Nsr Tzm

Hey. How old are the nsrs and tzms i see around. I believe the nsr was introduced in 97, but how much newer can they get.

I saw an nsr at a local motorcycle shop. The shop is nothing special and has all sorts of used bikes, but the nsr was priced at 31000 baht! thats a bit steep! Though it did look very clean and in great condition. It was a repsol edition and looked very nice, nicer than all the normal nsrs that you see, but id assume, like the cbr, the repsol edition is just more paint.

I also saw a TZM appearing in great condition for 13000 baht (not at the same shop), and many other nsrs/tzms for 7000,8000,9000, etc appearing a bit rusty. :)

I have heard people say the tzm is better than the nsr. The nsr has 39bhp, I read. The tzm must be similar.

Edited by lennya12threh

You have to keep in mind that with the NSR, it was a bike that has been out for a number of years, and there are different variants of the NSR. 31,000 baht is a bit high for an NSR. But which version of the NSR was it? The NSR SP is the last, and most advanced version of the NSR. This is the one with the 'pro-arm' rear swing arm (one sided rear suspension). This is actually a collector's bike because it is the last model NSR150 made. What's happening with these bikes is that they are collected and being shipped off to Australia, which has CC limits for beginners. So they are very popular, and getting rarer in Thailand, which is why they command a higher price than other versions. The next step down on NSR's is the NSR-RR. I believe it had the same engine and other major components than the NSR-SP, but had a regular rear swing arm.

This is a picture of my NSR-RR (which is now sold to another forum member):

compressednsrphoto.jpg

This is a picture of my Yamaha TZM

randompics009.jpg

I can tell you that between the bikes they both had similar performance. One was not more significantly fast than the other. The Honda engine on the NSR was smoother than the TZM in terms of feel. The TZM is a physically larger bike. It is about the size of a regular, big bike back in farangland, and on par with the Ninja 250 in terms of physical dimensions. If you are a big/tall guy, the TZM will probably be more comfortable for you. The NSR is a tiny bike.

In terms of price, get the best bike you can for the money. Any bike of this age will need repairs. And while you may be saving some money buying a cheap bike that has been thrashed, the fairings are expensive and it will cost you more to purchase replacement fairings and paint it, than you would have spent just buying a bike that was already done up.

• 2 years later...

That looks like one of my old bikes.

Just took a spin up Doi Suthep today on an NSR 150, difference is like night and day compared to a cbr 150. Quite nippy !

Think i'll rule out getting another cbr 150 or trying a cbr 250 for a while. Nothing like a 2 stroke screaming at 170 kph !

I forgot how much fun it is to ride a 2 stroke.

Edited by KRS1

Beautiful bikes.

Thanks for the info.

Im also seeing some nice looking krrs looking in great condition for 13-18k. Baht.

' A picture is worth a thousand words. '

Doh!

If you don't mind me asking, why are you reviving all these ancient threads?

I think the TZM is better. I am a bit biased because i own a 96 TZM. I am also 6'5" so i would look pretty funny on a tiny little NSR. As far as performance goes, the TZM is faster and more stable at high speeds. i weigh 95kg and have gotten mine up to 180kph (indicated NOT gps) although it is quite heavily modified. But i have heard the NSR is a bit more nimble in the twisties. I have ridden a few NSRs and they are nice bikes just not the same speed as a TZM.

And yes i agree, 2 strokes are more fun.

Edited by arnoldjr

TZM's are badass bikes ! But I prefer the dependability of the NSR, less headaches.

I had one bike that absolutely would not start if you parked it for more than 3 days, very stubborn bike I had.

I'd like to get another one and rebuild her from the ground up and give it another try.

Edited by KRS1

I've had my TZM for 1.5 years, blown it up twice and layed it down, replaced the clutch and completely rebuilt the engine it all for less than the price of the pipe on my Er6. Those things are like cheap little toys that are guaranteed to keep a smile on ur face the whole time you are riding.

Or a nightmare, I had another KRR-ZX 150 that had the cylinder replaced with an older model and the wrong piston when i bought it, they decided to turn down the autolube too. Sucker seized up in the middle of freaking nowhere, rice fields for as far as you could see.

KRS1 was not a happy camper, a mocyc taxi came driving by and pushed me with his foot to the nearest shop. I got baht raped by the mocyc of course since he knew i was screwed. I broke down on a cbr 150 twice though do to broken carb needles, so risk is just as much between the 2 style bikes, cbr 150's are newer thought! 2 strokes have less parts to break.

But after it was fixed with the proper cylinder and piston, those ZX 150's are also another really fun bike to ride. The growl from it sounded like a mad dog. I think those may be the plushest of all thai 2 strokes, they kinda sit upright too. If I call recall correctly they have a gear indicator, not that you need one, but its kinda cool to have.

Get any of the 125-150 two-stroke sportbikes. Just make sure it's straight, expat-owned, and with reasonable maintenance/parts records. My personal pref is the NSR, but these bikes have been completely aired-out in TV moto threads.

From what I've seen, in the last year, the NSR-SP's have been listing for BHT 25k minimum for a good, expat-owned (better likelihood of actual maintenance) example. And I'll say mine is completely stable at speed on the track even with the steering geometry quickened via raising the rear ride height.

For the price of entry, given LoS traffic dynamics & how tight the Thai tracks are, I can't imagine a better bang-for buck than one of the 125-150 Nipponese two-smokes. Get one and we'll se ya at the track!

• 1 month later...

Beautiful bikes.

Thanks for the info.

Im also seeing some nice looking krrs looking in great condition for 13-18k. Baht.

' A picture is worth a thousand words. '

Doh!

If you don't mind me asking, why are you reviving all these ancient threads?

Why not?

Get any of the 125-150 two-stroke sportbikes. Just make sure it's straight, expat-owned, and with reasonable maintenance/parts records. My personal pref is the NSR, but these bikes have been completely aired-out in TV moto threads.

From what I've seen, in the last year, the NSR-SP's have been listing for BHT 25k minimum for a good, expat-owned (better likelihood of actual maintenance) example. And I'll say mine is completely stable at speed on the track even with the steering geometry quickened via raising the rear ride height.

For the price of entry, given LoS traffic dynamics & how tight the Thai tracks are, I can't imagine a better bang-for buck than one of the 125-150 Nipponese two-smokes. Get one and we'll se ya at the track!

FYI I'm a road racer (RR) not a track racer (RS) and I used to run a '92 NSR150R when they were new, so thanks for the buying second-hand advice.

Honda Beat LS seems to be the bike of the moment for street racers - maybe they weren't thrashed as much because they were smaller or maybe they're just cheaper: Cheap is good.

A TZM would seem a bad ownership proposition: seems they've all died and gone to 'Big Jet' heaven.

So it's back to the Kawa ZX - if parts are still available (otherwise it would be a waste of 20k).

CBR150? A face that only a mother could love and a big old ugly ass too! Yo mama!

Well, at least they're all REAL motorcycles, not scooters - I can pass them on bumpy road on my bicycle!

I think you can't go wrong with an NSR if you buy it right as to price/condition factor. Only Kawa ZX i know of are 250 or bigger, and four stroke, so apples & oranges and different cost ballpark altogether. Haven't seen them for less than 100k. Is there a ZX two-smoke 125/150?

I just pulled the rubber snorkel off my NSR's airbox for a test run, and it livened the power band up a bit - which only makes sense, since the system lost a bottle neck and can breathe more freely now. Sounds more knarly as well, which is fun.

Next bottle neck is the stock exhaust. Anybody know where I might find a used or NOS chamber for a 98 NSR 150sp?

I think you can't go wrong with an NSR if you buy it right as to price/condition factor. Only Kawa ZX i know of are 250 or bigger, and four stroke, so apples & oranges and different cost ballpark altogether. Haven't seen them for less than 100k. Is there a ZX two-smoke 125/150?

I just pulled the rubber snorkel off my NSR's airbox for a test run, and it livened the power band up a bit - which only makes sense, since the system lost a bottle neck and can breathe more freely now. Sounds more knarly as well, which is fun.

Next bottle neck is the stock exhaust. Anybody know where I might find a used or NOS chamber for a 98 NSR 150sp?

You're never too old - I might get an NSR just to play around with that snorkel etc.

See attached photo for KAWA ZX15OSE

post-133770-0-16854100-1314244146_thumb.

Edited by GazR