Land Prices?

seancar29

Hello to any farmers or land owners out there. Looking for a bit of advice if I can.

The wife is currently over visiting family in the Ranong area and is keen to buy a 10 rai piece of land next to her brothers farm. The land currently is growing durian and other high end fruit. Not realising its full potential tho I am led to believe.

The land is on the road, currently has a shack of a house on it, cant say about the utilities but shouldnt be a problem.

My question is, they are asking 800,000 baht. Is this the going rate? Obviously I have said she should negotiate. Her family seem to think it is a good price. The thing is it's next to her brothers land and would be very convenient for him if she bought it. Also she is living in London and that would I imagine affect the price if anyone was to know.

Call me an old cynic but I thought i beter check with you guys just in case you know any more than me.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give,

Sean.

It sounds a fair price at 80k a rai with fruit. It depends on the area of Ranong ofcourse, but at that price, I think it would be an ok buy. Its 50 k per rai in remoter areas with nothing on the land at all.

good luck.

Hello to any farmers or land owners out there. Looking for a bit of advice if I can.

The wife is currently over visiting family in the Ranong area and is keen to buy a 10 rai piece of land next to her brothers farm. The land currently is growing durian and other high end fruit. Not realising its full potential tho I am led to believe.

The land is on the road, currently has a shack of a house on it, cant say about the utilities but shouldnt be a problem.

My question is, they are asking 800,000 baht. Is this the going rate? Obviously I have said she should negotiate. Her family seem to think it is a good price. The thing is it's next to her brothers land and would be very convenient for him if she bought it. Also she is living in London and that would I imagine affect the price if anyone was to know.

Call me an old cynic but I thought i beter check with you guys just in case you know any more than me.

Sean.

It depends on the chanote - the land's title deed.

Sean.

^ Im sure his wife and family have that sorted out. :)

It matters not if the land is chanote or not.. It could be (tax paid land) Tor Bor 6, Tor Bor 5, sor kor 1 or Nor Sor 3, Nor Sor 3 Gor..

This is agricultural land, they aint building a 7 storey condimimium block. :D

Thanks for your help.

I thought it was ok but I had that nagging thought that after she bought it somene would day "HOW MUCH" oh my god thats only 30,000 a rai normally.

I'm glad to hear its the right sort of price. Just have to see now if she's any good at negotiating.

Many thanks,

Sean.

• 2 weeks later...

Sean.

^ Im sure his wife and family have that sorted out. :)

It matters not if the land is chanote or not.. It could be (tax paid land) Tor Bor 6, Tor Bor 5, sor kor 1 or Nor Sor 3, Nor Sor 3 Gor..

This is agricultural land, they aint building a 7 storey condimimium block. :D

I dont think there is a chanote to the land from what her family are saying to her. Apparently all the farm land in that area comes with a Tor Bor or something that sounds like that.

She was saying that her concern is that the government can decide that the compulsory purchase the land if they wished for a figure out of the owners control.

Is this usual, does it happen. for any reason.

If the land as it seems is not chanote what restrictions are there regarding what can be done with it.

My wife will not be doing anything with it for the forseeable future but does intend to build a small house or a shop/business there when she is older. Is this still possible.

Any advice will be excellent, as my wife has never bought anything in thailand before and hasnt lived over there for more than 20 years, so she is as green as I.

Many thanks,

Sean.

I dont think there is a chanote to the land from what her family are saying to her. Apparently all the farm land in that area comes with a Tor Bor or something that sounds like that.

She was saying that her concern is that the government can decide that the compulsory purchase the land if they wished for a figure out of the owners control.

Is this usual, does it happen. for any reason.

If the land as it seems is not chanote what restrictions are there regarding what can be done with it.

My wife will not be doing anything with it for the forseeable future but does intend to build a small house or a shop/business there when she is older. Is this still possible.

Any advice will be excellent, as my wife has never bought anything in thailand before and hasnt lived over there for more than 20 years, so she is as green as I.

Many thanks,

Sean.

probably it's Por Bor Tor.

According to Thai Law Online:

This type of title deed is the least recommended. A land with a possessory right has never been substantiated by Department, but is only recognized by tax payments at the Local Administrative Office. It means that a person is the "possessor", pays taxes, but the real owner is the government. Slowly, the government is changing these old title deeds into Chanotte..or Nor Sor Sam, where the owner of the land is the REAL owner, and the land is clearly delimitated. On possessory rights, you can't register rights like usufruct or a lease. You can't also get a building permit but it's very common for Thai people to build houses on these title deeds without any building permit. Examples of possessory rights are Por Bor Tor or Sor Kor. A land with this type of title deed will have much lesser value than a land with a Nor Sor Sam or Chanotte.

80K per rai looks a bit expensive IMO.