For The 1000cc Boys

neverdie

tail light is sweet. and by sweet I mean it reminds me of cheap (very, very cheap) jewelry on otherwise a lovely transvestite. Too bad the tail light has to be clear, BMW couldn't use that horrible M3 mustard green

That's a strange thing to say. I am not sure what to make of it. Enlighten me to your thoughts on the Ducati 988S and those that ride them? I'll check back tomorrow.

A+ for a very futuristic design. I think in the right colors it would look better. I don't think BMW is going for mass appeal. This bike was designed to be different and to get people taking about BMW super sport bikes. In this they will succeed. Can't wait to see it on the track.

Seems Beemer is getting reading to unleash a 1000cc superbike to tackle the GSXR's, R1's & zx10R.

Check out the technology in this baby:

http://www.thebikergene.com/sportsbikes/bm...r-2010-s1000rr/

Sweet link ND. The technology nowadays is staggering on bike. But out here in Thailand it'd be a nightmare to get one of them fixed up...

One for if I get my SAT ticket :)

BSJ, the tail light on this BM is a disaster. Could be on purpose, just to distract from those shark thingys

Ducati 988S, possibly the most beautiful bike in the world

9374-ducati-988s.jpg

people who ride them.. don't know anybody. But they are very cool, I'm sure of that. Every time this bike happens to pass by I always turn my head and put one hand in a pocket :)

Can't get over the idea of all that fly (ride) by wire technology on something with that kind of power to weight ratio that is mass produced. Have had a stuck throttle on a 250 2 stroke MX'er once (yes after laying it down, but back then did that often), but if just a single computer glitch might make you bleed bad. Maybe silly paranoia in this day and age, there's a good chance the next new car I buy may be loaded with such technology.

Can't get over the idea of all that fly (ride) by wire technology on something with that kind of power to weight ratio that is mass produced. Have had a stuck throttle on a 250 2 stroke MX'er once (yes after laying it down, but back then did that often), but if just a single computer glitch might make you bleed bad. Maybe silly paranoia in this day and age, there's a good chance the next new car I buy may be loaded with such technology.

Depends on the failsafes on board. If I designed this it would be made in a way that, say, the brakes were fully mechanical and would stop the bike no matter what the engine does. The clutch would have to be mechanical too for that to work.

I had a throttle stick once on a road bike and it happens (obviously) when you back off the throttle to deccel hence is a moment of pure panic..

Luckily for me I had a kill switch and my mind remembered that rather than only saw the ever increasing corner, the feeling was pure fear, shock etc tho.

I see its very common for Thais to junk the push on a push pull throttle linkage setup.. Thereby relying on purely carb springs etc.. Not a nice mod !!

A stuck throttle usually causes a little panic. Since when you back off a throttle is usually with intent to slow down. For a traffic light for instance. Or an object gotten in your path of direction, such as a car or another bike. Backing off only to realise that the engine is still gunning and thus accelerating is not a pleasant one to experience.

I tend to yank in the clutch and give the throttle a few twists to free it up. If that fails, then it the Kill Switch.

Close friend who has logged many hours in a CF-18 Hornets and flies incredible maneuvers tell of his scariest moments involving the smallest electronic glitch.

Yes no doubt BMW has thought out fail safes, but it's weird; a high performance vehicle always has been the pinnacle of mechanical engineering and not something with a microsoft sticker on it.

Edited by Fishenough

Even pickuptrucks come with drive by wire electric throttle now. Lesse expensive than a wire to the throttle, avoids vibration in throttle and less noise inside truck.

I m not thrilled about Honda bikes electrically engaged brakes though. Prefer them hydraulic only as a last safety option. Electric saves weight and money though.