Help I've Lost A Temple

Mahseer

Decided to take the long way back to town from Chiang Dao via Phrao so we could show some family a particular temple but despite both myself and the wife believing that it was just south of Phrao on 1001 it wasn't there and we just can't place where it is. Aside from the photo which wasn't taken from the main road but the temple is clearly visible from the road there is also another more traditional temple in the same grounds along with a water feature accredited to the King. Grounds are absolutely huge and have monks quarters scattered amongst the trees and there is also a huge lake there as well as a third temple of sorts which had a slot machine of all things within.

Can someone please tell me where it is.

post-30115-1245326120_thumb.jpg

I think it might be the temple of Luang Por Waen (v. famous monk now deceased) just south of Phrao. I think its about 10kms south of Phrao. Its off the road and there are 2 fairly large buildings as you go in and the photo you have taken is a building at the back which houses things to do with the monk (remains?) - I can't remember. There are many kuttis in between, mostly empty.

As far as I can tell from the photo it should be the place as it is the only really famous temple along Phrao - CM road.

If you want the name I can post tomorrow - have to ask someone.

I think you’ll find Wat Doi Mae Pang is the place you're looking for.

567481524_dUykQ-M.jpg

GPS Waypoint: N19 12.708 E99 11.229

Approximately 18 kms south of Phrao.

You "can't miss" the huge archway going into the temple grounds.

Go here for a Wikipedia history

I went to the temple a day or two after the cremation in 86 & there were thousands / kilometres of cars parked on R1001. Unbelievable "football crowds" there by the highway. Kilometres of land were cleared just to park cars!

Edited by davidgtr

Thank you very much cmsally and davidgtr for confirmation that the temple complex is south of Phrao but now I am absolutely baffled how we missed it as it was broad daylight, excellent visibility and I hadn't had a drop all day and looking at david's map there isn't a bypass where we could have hit 1001 south of the complex so will have to revisit and restore sanity.

Thanks again.

Thank you very much cmsally and davidgtr for confirmation that the temple complex is south of Phrao but now I am absolutely baffled how we missed it as it was broad daylight, excellent visibility and I hadn't had a drop all day and looking at david's map there isn't a bypass where we could have hit 1001 south of the complex so will have to revisit and restore sanity.

Thanks again.

Total change of subject--where do you fish for mahseer--India, obviously, but whereabouts?