What Happened To Affordable Peanut Butter?

I have been buying peanut butter at the same health food store in Chiang Mai for many years, but prices on everything keep going up in leaps and bounds. I don't know whether Thais have sussed out that you can easily overcharge for this stuff or that it is getting way more expensive for some reason.

This last time, peanut butter containers were tiny - almost 50% smaller at the same price (115) - and she has done this before. I'm going to buy another brand. :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOW DO YOU KNOW THERE ARE TRANSFATS? IF THERE IS ONLY PEANUTS AND SALT IN THE PRODUCT YOU ARE SAYING PEANUTS NATURALLY HAVE TRANSFARS. THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

If the peanut butter jar does not have a pool of OIL on the top of it, it means they added something else to make it stick together. This will normally contain transfats. In the US they are allowed to lie on the jar saying no transfats when actually they are there but they are allowed to say that if its under a specified amount per tiny serving. Its a gimmick. Again, oil on top, you are sure there are no transfats.

Edited by Jingthing

In BKK, there is perfectly good hummus at a couple of different places, including the Lebanon House Restaurant on Suk Road at Soi 11, the branches of Beirut Restaurant in the Ploenchit and Silom areas, and various other places, including many around the area of Bumrungrad Hospital.

Food processors are easy to find here, in the Central Department Stores, HomePro and various other outlets. People have differing opinions as to what is good or not...

Thanks, JF. I was recently at Bumrungrad and noticed some streets with Lebanese and Arabic food... But I don't get to BKK often these days. Today, I discovered a Lebanese Restaurant, the Palace, on the 4th floor of the Central Festival Mall in Pattaya. Good hummus and tabouleh! The owner said that he gets his tahini in Bangkok in bulk from a private dealer.

And I found food processors at Central Department Store in the same mall!

Ready.... set...... starting fixing/cooking!!!!

It's nice to eat out sometimes....and let others do the cooking...

But it's also nice to fix it yourself at home...when you want it...the way you want it...

You forgot to ask about pita breads to accompany the hummus... Easily had here at Villa Markets...both the full size and very nice little mini pita versions....both at about half the price the restaurants charge for them.

Whenever I used to buy hummus at the restaurants, the guys there would always ask if I wanted to order pita bread as well..usually at about 40 baht for two pieces... I'd always say no thanks...and they'd always seem surprised... The Villa packs are like 33 baht for a package of 5 or 6 full size ones...

• 7 months later...

I've been meaning to get around to this for some time...but local political events have been sidetracking me...

Lately, staying at home perhaps a bit more, I've taken to making my own homemade peanut butter, and now am quite happy and satisfied with the result...

Recipe as follows:

Buying a 33 to 35 baht 450-500g bag of skin removed peanuts from places like Tesco or Big C.

Take home, spread out on oven pan, and cook for about one hour at about 125 C. Take out and stir, turn the peanuts a couple times during cooking to get even browning... (I was reading an article recently that said you don't want to cook the peanuts at higher temperatures, because doing so, while perhaps tasty, will tend to destroy the healthy ingredients within peanuts).

After letting the peanuts cool a bit, dump the whole lot into my electronic food processor... If I just add the peanuts only, they get chopped and blended, but never really get past a crumbly kind of ball texture.

(Don't want, and don't add, any salt in the preparation process).

So then with the food processor still running, thru the top hole, I start slowly adding a bit of rice bran oil, just enough until the peanuts begin to gain the texture of peanut butter. (I know I could use peanut oil, but rice bran oil is what we keep at home for cooking, so...) At that point, the mix pours out of the processor into a storage bowl quite nicely..

Put into the refrig, and within an hour or so, the whole mix has firmed up and no longer is a heavy liquid but rather a firm paste. Great for dipping and spreading. And I've noticed, even after storing for a week or more, the mixture doesn't separate but keeps its unified appearance.

Here's what it's looking like.

post-53787-1274113504_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1274113596_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1274113636_thumb.jpg

Total cost for a bowl full of PB, maybe about 45 baht... (being peanuts and a bit of oil only).

And, tastes GREAT!!!

Do you use tahini to make the hummus? Where can one find tahini? Or do you start with sesame seeds? Do you have a recipe for the hummus? So far I have not found any decent humus in Thailand.

While there certainly are other sources available, I noticed today that the Villa Market at Suk Soi 2 in the basement of the Ploenchit Center is carrying quite a good selection of various tahinis...

See the attached photos....

post-53787-1274163023_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1274163036_thumb.jpg

Villa (Pattaya anyway) now SOMETIMES carries a really excellent American organic brand of crunchy unsweetened peanut butter in a large container (and expensive). If they have it in stock, it is NOT with the other peanut butters ( :) that's nuts :D ) but closer to some other organic type items in a different section.

Jing, a lot of the chain markets here around BKK do the same thing, separating out products that they consider "organic" or "natural".

Sometimes the items are double stocked, meaning they're where you'd expect them to be based on the product. But sometimes they're not with the other similar products, but only stocked elsewhere along with unrelated other natural/organic foods.

And then sometimes, stuff also gets placed at end caps where you'd have no idea it would be, unless you go looking aisle by aisle..

The whole approach to product placement here strikes me as, forgive the pun, more than a bit nutty!

• 1 month later...

Hey PB lovers.......I thought about "ya'll" today when I saw a certain jar of a certain product at Villa Market on Sukhumvit Soi #11. What was it? Check out the image attached. There are....I think.....four varieties, including creamy / chunky with only peanuts and salt.....and creamy / chunky with peanuts, salt, and sugar. Price is higher than I recall was the case with the "Mission" brand that used to find its way onto shelves (at the grocery store.....and then in my condo). I haven't tried any of it yet.....but definitely wanted to get the picture posted here ASAP. Enjoy!

CHEERS!

D

post-30967-036272200 1276995891_thumb.jp

I agree with your sentiment, Jing... Too bad I'm too lazy an SOB here to try it... :)

The Mission jars were 375g and went for about 90 baht,

FYI, I did check out what another poster mentioned above, that being another "natural" brand available at the Food Hall at Central World. It likewise was pretty pricey...

Health Mate brand, small 200g jar, 69 baht

post-53787-1247049110_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1247049119_thumb.jpg

Regular size (510g) jars of Jif, 145 to 149 baht by comparison

(and the same priced at Foodland for 135 baht)

post-53787-1247049163_thumb.jpg

And Organic Waitrose brand, topping all in price, at 189 baht

post-53787-1247049205_thumb.jpg

Makros at Chiang Mai are still selling Jif, both Super Cruchy and Creamy, at 125 Baht

If I am not mistaken I believe "Mission" products have an agenda to convert poor desperate Thais to their brand of Christianity. Correct me if I am wrong.

If that is the case I would never buy it no matter how good and inexpensive it is. Charity for the poor should not be dependent on adhering to religious nut cases IMHO.

Nice, but surely unintended pun there....

In your words, "religious nut cases"....who manufacture peanut butter... :lol:

But seriously, I can swear...I bought and ate many jars of Mission peanut butter back when it was available on many local BKK grocery store shelves... And no one ever asked me to convert or otherwise take any religious position...

I did, however, once see the face of Jesus in the swirl of peanut butter when I opened a jar one time... But, I was very drunk at the time... ;)

Charity for the poor should not be dependent on adhering to religious nut cases IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's expensive, but the Arrowhead Mills (USA) crunchy organic PB available at Villa is really very excellent. Had some with French jam for dinner last night, ha ha. It's still kind of a mind f&%k to think of PB as a luxury food item. In the US of course PB is in the class of canned sardine sandwiches and ramen noodles as POVERTY cuisine.

In the US of course PB is in the class of canned sardine sandwiches and ramen noodles as POVERTY cuisine.

in CA back in the early 70s there were lost souls that lived on peanut butter...they couldn't cook and all had vitamin deficiencies...

'hey...an' ye know what they put on their salads in Indonesia?...'

'no...what do dey put on dey salads?...'

'peanut butter sauce, man...I seen 'em do it; dey drown dem in dat shit...'

(talkin' about gado2 and a 'Pulp Fiction' scenario...)

some folks useta put peanut butter on apples...gonna try that on my 7 y.o. niece tomorrow an' see what happens... :P

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 weeks later...
It seems to me this is a good business opportunity for someone to produce and distribute healthy peanut butter in Thailand now that Mission has dropped the ball. I would suggest focusing on TWO products. 100 percent peanuts. No added oil, sugar, or sweetener. Oil separated and floating on top in the jar. Zero trans fats. Crunchy or smooth. Priced well under the imports. There IS a market. BTW, Mission product was not that good anyway. Compare it to Trader Joe's natural peanut butter which is much better.

Seems to me that almost everything at Trader Joe's is better (and cheaper).

useta go to trader joe's in Pasadena, CA to buy beer when we were underage... :)

there was a popular brand about 25 years ago in the US that was the real item; the oil separated on top and the jar had to be stirred before using.. The label said 'just peanuts and salt!' Anyone remember it?

Never could get good peanut butter in Canada which was a shame as they had wonderful bread: a bakery on every street corner in Vancouver, seems like. The PB was this homogenized shit that looked like lard...

I gotta good peanut butter story: I was hitchiking on an onramp with sum other bums near Seattle (just standing there, actually; hitchiking useta be illegal in Washington state) and a guy approached with a jar of Skippy and a loaf of wonderbread and proceeded to silently prepare sandwiches and hand them around...he then left as suddenly as he appeared...

Yes I remember the brand in the US that said just peanuts and salt. I have eaten it all my life. Still do. Every time I go to the US I bring a jar back with me, Laura Scudder Peanut Butter.

post-44146-004153400 1279394043_thumb.jppost-44146-099424500 1279393331_thumb.gi

Edited by Jimi007

Better yet...make it yourself....

Ingredients.... 1 450g bag of skinned peanuts from Tesco for about 30 baht... Bake on low temp in oven until nicely browned. Add to food processor with a bit of oil of your choice, and presto... Home made all natural peanut butter...and quite good tasting, if I don't say so myself. :D

It seems to me this is a good business opportunity for someone to produce and distribute healthy peanut butter in Thailand now that Mission has dropped the ball. I would suggest focusing on TWO products. 100 percent peanuts. No added oil, sugar, or sweetener. Oil separated and floating on top in the jar. Zero trans fats. Crunchy or smooth. Priced well under the imports. There IS a market. BTW, Mission product was not that good anyway. Compare it to Trader Joe's natural peanut butter which is much better.

Seems to me that almost everything at Trader Joe's is better (and cheaper).

useta go to trader joe's in Pasadena, CA to buy beer when we were underage... :)

there was a popular brand about 25 years ago in the US that was the real item; the oil separated on top and the jar had to be stirred before using.. The label said 'just peanuts and salt!' Anyone remember it?

Never could get good peanut butter in Canada which was a shame as they had wonderful bread: a bakery on every street corner in Vancouver, seems like. The PB was this homogenized shit that looked like lard...

I gotta good peanut butter story: I was hitchiking on an onramp with sum other bums near Seattle (just standing there, actually; hitchiking useta be illegal in Washington state) and a guy approached with a jar of Skippy and a loaf of wonderbread and proceeded to silently prepare sandwiches and hand them around...he then left as suddenly as he appeared...

Yes I remember the brand in the US that said just peanuts and salt. I have eaten it all my life. Still do. Every time I go to the US I bring a jar back with me, Laura Scudder Peanut Butter.

post-44146-004153400 1279394043_thumb.jppost-44146-099424500 1279393331_thumb.gi

that's it! the best stuff as ye had to stir it before spreading it as it had all separated...

the jar has the same shape after 25 years!...oh, boo hoo a homesickness attack... :wub:

that's it! the best stuff as ye had to stir it before spreading it as it had all separated...

the jar has the same shape after 25 years!...oh, boo hoo a homesickness attack... :wub:

LOL! I knew that was what you were talking about! I grew up on the stuff! I've been eating it for at least 50 years. Laura Schudder's crunchy peanut butter on toast with sliced banana. I'll have to have one again soon! I may try to make some peanut butter here as others have done. I know it's not hard. But I can't stand sugar in my peanut butter or shortening. I'm spoiled by the real stuff I grew up on!

Edited by Jimi007

In my food processor, the roasted peanuts never quite seem to get to "butter" consistency without a little bit of vegetable oil added.

But I start with unsalted peanuts, never add any salt or sugar.... And as I said, just a little bit of veg oil to help with the butter consistency.... And nothing ever separates out.... it stays a thick paste indefinitely....

Better yet...make it yourself....

Ingredients.... 1 450g bag of skinned peanuts from Tesco for about 30 baht... Bake on low temp in oven until nicely browned. Add to food processor with a bit of oil of your choice, and presto... Home made all natural peanut butter...and quite good tasting, if I don't say so myself. :D

Now that sounds interesting! I must try it and let you know how I get on!

• 9 months later...

Just a couple updates on this....

1. Now, as a veteran homemade peanut butter blender, I find that I can make my PB at home in the electric food processor ENTIRELY with roasted peanuts and adding absolutely nothing... The trick, to avoid needing any added oil, was to shake and tilt the food processor some during blending to keep the ingredient inside moving around... instead of getting caught up in a stationary ball... By doing so, and continuing to let the blender run, the peanuts do blend down into a very good consistency, thick butter type spread... I keep it in the refrig... only do about 500g at a time, and the batch rarely lasts a week before it's time to make more...

2. But, for those without access to an electric food processor, I happened to be at Bangkok Adventist Hospital today... and of course, my thoughts turned to PEANUT BUTTER... Why? you may ask? Because, Bangkok Adventist is also known as MISSION Hospital, of the same MISSION as the late loved MISSION peanut butter brand no longer sold in commercial groceries stores hereabouts...

However, remembering a brief mention from this thread, I noticed that the hospital has a small grocery/health foods store on-site, and went inside to browse around. And sure enough, I found them stocking two 500g varieties of Mission peanut butter in what look like homemade style plastic containers... one with sugar added, and one without sugar added. I picked up one of the no sugar PBs for 110 baht for the 500g size... The packages had expire dates 4 months from the date of manufacture. And the shop lady said it didn't need to be refrigerated...though I'll keep mine in the frig.

The Mission product, from the outside, looks nothing like the version previously sold in the grocery stores... though I'm assuming the actual PB inside will be much better than most of the commercial varieties still being sold around here...

Though, certainly not better than my own variety made at home... B)

post-53787-0-83281000-1304603290_thumb.j