Changing From A Thai Retirement Visa To A Business Visa

A friend already has a Non (O) Immigrant Visa who is living in Thailand as a retiree.

Now he wishes to change his visa to a Non (B) Immigrant Visa because he wants to open a small restaurant.

Rather than go through Immigration in Thailand who he feels will give him the third degree, my friend would prefer to travel to the nearest country outside of Thailand to apply for his business visa.

He is not interested in travelling as far as the UK or Australia to do this.

Can any members recommend what would be the best of Thailand’s neighbouring countries to do this without too much hassle? And does anyone have any experience of changing from a non immigrant (O) visa to a business visa outside of Thailand?

Before anyone asks, this enquiry is for a friend and not for myself.

Edited by sassienie

Is it a visa or an extension of stay that he has? If it's a visa then it would not be a problem to do it all here.

If he has an extension of stay he could go out and get a single entry non-o visa for being over 50 and get the company set up and then when he has a work permit he could then go out and get a multiple entry B visa in KL. He will not get an extension of stay based upon employment for about 2 years because the company will not have the tax and business records required by immigration.

To get a B visa now he would have to have a WP3 (work permit application receipt) which he cannot get if he is on a retirement extension.

A B visa is not requred to set up a company or get a work permit it only requires a non immigrant visa. It can be done with a non-o visa because it is also a non immigrant visa.

Thank you ubonjoe for the information, very much appreciate your kind help.

I am not completely sure of my friend`s status here, I have only posted what he asked me to say because he does not have a computer.

I will pass on to him a copy of your post.

Again thank you.