What Was The Bike You Wanted In High School?

submaniac

Was feeling nostalgic yesterday when I went to a party with my mechanic and we started talking about what we wanted in high school, so I thought I would throw it out here. What was the bike you wanted when you were in high school? Me? FZR 600. Was the top dog of the 600's at the time (and the 1000's were big bikes). Also wanted a 1967 Pontiac GTO...but that's another story.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At high school it was the Benelli 750cc SEI. It was the Ferrari of bikes with that Italian design and character. Oh the memories :) Evidently a dog to ride though. Ended up with my second choice of a Kawasaki Z1b 900. Another beautifully designed bike that made the Honda CB 750 look dated.

post-24982-1245553905_thumb.jpg

Nice thread...a little flashback in time,

The bikes i wanted when i was about15-16 yrs old where these:

post-39208-1245557370_thumb.jpg

post-39208-1245557386_thumb.jpg

post-39208-1245557395_thumb.jpg

a couple years later i wanted these:

RD350YPVS.bmppost-39208-1245557491_thumb.jpg

post-39208-1245557500_thumb.jpg

But actual drive was this KTM Pony 2 super 4 (in green and without the topbox) ....

post-39208-1245557775_thumb.jpg

not particular exciting but it was given to me .So was happy to have anything to drive with.

mbox

Edited by mbox

Being a two stroke man from way back & likeing my power all at once...an RZ500 was the bike I wanted.

Due to a number of reasons I ended up as a 'jocky' aboard a RGV250, which was nice and exciting with just a dozen years of Motor X experience & no idea about old ladies driving about in their moris minors :) .

I think they were early to mid eighties machines :D

The Norton Atlas 750 was a good bike I often daydreamed about in class but by the time I left school got a job and had some cash the Commando 850 was in the showrooms....and I became the owner of a nice shiny red roadster! Yes boys and girl's, I am in my fifties. :)

post-63954-1245591277_thumb.jpg

First bike was a tiger cub, lasted 2 weeks, next was royal enfield continental gt 250, looked great, blew it up twice, so after realising i had no mechanical sympathy i gave up bikes til 1970, then havent been without a bike since, but now i ride mainly off road, husqvarna 250wr and a wr400 yamaha for overland to cambodia,.last road bike was a hayabusa,very scary to ride at speed in thailand so its history,

I rode 2 stroke trail bikes in high school, but I dreamed of a real road bike. Once I graduated from college, I bought a new 1978 Honda 750F just as spoke-less wheels and dual disks were becoming the rage.

post-498-1245642201_thumb.jpg post-498-1245642221_thumb.jpg

The photo with the pack on the bike was taken just after being stopped for doing 95 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. Those were the days when you didn't get a ticket unless you talked back. (The cop had a 750K at home.) Interesting note.... My riding partner owned an 850 Commando so I got a lot of time on his. Was always impressed how that Norton could pull at any RPM.

Boneville 650TT was THE bike in the mid-60's - this was 60's northern California. Every bike-wise kid in my high school wanted one, and one kid had one.

Steve McQueen rode one in The Great Escape. BSA Goldstar wasn't bad, but when they came out with the Spitfire- what a cool bike.

bonnie650.jpg

Was feeling nostalgic yesterday when I went to a party with my mechanic and we started talking about what we wanted in high school, so I thought I would throw it out here. What was the bike you wanted when you were in high school? Me? FZR 600. Was the top dog of the 600's at the time (and the 1000's were big bikes). Also wanted a 1967 Pontiac GTO...but that's another story.

A freind of mines parents bought one for their family car LOL. What a machine. We burned the rear tires off that thing in a month.

first was a fissie followed by a 250/lc /Users/neil/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/17:12:2007_2/IMG_0359.JPG and now v max always loved my yamahashttp://www.thaivisa.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gifhttp://www.thaivisa.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

If you come from the UK and are old enough you may remember the 16'er law where 16 year olds were restricted to 50cc mopeds so most of us had Yamaha FS1E's. I liked the exotic so lusted after a Fantic GT which was quicker but more temperamental.

Getting past the moped stage my sensible head went for a Honda Superdream but like H2oDunc I lusted after the Benelli Sei.

Something about those Italians.

Hi.

For me it was the Zundapp KS 50 Supersport-TT. And i actually got pretty close some years later... owned a Watercooled-TT and a regular Watercooled :)

@mbox

Nice to see another Zundapp-fan here..... and i had a Puch, too, the Cobra 50/6-GTL in export version with 8.5 hp... what a rocket! Left the Zundapp's in the dust..... honest, no Harley, Hayabusa or whatnot can compensate for screaming down the Autobahn on an unrestricted 50cc at 13,500 rpm, doing true 125 km/h :D

Best regards....

Thanh

My schoolboy dream was also a BSA Gold Star, I had a 350 Royal Enfield Bullet 1951 model when i was 13, great for riding round our large orchard and harvested fields, my first road bike at 16 was a BSA C10L, 250 sidevalve, i think i pushed it more miles than i rode it,

My younger brother started off on a Yam fizzy, 50cc, Yamaha FS1E, and because of the smell it made, he called it his Fried Sausage 1 Egg bike!!

the nickname for the bike is also a kettle :D

Hi :)

No, "The Kettle" is a different beast - one that i'd very much like to ride today. The Suzuki GT 750, that is, 750cc two-stroke-triple just like the Kawa but water cooled (hence "The Kettle").

Best regards.....

Thanh

post-13387-1245804812_thumb.jpg

No, "The Kettle" is a different beast - one that i'd very much like to ride today. The Suzuki GT 750, that is, 750cc two-stroke-triple just like the Kawa but water cooled (hence "The Kettle").

Best regards.....

Thanh

your right ..they are making big money now check out these mad prices here http://www.classicmotorcycles.ie/

Best regards.....

Thanh

Those were called "Wasserbueffel" (waterbufallo) where i grew up.