Annual Barbecue

happyvalleylady

location for party  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Thai Visa be having its annual barbecue in July? How does one find out more?

To be honest, the only forum that appears to organise successful regular members social evenings is Chiang Mai. The topics (almost bordering on the self flagellation ) of the Phuket branch of TV seem to be confined to opinionated comments, character assignations, self interested marketing, or distance learning.

Well done Chiang Mai.

Happeyvallleylady - I don't think it's necessarily held in July; just at some point in time during the second half of the year. If you want a TV sponsored event, you will need to get sufficient interest from the members and then broach the idea with Buckwheat (chef supremo) or George. The events are usually marketed as a 'thank you' to the members for their contributions to TV, so it wouldn't harm if your post count were just a fraction higher! :)

Its true, he has passed away, but Ping has the right idea. Rather, contact me or bamlb via PM if you are successful in garnering enough interest.

As you can see the Pattaya forum is successfully organizing one as we speak. Samui will hopefully be getting one soon. Difficult to find a venue there, apparently.

Sorry to hear about Buckwheat. My condolences to his family.

Good point about the social aspect, steelepulse, though it's probaly more to do with the fact that it always feels a bit awkward to try to squint at peoples' name tags while they're seated at a table.

Anyone have any thoughts for a venue? I'm happy to travel anywhere on the island, but I would like to see somewhere more central for a change (so that I can actually stay a while longer and enjoy a few more drinks). The past few ones have all been more to the south. How about good old Patong for a change? Faulty Towers would be one suitable venue, unless people want something a bit more upmarket.

Good point about the social aspect, steelepulse, though it's probaly more to do with the fact that it always feels a bit awkward to try to squint at peoples' name tags while they're seated at a table.

Anyone have any thoughts for a venue? I'm happy to travel anywhere on the island, but I would like to see somewhere more central for a change (so that I can actually stay a while longer and enjoy a few more drinks). The past few ones have all been more to the south. How about good old Patong for a change? Faulty Towers would be one suitable venue, unless people want something a bit more upmarket.

Ok here we go:

What about the Irish Pub in Jungceylon?

In the middle of Patong, easy parking and nice owner.

Gerd

Ok here we go:

What about the Irish Pub in Jungceylon?

In the middle of Patong, easy parking and nice owner.

Gerd

Not a bad idea. I like it.

I went to the first TV BBQ in Phuket when it was held at the Greenman and had a good time. Unfortunately i missed the next one at Rattri and then the one after at (i think it was Friendship Beach) because I was out of the country on those dates.

Hopfully I'll be around for the next one.

Must add my condolences to Buckwheat's family.

I have in 5 years only managed one TV BBQ, Tuskers, in Chiang Mai 3 summers back.

It would be great to be able attend another with my partner, who is also a TV member of a number of years.

One big problem, I am all booked up to arrive in LoS for month or more.

Will be on Phuket 30th October for my regular Loy Krathong visit for woteva time we like.

Gunna meet other TV members whilst there, so it would be great for me, if a TV BBQ was held around that time.

Sounds selfish, but I will only be in LoS about 6 weeks overall 90 days, all booked and paid for.

Que sera, sera.

Putting faces to niks was great, love to see you all sometime.

The OP has 2 posts and is asking about a free BBQ.

Pretty much sums up TV BBQs in Phuket.

All newbie free-loaders and bugger-all regulars.

Oh, the last one wasn't like that at all.

I had a great time and got to put names to lots of faces.

I didn't see anyone abusing the drinks or food and it was all friendly.

Got to meet George and Buckwheat (RIP), as well as many of the regulars on here. (even Don showed up from Don's Mall)

Perhaps some didn't come because their posts are too negative and they were afraid of some feedback??? That'd be my guess.

I'm looking forward to another one for sure.

I agree with Steelpulse that perhaps some kind of social game or introduction might help mix things up a bit.

^You're talking about the one at the Rattri (two years ago) - last year's one was at Friendship Beach. Not as many attenders as at Rattri, but a higher percentage of TV regulars (rather than newbies) due to the eligiblity rules that were put in place.

E: I like Gerd's idea of the Irish pub at Jungceylon. Good venue.

Edited by Ping

Two years ago! Blimey, where does the time go?

Glad to hear that some rules were put in place. I remember the thread for people to register their attendance for the Kata meet.

Seems that 90% of the people used their first post to register for free food and drink and that they would also be bringing a guest.

Will Thai Visa be having its annual barbecue in July? How does one find out more?

To be honest, the only forum that appears to organise successful regular members social evenings is Chiang Mai. The topics (almost bordering on the self flagellation ) of the Phuket branch of TV seem to be confined to opinionated comments, character assignations, self interested marketing, or distance learning.

Well done Chiang Mai.

Does anyone else find pagallim's post here ironic? Seems to be posting exactly what his post refers to, hilarious!

Irish Times? Is that a barbecue venue? I'm not knocking it at all, but a party in a mall.............(?). Here we live on an island paradise, I realize we are after a logistic that suits everyone, but a mall? No ocean view? No flaming barbecues? Irish food?

Lets think some more about the venue, I prefer the beach, maybe Macdonalds on the Patong beach road (ha, ha).

My wife and I attended the last two Thai Visa parties and enjoyed ourselves meeting some fellow posters, and enjoying the late/great Buckwheat’s ribs and of course, the free drinks. Our thanks to TV for hosting those events, and we’d sure like to see the tradition continue. I think Buckwheat had a lot do do with setting those up, so hopefully someone else can take over to keep it going.

I agree that it would be nice if some way of making it easier to meet fellow attendees could be arranged. Last year at the Friendship beach BBQ, Huggy Bear went up to the microphone and introduced himself to the group, but no one followed up to do the same. I guess I should have kept that ball rolling, and this year if there’s a party, I would follow him up to the mic for sure.

I noted Sportsman 69’s offer of help in organizing the next party. I’ve been to his tennis club in Rawai and it might be a nice place for the next one.

I was waiting for sportman to jump in as he does have a venue for such things. We could have some lawn bowling, pool and volleyball. Only down side is it's once again in the south for those that were looking for a more central location.

Edited by steelepulse

If we're voting for venues, I second the sports club

Perfect place for it

Still to the south though, I think also a great location but there are other's here that are asking for something more central.......as steelpulse mentions

Edited by huggybear

Well, if somebody can come up with a comparable or otherwise very suitable location more central.

I am keen for somewhere more central what about the brewery opposite Tesco on the express way????

If we planned it as sort of a day gig/early evening, would that still be a problem for the northern islanders? You can roll home early evening?

Sports Club seems perfect because then those with kids could let them run wild, some of us that play volleyball and tennis could get some (needed) exercise and it's open air venue, good for barbecue.

Lots of games for everyone. We can have some contests, I'm happy to put up some award/gifts.

Someone needs to bite the bullet and take responsibility for organising this, otherwise it's going to be a thread full of 'what abouts'. I would put my hand up, but I'm not back until late July (I'm happy to help with any arrangements when I get back). I'm also surprised that more interest hasn't been expressed, but I suppose people will jump on board when there is more finality to the arrangements.

Any volunteers?

E:T

Edited by Ping