New Elections If Mps Are Disqualified

thailandlover

Will we get new elections if some of the MP's currently being investigated get disqualified?

What do you foresee happening if there are new elections? More chaos, more fraud or valid elections?

Or something else?

This could turn out to be a major "can of worms" in the making. I've read everything I can on it, and from what I can figure out, they would have to hold new by-elections to replace many of the current MP's if they are disqualified. But here's something else to keep in mind.

While the Election Commission may find them in violation, it's the Constitution Court that has the final say so, and that could go either way. However, my belief is that if the E.C. finds them guilty, the C.C. will follow suit due to all the public outrage that's been displayed over the past few months about corruption in the government. I think that the members of the Constitution Court pretty much know that if they come back with "not guilty" verdicts, there would be a tremendous backlash from the general public, so if I were one of those MP's, I wouldn't be feeling real secure about my political future right now.

But, as was pointed out in one article this morning, it would take months to sort it all out before the Court could give it's decision, and there are any number of things that could happen between now and then.

The only positive that I can see in all of this is that it is spread across the board, and not aimed at just one party, so no one can claim any form of "political witch hunting". All we can do now is just wait and see.

The court has been appointed by the coup makers. The current government is the coup makers choice, and they had very hard time to make it look like a "democratically" elected government. If new elections are held today, they will bring the same result as the past 10 years.

IMO it will snow in Bangkok before we see the current pro-government MP (rightly) disqualified.

Will we get new elections if some of the MP's currently being investigated get disqualified?

In the case of Constituency MP's then yes, a new election must take place.

In the case of Party list MP's then there are 3 possibilities:

• The next candidate on the Party List takes the place
  • If the Party never stood in the 2007 election then there will be no replacement
  • If all 10 Party List candidates have been used then there will be no replacement

So if a Party List MP from one of the newer parties is disqualified then there will be no replacement and the house of representatives will consist of the remaining MP's.

In Region 8 of the Party List votes, 8 positions were taken up by members of the Democrat Party, so should three or more Party List MP's from this region be disqualified then replacements will only be for two of the positions, but that is on the provision that they are still qualified.