Options For Internet Connection, Phuket

Ping

I spend 6 months of each year in Patong, Phuket, but the wireless Internet to my nearest ISP is shaky and I am looking at getting an aircard ( I have no access to a 'phone line). Unfortunately, I know nothing about them and the threads I have been able to find pre-suppose knowledge. I would be greatly apreciative if someone would take the trouble to explain the following:

(a) Where to buy/cost?

(:) What are the plan options/monthly costs? (Since I am only in Phuket 6 months per year, I don't want to pay monthly susbscriptions when I am not in th. Can I take only a 6 month subscription?)

© What are the speeds and D/L limits?

(d) If I walk in on any particular day, do they set me up for immediate access or is there a waiting period?

(e) Is the software actually supplied so I can reinstall myself (I occasionally reformat)?

Thanks - Ping

I spend 6 months of each year in Patong, Phuket, but the wireless Internet to my nearest ISP is shaky and I am looking at getting an aircard ( I have no access to a 'phone line). Unfortunately, I know nothing about them and the threads I have been able to find pre-suppose knowledge. I would be greatly apreciative if someone would take the trouble to explain the following:

(a) Where to buy/cost?

(:) What are the plan options/monthly costs? (Since I am only in Phuket 6 months per year, I don't want to pay monthly susbscriptions when I am not in th. Can I take only a 6 month subscription?)

© What are the speeds and D/L limits?

(d) If I walk in on any particular day, do they set me up for immediate access or is there a waiting period?

(e) Is the software actually supplied so I can reinstall myself (I occasionally reformat)?

Thanks - Ping

Sorry but I am unable to give a really detailed reply right now, though I was going to try the CAT CDMA option myself not so long ago. You could simply go to the CAT Office in Patong and they will tell you everything you need to know. Caution though, some people report periodic failures of the CAT system. Of course any system can fail, and in a place like Thailand it does from time to time.

I think the price of the hardware is around 11,000 Baht, and the monthly Fee is then about 900. BUT there is a rumour that CAT will cease the service sometime in the not so distant future. Everything is uncertain.

I have used a Sierra Aircard in the past, and that option now comes with EDGE [a much faster link than the old GSM method], but I believe it is still not as quick as CAT. However don't quote me.

My personal solution is to share an ADSL [TOT Phoneline based service] with a friendly neightbour. I added a small router and Wireless station to the TOT setup and we both share. He gets the best service, since he is hard-wired, but my share is just fine for my needs. It helps that we have a 4Meg [nominal] connection of course.

Hope these scraps of info :D help a little

PS - sorry for the Jargon, but it can all be researched on WIKI, PM if confused.

Edited by AjarnChan

Yes, George (Admin) advised me last year not to go for CAT CDMA because it was to be phased out. Can't go with the neighbour option, so it seems you may be suggesting it's safest to go with Sierra? Any idea of costs/where to buy? Has anyone else any thoughts on this - especially as to CAT CDMA and likelihood of it being phased out?

Wireless or wifi has always been my best option. It is available everywhere and more are being added daily.

For simple email downloads most aircards suffice - I never have html switched on anyways - but if ya wanna download tons of ISOS, then go to a wifi neighborhood for the day. 3G is mostly a myth, outside the US/EU

True will be there soon.

BR>Jack