Hit The Brakes

tpthai2

Hit the brakes!

By Juthamard Komin

The Nation

Published on June 19, 2009

Police get tough on drivers who ignore pedestrian crossings

Signs are going up at Bangkok pedestrian crossings as warnings to drivers of a new traffic regulation that will become effective on August 1. From that date, drivers who don't stop to let pedestrians cross the road will be slapped with a Bt500 fine if they are caught by police.

The signs have been put up as part of an initiative by City Hall and traffic police that aims to encourage pedestrians' confidence in the crossings by forcing motorists to respect them.

Respect for road users

Bangkok Traffic and Transport Department deputy director Jumpol Sampaopol said the initiative was aimed at reducing accidents mainly caused by pedestrians who cross the road without using a designated crossing point or footbridge.

"Drivers and pedestrians seem to have lost respect for each other recently. We want people to take that respect seriously. People must use pedestrian crossings or footbridges and drivers have to stop whenever they see someone wants to cross." :)

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/06/19

Edited by sbk

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh yes, I can see the new scam now, the BIB springing out in front of motorists on pedestrian crossings just so they can get some more tea money.....meanwhile @ the other end of town, foolish pedestrians are being killed by the minute....amazing thailand :)

Ahhh yes, I can see the new scam now, the BIB springing out in front of motorists on pedestrian crossings just so they can get some more tea money.....meanwhile @ the other end of town, foolish pedestrians are being killed by the minute....amazing thailand :)

Who are you kidding. This is all tea/lunch money as long as the police are in charge of enforcing these laws

"Drivers and pedestrians seem to have lost respect for each other recently."

Lost respect recently? Drivers have had zero respect for pedestrians in the two decades I've been coming to Thailand.

Edited by Phil Conners

Only thing I have seen able to use a pedestrian crossing is a dog. It walked along the footpath, sat at the light stand, waited for someone to press the button and then walked across the road. Everyone stopped. Dogs are much more important than people.

Only thing I have seen able to use a pedestrian crossing is a dog. It walked along the footpath, sat at the light stand, waited for someone to press the button and then walked across the road. Everyone stopped. Dogs are much more important than people.

H, I don't know about that. I have only ever seen so many poorly treated dogs in other asian countries, I certainly wouldnt want to be a dog here :)

H, I don't know about that. I have only ever seen so many poorly treated dogs in other asian countries, I certainly wouldnt want to be a dog here :)

This is ChiangMai...they love their pooches here.

I really hope it works, however, have you ever seen 2000 plus school children attempting to cross a road at the school gates?

A full contingency of Traffic Police on duty, yet, the drivers and motorcyclists still refuse to stop.

Edited by TEFLMike

City Hall must be really really bored.

This is total and utter rubbish.

Thai drivers consider pedestrians a little higher than the bacteria around the toilet bowl.

I could stand at a zebra crossing all day and not one driver will even consider for a nanosecond about actually stopping.

I could dance around on the side of the road in a Ronald Macdonald outfit with strawberry donut shoes and i still won't be noticed.

This will just not work, plain and simple.

Drivers here will not change, and yes, you can judge a nations civility by how it's drivers treat pedestrians!!!!!!!

Its a start in what may eventually become a automatic reflex and become standard behavior for drivers. If you pessimists have a better suggestion by all means lets hear it. No 50 calibers or RPG's are allowed in the hands of any BIB for enforcement purposes.

I am one of those people who stops at pedestrian crossings. I don't slam on the brakes if the traffic is moving very quickly, but if people are in the crosswalk, then I stop and let them go by. Traffic is usually moving slow enough that it's just a common courtesy.

I am not nearly so kind to those who are crossing in the middle of the street however.

"Drivers and pedestrians seem to have lost respect for each other recently."

Lost respect recently? Drivers have had zero respect for pedestrians in the two decades I've been coming to Thailand.

Police should also target pedestrians who don't use the zebra crossings also. Footbridges are more convinent but ppl can't be arsed using energy climbing up the steps. They'd rather run the gauntlet of the traffic below. I'd be real wary of being rear ended when stopping at a crossing here.

This Law will get no test from this old cowboy are anyone else with half a brain. More than likely there will more hit and run around the country, more drive don't even give a good hoot about the many driving laws in effect now, this one will be just one more to disobey :):D

I can't believe how cynical some people are!?! It's good to move in this direction but the culture, as it is, will be very difficult to change. I believe if Police wanted more "tea money" then they will be able to do something else...

If you have ever had to cross the road in China you would know that most of the time you have to wait for enough people, pick your moment and go go go! I am sure in many parts of Asia and possibly around the world.

It's good that they will be enforcing this, even if it's going to be blitzed and forgotten until the next blitz. Hopefully, the culture will change over time.