Alternatives

I haven't read much here for 4-5 years, since I met and married my wife.

What I remember from then is not close to all (I thought) I knew then, and I figure there may have been changes during the last 4-5 years... so all out-of-date here, maybe you can help me.

My situation is:

I'm 36 years old, retired (early), approximately 35.000 bath/month, no money in bank, but it can be arranged (maybe not this year or next year, but.... "soon enough"), I'm swedish.

My wife is both thai and swedish (for about 1 year now), and we met for +5 years ago, married for +4.5 years.

Two Sons together, they're only (so far) swedish.

We haven't went deep into the education-issue yet, for our Sons... convinced it can be solved quite easily.

What we would like to achive...

not having to worry about visas, everytime we go to Thailand and stay 3-6 months.

Living in Thailand full time, or 6 months Sweden, 6 months Thailand every year.

Avoiding thai military service for our Sons.

What I know.... that retirement demand I must be age +50 (?) (was +55 when I read 5 years ago :o ), and have 800.000 bath on thai bank, or split between retirement-income (when I last read you could have +55.000 bath/month OR 800.000 bath in bank, or a compromise between this (I get 35.000/month, so that would mean 200.000-300.000 bath in bank, if still the same)) - I guess my low age would be the problem here... anyone knows anything about a situation when age could be overlooked?

I partially supports my wifes parents.... together with my wifes sister (and her swedish husband), it isn't an amount worth mention - and doesn't require my presence - still I've read something about "support spouses parents".

We have no assets in Thailand, so far.

I read, for only 1-2 years, that if kids has dual citizenship they could give up their thai citizenship at age 19, just to avoid getting drafted, and at age 21-22, re-get thai citizenship.... is there any truth in that? is it possible, are there better ways?

We've possibilities to stay for 3 years in a row, that would earn me a residencepermit - if we had the chance to do that... but if we recieve that... most likely our aim would be that spend some 10 years going back and forth between here and Thailand... 6 months each.... so that my wife could work 6 months every year, here - live a richer life....

Anyone of you that can and want to share your knowledge with us, helping us, suggestions, ideas, thoughts.... everything would be appreciated.

Thanks

You really do not meet any criteria for a long stay visa to Thailand with what you have provided but you might be able to do it.

Retirement is very much age 50 and 800k/65k per month which you do not have in any case. The other option is support of Thai wife and you might be able to squeak by on the 400k/40k that requires if you have proof of the 35k income and a good bank account balance. I would not count on PR status without employment here in Thailand and/or high educational achievements or such as the three years stay is just the minimum to apply for consideration.

As for military service do not know how that is avoided. Is it really that important not to serve? Do not believe that attitude will help your PR prospects so you might not want to voice it too loud.

Believe at age 36 I would be looking for a second career rather than being retired. That might make for a better future than trying to move every six months.

Realistically, there is no way to avoiding being a part of the conscription process unless the Thai male is living outside the country until he is 30.

Do a search on this site under entries I have put in under my name. I have posted on this topic a couple of times.

You almost qualify for a visa supporting your wife (40K pm)

To get PR you also need to be a good tax payer and on 35K a month

you will not meet that requirement.

If you want to live here you will need to get a job, but that depends on

your qualifications/skills etc.

I can only assume that you have significant Assets in Sweden (or elswehere) since an income of Baht 35,000.- a month would be far too small to support your own Family (wife and two young sons) here in Thailand, let alone contribute to the support of your wife's Parents plus her sister and her husband?

Are you living in Sweden now?

Unless your "Baht 35,000.-" income is well protected against inflation you would be extremely foolish to even consider "retiring" at age 36 - again unless you have substantial Assets outside Thailand.

I believe you need to sit down and really think ahead; you have many years of significant expenditure coming up - not least the cost of your childrens' education which, if you live in Thailand, will be very expensive unless you intend to condemn them to the Thai school system. What provisions have you made for illness / medical expenses, particularly for your young children? What about savings for retirement? How will you accumulate Assets - in Thailand or elsewhere? How do you plan to afford to travel backwards and forwards between Thailand and Sweden twice a year on your income?? The list goes on ......

Frankly if I was in your situation I would be extremely worried about the future and the last thing on my mind would be "Retirement" - in Thailand or anywhere else.

Partick

Thanks VERY much, even though it was less optimistic then I searched for :o

Yes, my situation is not the best for what I desire, but I'm convinced it isn't impossible.

My "income" is very low, but.... it is the same amount of money that I live for in Sweden, and support wife and 3 kids.... and (when) owning a (small) house in Thailand, all the bills will be cheaper there... we're not into traveling or tourist-stuff.... a house, a garden, our family and my wifes family, going to the mall occasionally.... cheap living.

I've been retired for about 6 years now, so I'm familiar with this "poor living" already.

About schooling, my aim was home-school or thai-school, or a mix.

In Sweden there's a system so my boys could come here at age 16-20 (even 30, 40, 50) and get an education, and getting paid (with or without loan).

My hope was set on going back and forth, 6 months each, with wife working in Sweden for 6 months, bringing in some extra 300.000 bath every year (+100.000 bath to pay for back and forth-trip, still would leave us 200.000 bath richer, every year - compared to now... when we also have to pay swedish cost 12 months/year)

so split-living would give us a richer life, in many ways - and 200.000 bath/year may also be sufficient to pay if we would like to have our boys in some english school in Thailand, maybe... haven't checked costs much, yet.

Anyway, you all confirm what I already knew..... for me to start living in Thailand before age of +50 will be extremly hard, maybe impossible.... though I hoped anyone of you knew something that I didn¨t... that could help me.... guess I've to put that dream aside, and maybe start dreaming about 3 months/year in Thailand instead.... 3 months should not be any problem, right?

Maybe you could update me about that.... is there any special paper I could get, for not having to buy 3-months-visas for my Sons every time, without them being thai citizens (having to do military service, if 30 years or younger).

Thank you all for being so helpful, investing your time and that knowledge that you've worked to aquire (some way or another), and give it to me - fast and free....

I appreciate that.....

Thanks