Today's Experience At Suan Plu

It is 40K not 45K for an extension based upon marriage.

A foreingner has the same rights and protection as a Thai when it comes to bank accunts.

All accounts are guranteed by the goverment

You need to get some sleep, Joe!!! :D

Thanks they are fixed now.

Forgot to put my glasses on. It could also be from reading all the nonsense in the two topics that are now running.

Told you I'd be back to annoy you!!!!! :)

Just wait. I might just get even. You know what they say about paybacks. :D

Not exactly on topic, but why do you suppose Immo requires the one-month wait "under consideration" when you use the marriage-extension route? What are they checking on that they don't need to with retirees?

They to check to see if you are living together as husband and wife. They are concerned about marriages of convenience is all that I can think of. Plus the application has is sent to the regional office for final appoval.

It is also to meet this requirement in the police order.

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto;

I am on my way to Surat Thani to get my stamp in my pass port after going through the process and they just needed the marriage certificate and money in the bank for two months. At least two months as I was four days short and had to get a two month extension.

RE: the "30 days under consideration"

Yes, as ubonjoe said, it is to verify the validity of the marriage but I think this should only be an issue for the first 2 or 3 applications in a row. Do they still verify the validity if you have been married for 15 years and have kids?

The word "logic" is apparently not in the IMM's vocab.

My guess is that there are internal rules that this type of extension can only be approved by the very higher-up ranks within IMM.

Story from the distant past when the consideration time was 45 days and the deposit amount was 250K:

The officer (Suan Plu) told us that IMM may check with the bank to confirm the funds remain available, this was confirmed by the bank that they did receive a request from IMM to this effect. Apparently this was done to find out people who loaned funds for the purpose of application and returned the loan as soon as the application had been filed.

opalhort

The 2 month rule for the first extension shows that immigration is thinking a bit...

Considering that a Non-Im O visa is only valid for 90 days... if you needed to have the money in for 3 months the forst time it would be impossible to file for extension of your first Non-Im O visa.

That is unless you have opened your Bank account and transfered the necessary funds before you arrived in Thailand??? :)

So this way you have a couple weeks to get here get your funds situated for your first extension. After the first year you should already have everything set up...

Had to sign a form in English that I acknowledge and understand that the minimum of 400K has to be in the account for at least 3 months on the date of application for extension.

Can you confirm that they wanted to see the money in bank for 3 months and not the 2 months stated in police order 777/2551.

YES I certainly can confirm this (from desk officer and a higher-up one at Suan Plu). The 2 months only applies to a first time application after that it has to be 3 months!

Because of that I ran into problems in April and had to opt for a short 60days 'visit Thai wife' extension. There is a topic about my experience then but right now I can't find it because TV deletes my subscriptions after 15 days of no activity.

Will search for it and post the link later.

opalhort