, the current system is obviously failing. The evidence for this system being better is mounting. Again I cite Portugals example (decriminalizing all substances in 2001). So whats the fear?

Perhaps the fear is how wrong you have been for so long. How many people have died or had their lives wasted? 'HOW could we have been so wrong?'

And yet these are still popular and supported policies. Especially by the look of opinions in here. It makes me sad our society hasn't grown up a little. At least in here. AND THE WAR ON DRUGS IS LOST.

You are an intelligent(young) man :) .I dont think Many have heard of Mr Anslinger.Saw a documentary once ++,do not remember the name ,nor the link. How the "Anslinger effect "standing strong 2day.

She is also the least valuable link in the chain, hence why getting caught. With what effect?

They have some girl who was either conned into it, tricked into it, or just stupid enough for a pittance of a reward... None of those being a good reason to lose 25 years of your life.

Fair enough. Where do you stand morally? You didn't answer my question.. would you feel the same if your kids became dependent? Not dead yet, Just black eyed, stick thin and sliding away to the dark side. No one brave enough to step up and say that's okay yet.

What a bunch of dim-witted censorious moralists!! You actually seem to think that the mere carrying of drugs is evil, and that taking them is terrible, and that this poor woman deserves this sentence. You obviously think that prohibition is sensible and right.

The "war on drugs" is an idiocy that has created most of the criminality in the world today and cost society untold billions and untold misery. Drugs should be decriminalised and state-controlled, with support and care for addicts. That policy would be an immense improvement on the current state of affairs worldwide (except in a few enlightened European countries), costing the whole lot of us far far less in taxes and suffering.

People who support the current drastic penalisation of drug-takers and drug-traders are simply out to lunch.

Here here! it horrifys me to hear people retort their outdated 1920-30s attitudes with such gusto.

I hope her family does not forget her as she pines away for the next 20 or so years, my heart goes out to her.)

Here here! it horrifys me to hear people retort their outdated 1920-30s attitudes with such gusto.

I hope her family does not forget her as she pines away for the next 20 or so years, my heart goes out to her.)

here here Walter , well done! obviously her family wont be flying Thai air to visit as she was, tricked ,conned and poor :D However since your so compassionate you could visit and become like an extended family? Give her money so she can have a better life and maybe start a website or something :)

Edited by zorro1

Fair enough. Where do you stand morally? You didn't answer my question..

Talking of which.... this one seems to have slipped under your moral radar :)

QUOTE (zorro1 @ 2009-06-20 09:36:46) *

You have to expect some "collateral damage" . I suppose you could argue there are thousand of innocent people in jail or sent to the gallows over the years as well. No system is perfect

So if you, or a close relative, or someone you love, gets caught up in the next "War on Drugs", the headstone can read:

" RIP

Don't Grieve for Me - I Was Collateral Damage.

After All - No System is Perfect "

I am sure we will all understand.

Edited by jackspratt

here here Walter , well done! obviously her family wont be flying Thai air to visit as she was, tricked ,conned and poor :D However since your so compassionate you could visit and become like an extended family? Give her money so she can have a better life and maybe start a website or something :)

"tricked conned & poor" "not flying Thai air to visit" I am in no position to assume anything about her case, perhaps you could verify such details rather than litter more conjecture. Some nice ideas though i hope someone does do those things.

Fair enough. Where do you stand morally? You didn't answer my question.. would you feel the same if your kids became dependent? Not dead yet, Just black eyed, stick thin and sliding away to the dark side. No one brave enough to step up and say that's okay yet.

Ok, I'll take your taunt at its face value. No, of course no one wants to see their loved one wasting away on drugs. You're trying to focus the issue on the worst of what happens to people strung out on H. The exact same argument could be directed towards drunkards, cigarette smokers, pharma drug addicts, or any number of other debilitating habits that our species are prone to abuse. Heck, for that matter, I have an older brother who is a danger to society and actively pisses off nearly everyone he comes in contact with. He doesn't do drugs, rather, he's OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) coupled with a deep set mean streak. You want to discuss that topic also? I didn't think so.

The fact remains, there are draconian laws that seek to use first time offenders as scapegoats. That young woman is looking at 25 years of misery - as retribution for one very stupid decision she made. She can't be blamed for all the misery caused by H, any more than any vendor selling beer or wine or whiskey can be blamed for the tremendous misery caused by alcohol - and I think we can all agree that alcoholic drinks cause more cumulative misery than any other drug, and quite possibly than all other drugs combined.

I feel terrible sad for anyone who has to goto a prison... But a prison in asia.... I mean some people must, but someone so bottom of the food chain, really what is the point? Its not like we ruin a network or deter others, usually its the poorest who choose to take it. Or the dumbest, or even people unknowingly. There are many people who are suffering because of things that really was difficult to avoid given the circumstances they are dealt. Or the story I have heard of people picking up Americans (young women) and convincing them a good way to make money is to do it with them. Of course usually they have nothing and when they get through maybe a reward is given, but these are again the young stupid people who are prone to making mistakes. We all know what it is to be 18 - 21 (hel_l I am 21!), things we may think one second are funny harmless or impressive... or have a really good reward may appear to be worth an often talked down risk.

Thats why I always pack my bags, and don't befriend dodgy people. Aside from that asshol_e who stole my 23,000 a few months back which I mention on here... but I totally didn't see that coming.

Heroin KILLS.If you deal in it YOU KILL.Off with your head.Plan and simple.

Its a well known fact that saturated fat kills, yet shops continue to fry in it. Kill the fish and chip shop man?

The state kills, (USA, China and a variety of others that advocate the death penalty)So perhaps we should 'off with their head'

I am reluctant to say this but i must, if you think people who sell heroin are murderers then you are showing your ignorance.

Heroin is an extremely safe drug to use long term be it yet extremely adictive (not as adictive as nicotine mind you and that is sold over the counter) Have you ever given anyone a cigarette? because according to this retoric you are guilty of murder or at least aiding and abetting suicide. it is only large ammounts taken at once that can kill. To OD though smoking heroin is almost impossible regardless of the purity.It and its derivatives remain the pain killers of choice in medicine

using drugs is a personel choice (one that i most definitly do not recomend) however it is your body do as you want to it. Heroin does not kill, OD in heroin kills. so to does the state punishing those who foolishly choose to partake. So to does the state selling cigarettes, so to do hookers having sex with hiv, so to does the spray on your vegetables at Lotus.

Heroin KILLS.If you deal in it YOU KILL.Off with your head.Plan and simple.

Its a well known fact that saturated fat kills, yet shops continue to fry in it. Kill the fish and chip shop man?

The state kills, (USA, China and a variety of others that advocate the death penalty)So perhaps we should 'off with their head'

I am reluctant to say this but i must, if you think people who sell heroin are murderers then you are showing your ignorance.

Heroin is an extremely safe drug to use long term be it yet extremely adictive (not as adictive as nicotine mind you and that is sold over the counter) Have you ever given anyone a cigarette? because according to this retoric you are guilty of murder or at least aiding and abetting suicide. it is only large ammounts taken at once that can kill. To OD though smoking heroin is almost impossible regardless of the purity.It and its derivatives remain the pain killers of choice in medicine

using drugs is a personel choice (one that i most definitly do not recomend) however it is your body do as you want to it. Heroin does not kill, OD in heroin kills. so to does the state punishing those who foolishly choose to partake. So to does the state selling cigarettes, so to do hookers having sex with hiv, so to does the spray on your vegetables at Lotus.

My view on the subject is that I really do not care about users of any discription, if they want to use, thats their decision but I object to my tax money being used in any way, no one forces them to use drugs , it's their choice and whether you or anyone else is an advocate of these people be prepared that others are not and whether any of you like it or not there are laws, if you don't agree with incarceration or the death penalty then they can take or peddle their drugs in Portugal.

Personally I have never heard of a cigarette smoker robbing people or stealing to feed their habit.

again, all these strict policies, long jail terms and death penalties aren't so sucessful fighting against this social vice of drug misuse. people still doing it. it seems to be part of human nature to seek the use of some recreational drugs. people buying it, and despite the harsh penalties there is the market where it is available. the ban on marihuana or coca leaves lead to some alternatives to smuggle, like cocain. that has a better value per volume ratio. important for the trader/smuggler. or take that real ugly drug Meth, that can made in home laboratories and the ever existing black market on drugs can avoid cross border transport risks.

people don't take drugs because they are just avalable or a drug mule brought them across the border. there are other factors that lead a single persons to the life of a drug addict. the overall society norms, the parents house, education, the curiosity in the young generation , the urge to rebellion, teenage kicks and much much more. the drug mule is one of the least important links. hunting down the single drug mule just keep the prices for drugs up and helps a strong mafia cartel with much better logistics and better connections to keep the monopoly in that market.

anyway, there are a lot of pro and contra arguments about legalization or not or how that crime should be handled by the authorities.

come up with an emotional "but when your own innocent daughter" argument just shows your lack of knowledge on that subject.

Thailand has gone soft. 25 years to easy on her what is wrong can't they afford the rope.

In this day and age we would hope to have evolved from the sentencing of the death penalty.

If I were stupid enough to get into a situation like that, I'd gladly take a death penalty over the prospect of spending 25 years in a Thai prison.

Anway its all pointless now, She copped 25 years where she can quietly rot away. All those like myself that appose Heroin smuggling are very happy at the outcome thank you very much, Justice prevails :)

Good closure for me so will log off this thread, good luck to the drug trafficking supporters here, adios

If my kid did that, I'd beat the shit out of him and send him to rehab. Love Thailand, the police wouldn't even attempt to stop me if it was for his own good. One good thing about Thai police.

But I definitely wouldn't want him going to jail.

As for his dealer, I'd deal with that myself. Again, I love Thailand.

My view on the subject is that I really do not care about users of any discription, if they want to use, thats their decision but I object to my tax money being used in any way, no one forces them to use drugs , it's their choice and whether you or anyone else is an advocate of these people be prepared that others are not and whether any of you like it or not there are laws, if you don't agree with incarceration or the death penalty then they can take or peddle their drugs in Portugal.

Personally I have never heard of a cigarette smoker robbing people or stealing to feed their habit.

Who do you think pays for the wasted war on drugs? Where do you think the billions of $ for catching and prosecuting these people comes from, let alone locking them up(which costs <deleted>* all in thailand 33 baht per day is it per person)? Where is the money made in this process as I have pointed out before? There is no money to be made from the current system, and because its making money for others it will never go away. Your being stupid because you think it will cost you more to change, and your being even more stupid by being content with the current system. Sure your life is happy, so what does it matter? Screw everyone else right? ME ME ME.

Anway its all pointless now, She copped 25 years where she can quietly rot away. All those like myself that appose Heroin smuggling are very happy at the outcome thank you very much, Justice prevails :)

Good closure for me so will log off this thread, good luck to the drug trafficking supporters here, adios

Very happy with the outcome because your life is pointless, without experience and without compassion for others. Your opinion and mindset represent you well, completely mediocre... believing the illusion you have makes you happy. You and people like you are the reason that society still wastes billions on fatuous laws and enforcing them every year. To keep small minded YOU happy at home and voting for them, when really you don't realize your money is being wasted, the pictures on TV and the successes of the police paraded for you to feel good about yourself and where you live when in reality nothing has changed. The world still rotates, the drugs are still injected, the people are still smuggling and congradu-fuc*ing-lations you picked up some either forced or insanely stupid woman, and this makes you happy?

Which part made you happy? Your wasted money? Your being lied to through the cameras? Do you get some sick feeling of self fulfillment or go out and congratulate your local cops on the job well done? Hopefully I don't disturb your little world, your mind probably closed long ago anyway.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

----------------------------

In the end, you have a perfectly healthy, possibly stupid, 25 year old woman who is just really discovering adulthood and has no real idea of the world outside what she knows. Now she is in a foreign land, in a foreign prison going to spend the government of that countries money for the next 25 years of her now miserable life. She may have known the concequences, hel_l possibly they were better than he life anyway, or she might not have known at all, who knows in the end.

Even if she willingly smuggled it, got caught and sent to jail. How does 25 years really do good for anyone in this situation?

The real traffickers already had 100 mules after her go through, you got 1. The real money is flowing around Thailand, and Thailand is just getting the costs. So, whats the point?

It seriously obviously isn't a great deterant or we wouldn't have so many stupid people getting caught for it would we. Again, failed policy, but one that won't change as long as you are still content with it.

TRY AND EXPLAIN WHO IT BENEFITS

If my kid did that, I'd beat the shit out of him and send him to rehab. Love Thailand, the police wouldn't even attempt to stop me if it was for his own good. One good thing about Thai police.

But I definitely wouldn't want him going to jail.

As for his dealer, I'd deal with that myself. Again, I love Thailand.

Who do you think pays for the wasted war on drugs? Where do you think the billions of $ for catching and prosecuting these people comes from, let alone locking them up(which costs <deleted>* all in thailand 33 baht per day is it per person)? Where is the money made in this process as I have pointed out before? There is no money to be made from the current system, and because its making money for others it will never go away. Your being stupid because you think it will cost you more to change, and your being even more stupid by being content with the current system. Sure your life is happy, so what does it matter? Screw everyone else right? ME ME ME.

Very happy with the outcome because your life is pointless, without experience and without compassion for others. Your opinion and mindset represent you well, completely mediocre... believing the illusion you have makes you happy. You and people like you are the reason that society still wastes billions on fatuous laws and enforcing them every year. To keep small minded YOU happy at home and voting for them, when really you don't realize your money is being wasted, the pictures on TV and the successes of the police paraded for you to feel good about yourself and where you live when in reality nothing has changed. The world still rotates, the drugs are still injected, the people are still smuggling and congradu-fuc*ing-lations you picked up some either forced or insanely stupid woman, and this makes you happy?

Which part made you happy? Your wasted money? Your being lied to through the cameras? Do you get some sick feeling of self fulfillment or go out and congratulate your local cops on the job well done? Hopefully I don't disturb your little world, your mind probably closed long ago anyway.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

----------------------------

In the end, you have a perfectly healthy, possibly stupid, 25 year old woman who is just really discovering adulthood and has no real idea of the world outside what she knows. Now she is in a foreign land, in a foreign prison going to spend the government of that countries money for the next 25 years of her now miserable life. She may have known the concequences, hel_l possibly they were better than he life anyway, or she might not have known at all, who knows in the end.

Even if she willingly smuggled it, got caught and sent to jail. How does 25 years really do good for anyone in this situation?

The real traffickers already had 100 mules after her go through, you got 1. The real money is flowing around Thailand, and Thailand is just getting the costs. So, whats the point?

It seriously obviously isn't a great deterant or we wouldn't have so many stupid people getting caught for it would we. Again, failed policy, but one that won't change as long as you are still content with it.

TRY AND EXPLAIN WHO IT BENEFITS

Read and inwardly digest little boy, in one of your earlier posts you was castigating posters for believing everything they heard or read and yet at the same time quoting other peoples experience on the matter with your numerous links so it's not your thinking by any stretch of anyones imagination.

Your right of course, it is my tax money being spent on drug addicts and I resent it very much, but I would resent it even more if it was legalised and my money was being used to pay for their recreation, and no I really do not want anyone dying in those circumstances of an O.D. but even in the example you hold up, Portugal they still have dealers so the problem to a degree still holds sway.

You are not adverse about making assumptions concerning this poor unfortunate individual who you have not the slightest real knowledge of as a person, you say that perhaps she is stupid and knows nothing of real life outside her own existence,....at 25yrs old, and you don't know that she may well be an old hand at this but you and your supporters always slip in the "well she could have been forced" but what pis-es me off about people like you who at 21 yrs old think you know it all and everyone else is wrong well my tree hugging friend you know fu22all because all the crap your coming out with is NOT reducing the numbers one iota, check your first link.

I do not presume to know how to STOP drug taking not just to move it around willy nilly and legalise it but still end up with the same numbers and what your advising is not getting to the hub of the problem, your arguments may well be very valid but with your sarcastic remarks and attempts to bully people will only encourage people to rebel against some kid that thinks he 's been there done that and got the tea shirt, so grow up and try listening to other points of view, and of course all the real experts that know how to fix the problem are part of the overall conspiracy to line their pockets.

Stop ranting, stop flaming. stop trying to throw your weight around and tell everyone here how you would reduce the drug taking numbers, not bring it out in the open but reduce it.

Your right aussiejohn, screw these people who take drugs of their own volition along with smokers who need medical treatment on the NHS and drunks, anyone that paticipates in something by choice that is purely for their own enjoyment has consequences, and try reading posts that make suggestions in an attempt to find a cure for those addicted,I'm on record saying they should be given 3 chances to get clean all your advocating is legalise it.