Dual Citizenship?

I'm wondering if I could get a dual citizenship, which would be a Thai citizenship, my mum is Thai and I was entitled to get it if I apply for it, but I want to make sure if it's 100% correct, and also I want to know how long/costs would it take to get a Thai citizenship, thanks for any suggestions. :)

You already have Thai citizenship. You just need proof that you have it by way of getting a Thai birth certificate and passport.

The basic requirements is a birth certificate, your mothers Thai ID card and/or passport and her house registration book,

You should contact the consulate in Sydney about doing it there.

It will not cost much at all. It should not take much more than a month to get it done or even less.

You already have Thai citizenship. You just need proof that you have it by way of getting a Thai birth certificate and passport.

The basic requirements is a birth certificate, your mothers Thai ID card and/or passport and her house registration book,

It will not cost much at all. It should not take much more than a month to get it done or even less.

I think Thailand doesn't recognise dual citizenship. I think once you are 21 you are required to choose. Not sure how strict they are but get ready to serve in the Thai military (compulsory for Thais) after you get you papers done. Wish you all the best.

I wasn't born in Thailand though, I have a Australian citizenship since I am born here. I think the type of proof I need would be to prove my mum was born in Thailand?

I think Thailand doesn't recognise dual citizenship. I think once you are 21 you are required to choose. Not sure how strict they are but get ready to serve in the Thai military (compulsory for Thais) after you get you papers done. Wish you all the best.

There is no problem for a Thai to have dual nationality. This subject has been covered many times in this forum.

A person can choose at the age of 20 to give up one or the other. They do not have to do it.

Unless he comes to Thailand to live and is registered in a house book he will never be subject to the draft.

I wasn't born in Thailand though, I have a Australian citizenship since I am born here. I think the type of proof I need would be to prove my mum was born in Thailand?

your mum will need to apply for a Thai birth certificate for you via the embassy. Once you have this, you can then apply for a passport, which can be used to enter Thailand.

Once in Thailand, you can then get on the house registry, and obtain an ID card, which will be necessary if you plan to live in Thailand.

Her ID and or her passport proves she is Thai. You automaticly had Thai nationality when you were born because you mother is Thai.

This is a rough google translation of the webpage on the conulate website about birth registration.

Documents filed a notification request. (1 copy of documents from each set)

1 passport of father and mother.

2nd ID.

3 registration

4, 1 child photo shoots

5 leaves a copy of birth certificate, certified by Australian Justice of the Peace (JP).

6 leaves of the parents marriage registration.

Download the notification form here.

Fee-free.

Take action 7 days

Contact them to get all the details.

that is totally incorrect. As others have said, the law allows a window between 20 and 21 for a child born to a foregin parent to renounce their thai citizenship, if they wish.

There is no penalty if you don't.

In terms of military service, if you move to Thailand after 30, you are automatically exempted.

Have gone through the entire process myself, as a dual Thai/Australian national

"...Thai military (compulsory for Thais)..."

Your statement, as worded, is incorrect.

As young men, Thai's are eligible for the draft lottery.

Their chances of drawing a 'red ball' depends on how many people the army needs that year, plus where they draw. It is by no means compulsory to actually serve in the military.

Edited by TerryLH

Their chances of drawing a 'red ball' depends on how many people the army needs that year, plus where they draw. It is by no means compulsory to actually serve in the military.

Can someone explain how the military draft works for Dual Citizens (Thai/American)? If they are out of the country, in college in the US, are they still required to participate in the draft lottery?

Edited by JayC

If they have never been registered in a house book or gotten a Thai ID card they will never be called for the draft.

If they have been they would need to file for an exemption for living outside of the country at a Thai embassy or consulate.

Can someone explain how the military draft works for Dual Citizens (Thai/American)? If they are out of the country, in college in the US, are they still required to participate in the draft lottery?

If they are actually called up to attend the draft lottery, you can fill in some forms via the Thai embassy in Washington which will defer attendance at the draft until the year following graduation.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to up this old thread. I was told that the Thai government have changed the laws in Thailand when it comes to those wanting dual citizenships or at least have a mother who is Thai nationality, now would be harder to be eligible for a dual citizenship. I was suppose to get it done last year, but I was quite busy the last time I was in Thailand and forgot all about it.

If they are actually called up to attend the draft lottery, you can fill in some forms via the Thai embassy in Washington which will defer attendance at the draft until the year following graduation.

Just wanted to clarify based on earlier posts on this thread - all this draft business will only apply to men 30 and under right?

Sorry to up this old thread. I was told that the Thai government have changed the laws in Thailand when it comes to those wanting dual citizenships or at least have a mother who is Thai nationality, now would be harder to be eligible for a dual citizenship. I was suppose to get it done last year, but I was quite busy the last time I was in Thailand and forgot all about it.

No.

Changes were made in 2008 but nothing of what you mentioned.

With at least one Thai parent, you are automatically a Thai citizen. You'll need to get the paperwork though. The Thai embassy in Canberra is the place you need to contact to have a Thai birth certificate issued for Australian born Thai citizens.

Just wanted to clarify based on earlier posts on this thread - all this draft business will only apply to men 30 and under right?

Correct, over 30 you will not be drafted. (You might have to pay a small fine, something in the other of 500 baht, if you didn't register for the draft).

Correct, over 30 you will not be drafted. (You might have to pay a small fine, something in the other of 500 baht, if you didn't register for the draft).

Just to be pedantic (though I myself always give 30 as the cut-off), they actually can't touch you anytime onwards from the year you turn 30.

So, say if you turn 30 on the 31st of December, even though you are 29 for most of that year, you are already exempted.

No.

With at least one Thai parent, you are automatically a Thai citizen. You'll need to get the paperwork though. The Thai embassy in Canberra is the place you need to contact to have a Thai birth certificate issued for Australian born Thai citizens.

Thanks for clarifying that. May I ask also, this is quite confusing, my cousin is born in Thailand and she moved to Singapore since she is married and her husband is from Singapore, she this year is trying to buy a house

in Thailand, I'm not sure but now she couldn't because she has a Singapore citizenship or whatever you call it. Does this apply to me as well? which means I can have dual citizenships but I can't buy any properties or houses in Thailand?

Having dual nationality means you are a citizen of both countries, with full rights in both countries. You can buy property in Thailand just like any other Thai.

Your aunt can't, because she is not a Thai anymore. But you are, and for the full 100%.

No.

Thanks for clarifying that. May I ask also, this is quite confusing, my cousin is born in Thailand and she moved to Singapore since she is married and her husband is from Singapore, she this year is trying to buy a house

in Thailand, I'm not sure but now she couldn't because she has a Singapore citizenship or whatever you call it. Does this apply to me as well? which means I can have dual citizenships but I can't buy any properties or houses in Thailand?

Singapore doesn't allow dual nationality, so your aunt would have had to give up her Thai citizenship before she got Singaporean citizenship.

Australia doesn't have an issue with a person holding multiple nationalities. Indeed, my daughters have three nationalities: Australian, NZ and Thai.

No.

so all the paperwork could be done in canberra instead? sweet :)

Yes, and you can apply for a passport the same time you apply for the BC.

For the birth certificate you need the ID of you parents. Check the embassy website what you exactly will need, but you need to cooperation of your parents.

No.

if you were born in Australia, the paperwork has to be done in Canberra. Only the embassy there has the authorisation to issue Thai birthcertificates to those born in Australia. The embassy oversees all issues concerning Thai citizens in Australia.