What Happened To Affordable Peanut Butter?

That looks absolutely delicious... maybe you need to add that to your product line :)

Y'know, as I was tasting it for the first time....the thought did cross my mind. :D

I even said something to my wife to that effect.... heheh.

Great idea! You can count on us Udonites to be happy customers.

One of Elvis's favorite sandwiches:

http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recip...ain_pbsand.html

Elvis Presley's Grilled Peanut Butter

and Banana Sandwich

• 2 slices of white bread
  • 2 tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
  • 1 small ripe banana mashed
  • 2 tablespoons butter

Spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread and the mashed banana on the other. Press the slices gently together. Melt the butter (or to be truly Elvis-like, melt bacon fat!), over low heat in a small frying pan. Place the sandwich in the pan and fry until golden brown on both sides. Eat it with a glass of buttermilk. Please note: Elvis tended to eat 12-15 sandwiches a sitting! So belly up!

I usually thinly slice the bananas lengthwise, gently brown the slices in butter, then put them inside the sandwich and grill as directed above. I also like to use whole wheat bread instead of the white.

Actually, I do like a PB & banana sandwich, but haven't imagined the same in a "melt" preparation.

Belly up, indeed. LOL. No wonder "The King's" waistline expanded as he got older!!

Well, to update, after chilling my homemade peanut butter, it didn't quite stiffen up as much as I anticipated. The recipe I used was from a website, where the patrons rated it 5-star. This, after searching several recipes, many of which just didn't look quite right. Still, the end result was a nicely spreadable PB with great flavor. I may try it with only 3-Tb peanut oil next time, and see if I prefer it that way, or if it destroys my bread when I try to spread it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks absolutely delicious... maybe you need to add that to your product line :D

Y'know, as I was tasting it for the first time....the thought did cross my mind. :D

I even said something to my wife to that effect.... heheh.

You can use the same type of jars as your pasta sauce! :D

Just don't name it Nana this time okay?

"(Soi) Nana's Creamy Nuts" :)

Tutsi, when I was back in USA, I used to make my own hummus, back in a time when it wasn't readily available in local markets. Then later, Trader Joe's markets began stocking about 1/2 dozen different very good varieties, and so I stopped making my own and began just buying theirs to save time/effort.

When I first moved here to BKK, I left my electric food processors behind. But on my last trip back, I retrieved both of them to bring here. Since then, one of the first things I've used them for is back to making my own hummus...even though it's not difficult to buy it here from places like Lebanon restaurant.

I have a small two cup unit, along with a much larger one. Discovered the smaller one works great... Just buy one 16 oz. can of S&W garbanzos (available from Villa Markets and elsewhere), drain and add to mixer. Season with extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder and lemon or lime juice to taste. And whir that puppy....

I know I could add tahini... But it's a bit harder to find here and not cheap... So I've found I like my homemade hummus without it, and it's probably a bit healthier too.

The other day, I tried the same recipe with a bag of dried garbanzos that I cooked and soaked in my electronic rice cooker. They were cheaper to buy...about 55 baht for a 16 oz bag of dried beans... but they took hours to soak and cook, and then I ended up having to separate out all the translucent skins that came off the cooked beans. Having tried that approach, just for ease and portion control, I'll stick with the canned ones.

Originally, I found a bottle of non-refrigerated lemon juice from Australia in Villa, I think, and that worked fine. Lately, I couldn't find that again, so I bought a bottle of 100% lime juice instead. And it does taste a bit different, but within acceptable limits.

I was planning to buy one as I have other recipies in mind as well like hoummus and baba ganoush (made with tahina hand carried from the Middle East, substitute limes for the lemons, etc.)
Edited by jfchandler

well, seems a little more patience and my peanut butter firmed up just right.

Took about 15 hours to fully develop the texture. Interesting.

So, it seems the recipe and proportions I used were pretty good after all.

See the pic below... taken after 24-hours in the fridge...it firmed up quite nicely, yet still remains nicely spreadable. Note the almost liquid like flow of the peanut butter around the scooped area, as when it went into the tub it was still warm and semi-liquid. But as you can see within the scoop, it is now firm but not too stiff, so I can spread it on bread without tearing the bread apart.

And I must say, the flavor is levels above the store-bought brands. Quite a striking difference - so much more robust and "peanutty".

What's more, it doesn't show any signs of separation... as of yet, anyway.

post-62785-1246597509_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChefHeat

On the food processor question, for making peanut butter, the hand-held Bamix works quite fine.  It runs at 150 W.

I have also made peanut butter with a Vita-Mix, which is perhaps the best quality production blender available, but I don't have one here in Thailand.  The price for a 220 V one jumped from $400 to $800, so I demurred. 

What's more, it doesn't show any signs of separation... as of yet, anyway.

It will not seperate if kept refrigerated and it always should be after being made or opening a jar as some kind of cancer causing mold that you can not see, or taste will inhabit it otherwise.

http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?showtopic=206604

From Snopes:

Comment: I recently heard that peanut butter causes cancer. I did a quick Google

search and it seems that peanuts (along with corn and other common foods)

grow in a mould that is carinogenic. Is it possible to comment on this

one? It does seem that there is an element of truth to this, but people

seem to be swearing off peanut butter forever, and it seems a bit

hysterical.

icon1.gif 01 September, 2006 11:29 PM01. September 2006 11:29 PM

Not really. Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus are aflatoxins that grow on corn and peanuts when certain conditions exist (generally, a hot, dry growing season followed by a wet harvesting season, IIRC), which can be carcinogenic and toxic in large amounts. But peanut butter is not carcinogenic.

Another site from Africa, where peanuts are a major part of their diet, mentions that the biggest problem is with improper storage in damp conditions.

Well, I don't eat enough peanut butter or peanuts to worry about it. I get a hankering for peanut butter once in a while, but probably go through about 3 jars in a year. Mostly I use it in cooking.... as in the peanut butter & banana pie I got plans for... and on rare occasions, African food.

Since we're scaring everybody, did you know many jellies and jams could contain mercury??

So a PB&J sandwich could potentially be double-deadly.

A jelly could be suspect if it has "high fructose corn syrup" (HFCS) in the ingredients (fortunately, it appears Tesco brand does not). Actually, not just jelly, but anything with HFCS. HFCS is made using mercury in part of the extraction process, and so left behind are measurable amounts of mercury, more in certain brands than others.

Look that up.

Now I am gonna have myself a delicious homemade-PB & J sandwich.

Edited by ChefHeat

Tutsi, when I was back in USA, I used to make my own hummus, back in a time when it wasn't readily available in local markets. Then later, Trader Joe's markets began stocking about 1/2 dozen different very good varieties, and so I stopped making my own and began just buying theirs to save time/effort.

When I first moved here to BKK, I left my electric food processors behind. But on my last trip back, I retrieved both of them to bring here. Since then, one of the first things I've used them for is back to making my own hummus...even though it's not difficult to buy it here from places like Lebanon restaurant.

I have a small two cup unit, along with a much larger one. Discovered the smaller one works great... Just buy one 16 oz. can of S&W garbanzos (available from Villa Markets and elsewhere), drain and add to mixer. Season with extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder and lemon or lime juice to taste. And whir that puppy....

I know I could add tahini... But it's a bit harder to find here and not cheap... So I've found I like my homemade hummus without it, and it's probably a bit healthier too.

The other day, I tried the same recipe with a bag of dried garbanzos that I cooked and soaked in my electronic rice cooker. They were cheaper to buy...about 55 baht for a 16 oz bag of dried beans... but they took hours to soak and cook, and then I ended up having to separate out all the translucent skins that came off the cooked beans. Having tried that approach, just for ease and portion control, I'll stick with the canned ones.

Originally, I found a bottle of non-refrigerated lemon juice from Australia in Villa, I think, and that worked fine. Lately, I couldn't find that again, so I bought a bottle of 100% lime juice instead. And it does taste a bit different, but within acceptable limits.

I was planning to buy one as I have other recipies in mind as well like hoummus and baba ganoush (made with tahina hand carried from the Middle East, substitute limes for the lemons, etc.)

yeah...what us expats suffer from is lack of proper equipment as well as lack of ingredients...I wanna pick up a good food processor here in the middle east...I did the same with a meat grinder: can't use beef bought in supermarkets around here - too tough but tastes good when ground up inna meat loaf or in a pasta sauce. I broought a high power unit out from from Bahrain a few years ago...

I sure would like to make peanut butter as a project with my little niece so she can see that there are no limitations to what one can produce... :)

I have also wondered what happened to this brand of peanut butter, and stumbled across this thread the other day....... As I speak reasonable Thai, I thought I would ring up and see if I could some more info about what happened? and options to continue being able to buy this stuff (if any). As it turns out, at least one of the staff there speaks reasonable English, and I was given the following information:

1. Mission brand peanut butter has indeed been withdrawn from sale in supermarkets - the reason given that the company can no longer distribute the product cost efficiently throughout Bangkok from its factory at Pathumthani. In March they had to shut their sales office in Bangkok which previously handled this. They used to sell a local brand of milk powder (Mission Brand) which they stopped producing in 2008 following the huge increase in the cost of raw materials (the selling price is apparently capped by the government here) making it no longer viable.

2. They are still producing peanut butter for many other food manufacturers in bulk volumes, but can no longer make it available in the supermarkets as a consumer product.

3. All peanuts used by Mission are tested for aflatoxin levels by both the peanut supplier and Mission quality control (I forgot to ask what levels are unacceptable)

4. Remaining retail stock will be sold through the BACS school off Sukhumvit Soi 71. They sent me a map to this place here http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...1a86284293dcd24 I was told a box of 6 (six) jars will cost 250 baht. The product is not expired product, mostly product in stock at either supermarket or factory when the product was removed from shelves.

5. To ensure that the variant you want is available at the stall, you can contact Mission a few days in advance and they can organise it to be sent to the stall with your name on it. The person I spoke to was Khun Thanapol (his English is ok) and you can reach them on (02) 598 3812, or fax (02) 598 3814, or email [email protected]

6. Mission may consider selling product from its bulk production runs at this stall if there are people that would like to buy/order it. This will most likely be in catering pack form (thick plastic pouch around 1kg) though and limited to one or two variants only - the ones they make for the other food factories. They said this is because they have to import the retail jars and will no longer have reason to do so.

7. The product will NOT be sold at Ekkamai International School as I think was mentioned here earlier. Apparently these two schools are often mixed up as they are very close and operated by the same crowd

8. K Thanapol said they recently had technical troubles receiving any email, and they would have responded to any enquiries, it seems they probably did not receive the email mentioned earlier.

Crikey that was a mouthful. Anyway hope that helps a little for those wanting to know. Please contact Mission for any further enquiries (not me!!)

Cheers

Juggs

Thanks for the great...and very informative... post....

Given their explanation, it makes me wonder.... How hard can it be to hire a guy with a truck...and make the rounds to the supermarkets periodically to drop off a few cases....

Distributing peanut butter jars can't be that costly or complicated..... :)

Given their explanation, it makes me wonder.... How hard can it be to hire a guy with a truck...and make the rounds to the supermarkets periodically to drop off a few cases....

Distributing peanut butter jars can't be that costly or complicated..... :)

Remember, where we are... TIT.

It seems to me this is a good business opportunity for someone to produce and distribute healthy peanut butter in Thailand now that Mission has dropped the ball. I would suggest focusing on TWO products. 100 percent peanuts. No added oil, sugar, or sweetener. Oil separated and floating on top in the jar. Zero trans fats. Crunchy or smooth. Priced well under the imports. There IS a market. BTW, Mission product was not that good anyway. Compare it to Trader Joe's natural peanut butter which is much better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundaynitedinner/2382492539/

Edited by Jingthing

It seems to me this is a good business opportunity for someone to produce and distribute healthy peanut butter in Thailand now that Mission has dropped the ball. I would suggest focusing on TWO products. 100 percent peanuts. No added oil, sugar, or sweetener. Oil separated and floating on top in the jar. Zero trans fats. Crunchy or smooth. Priced well under the imports. There IS a market. BTW, Mission product was not that good anyway. Compare it to Trader Joe's natural peanut butter which is much better.

Seems to me that almost everything at Trader Joe's is better (and cheaper).

OK, all you would be entrepreneurs...the ball is in your court.

Forget about opening another bar or yet another mediocre farang restaurant.

2009! The year of locally produced peanut butter!

Seems to me that almost everything at Trader Joe's is better (and cheaper).

useta go to trader joe's in Pasadena, CA to buy beer when we were underage... :)

there was a popular brand about 25 years ago in the US that was the real item; the oil separated on top and the jar had to be stirred before using.. The label said 'just peanuts and salt!' Anyone remember it?

Never could get good peanut butter in Canada which was a shame as they had wonderful bread: a bakery on every street corner in Vancouver, seems like. The PB was this homogenized shit that looked like lard...

I gotta good peanut butter story: I was hitchiking on an onramp with sum other bums near Seattle (just standing there, actually; hitchiking useta be illegal in Washington state) and a guy approached with a jar of Skippy and a loaf of wonderbread and proceeded to silently prepare sandwiches and hand them around...he then left as suddenly as he appeared...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I haven't read the whole thread, but for what its worth I just bought a small jar of Healthy Mate unsweetened extra crunchy with the oil at the top and the ingredients listing only peanuts and sea salt. The label is 100% in english although its manufactured in Thailand. The nutritional information looks like it was designed to comply with USA FDA regulations.

About 70 baht at Tops under Central Chidlom.

I agree with your sentiment, Jing... Too bad I'm too lazy an SOB here to try it... :)

The Mission jars were 375g and went for about 90 baht,

FYI, I did check out what another poster mentioned above, that being another "natural" brand available at the Food Hall at Central World. It likewise was pretty pricey...

Health Mate brand, small 200g jar, 69 baht

post-53787-1247049110_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1247049119_thumb.jpg

Regular size (510g) jars of Jif, 145 to 149 baht by comparison

(and the same priced at Foodland for 135 baht)

post-53787-1247049163_thumb.jpg

And Organic Waitrose brand, topping all in price, at 189 baht

post-53787-1247049205_thumb.jpg

For all you gents out there trying to replicate the natural peanut butters of your youth -- or that of Mission brand imported from Australia by the 7th Day Adventists -- you should consider the quality of the peanuts grown in Thailand or lack thereof:

There are three main peanut market types grown in Australia (courtesy the Peanut Company of Australia):

Virginia types are the main type grown in Australian dryland areas. They are long (occasionally medium) season, have a high calcium requirement and are high yielding in most situations. The larger kernels from the Virginia type are used in the snack-food trade (e.g. beer nuts).

Runner types have a smaller kernel compared to Virginia types and often have a flatter bush. They are long (occasionally medium) season and generally respond well to irrigation. Runner kernels are mainly used for confectionery (e.g. chocolate, muesli bars) and manufacturing (e.g. peanut butter).

Spanish types are quicker to mature and may therefore be able to escape drought. Most have an erect bush and are easier to pull on heavier soils, because the pods cluster tightly around the taproot with strong pegs. They can tolerate slightly more acid soils than the other types. However, they are not as high yielding as the Virginia or runner types in good conditions and are more prone to pod splitting when the soil remains wet. Spanish kernels are mainly used for confectionery and manufacturing. Prices are usually not as high as for Virginia or runner types.

4.5.1 Peanut Line and Varieties (courtesy University of Georgia, 2003)

Type and accession of peanuts genetically determines yield, the resistance to insects, disease and aflatoxin and the percentage of threshed seeds. Spanish type is the traditional accession that has been popular among Thai farmers since it requires less fertile land as compared to the Valencia type

(note:the Valencia peanut variety has a very bright red skin and small kernels. This variety is very sweet and is sold roasted in the shell. These peanuts make excellent boiled peanuts when cooked fresh. Valencia peanuts are primarily grown in the USA in New Mexico.)

So if there is or is to be a high-quality peanut butter made in Thailand, imported peanuts are probably involved.

OK, here is the homemade-PB and Banana pie with dark chocolate curls I said I was going to make.

Graham cracker crust, fresh bananas sliced into the bottom, covered with PB pudding, and topped with Ghirardelli dark chocolate curls.

The PB pudding/filling didn't come out as firm as I would have liked, but it sure is delicious just the same.

post-62785-1247230362_thumb.jpg

For all you gents out there trying to replicate the natural peanut butters of your youth -- or that of Mission brand imported from Australia by the 7th Day Adventists -- you should consider the quality of the peanuts grown in Thailand or lack thereof:

There are three main peanut market types grown in Australia (courtesy the Peanut Company of Australia):

Virginia types are the main type grown in Australian dryland areas. They are long (occasionally medium) season, have a high calcium requirement and are high yielding in most situations. The larger kernels from the Virginia type are used in the snack-food trade (e.g. beer nuts).

Runner types have a smaller kernel compared to Virginia types and often have a flatter bush. They are long (occasionally medium) season and generally respond well to irrigation. Runner kernels are mainly used for confectionery (e.g. chocolate, muesli bars) and manufacturing (e.g. peanut butter).

Spanish types are quicker to mature and may therefore be able to escape drought. Most have an erect bush and are easier to pull on heavier soils, because the pods cluster tightly around the taproot with strong pegs. They can tolerate slightly more acid soils than the other types. However, they are not as high yielding as the Virginia or runner types in good conditions and are more prone to pod splitting when the soil remains wet. Spanish kernels are mainly used for confectionery and manufacturing. Prices are usually not as high as for Virginia or runner types.

4.5.1 Peanut Line and Varieties (courtesy University of Georgia, 2003)

Type and accession of peanuts genetically determines yield, the resistance to insects, disease and aflatoxin and the percentage of threshed seeds. Spanish type is the traditional accession that has been popular among Thai farmers since it requires less fertile land as compared to the Valencia type

(note:the Valencia peanut variety has a very bright red skin and small kernels. This variety is very sweet and is sold roasted in the shell. These peanuts make excellent boiled peanuts when cooked fresh. Valencia peanuts are primarily grown in the USA in New Mexico.)

So if there is or is to be a high-quality peanut butter made in Thailand, imported peanuts are probably involved.

My favourite peanuts are the small, roasted, unsalted type that many somtam vendors use. Most somtam vendors will sell bags of the peanuts separately, small amounts on the spot or larger amounts with advance notice, very cheap. If I had a nutgrinder or food processor, I'd try making peanut butter with these, as I prefer these peanuts over any imported peanuts I've tried. I assume they're grown in Thailand.

I noticed the other day that Villa Market (Suk Soi 11) is now stocking the small jars of the HealthMate brand natural peanut butter I showed above. Price is 59 baht.

At least at the Soi 11 store, they've just stocked a few jars and placed a very small display of them on the top corner shelf where the rest of their peanut butter and related products are located.

• 1 month later...

At your suggestion, Kuhn Sabajai, I have started buying the domestic roasted (small) Spanish peanuts-halves sold in the markets (35 Baht per half kilo) ... they are the peanuts used buy somtam makers and, when ground up, the condiment next to the vinegar and sugar, etc. at a sidewalk noodle shop. Very tasty. However, if these peanuts alone were used to make peanut butter, they would not match the taste of the multi-variety roasted peanut blends used to make fresh or jarred natural peanut butters in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...

Friendship in Pattaya has always stocked Mission. I haven't checked in the last few months though. It is a decent brand but be advised there are transfats in it.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THERE ARE TRANSFATS? IF THERE IS ONLY PEANUTS AND SALT IN THE PRODUCT YOU ARE SAYING PEANUTS NATURALLY HAVE TRANSFARS. THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

• 3 weeks later...

>On my recent trip back to the U.S., I brought back my own large and small sized electric food processors, now suitably installed here at home.

>In the week since I've been back to BKK, I've already been using them to make my own homemade hummus dip, which is healthy and tastes great, instead of buying it from a local restaurant.

>Substitute peanuts for garbanzo beans, and voila... peanut butter.

JF: Do you use tahini to make the hummus? Where can one find tahini? Or do you start with sesame seeds? Do you have a recipe for the hummus? So far I have not found any decent humus in Thailand. Another question: Can one purchase a decent food processor here?

Another poster said that there is a health food store in Chiang Mai. Anyone know of such a store in Pattaya? In Bangkok?

>On my recent trip back to the U.S., I brought back my own large and small sized electric food processors, now suitably installed here at home.

>In the week since I've been back to BKK, I've already been using them to make my own homemade hummus dip, which is healthy and tastes great, instead of buying it from a local restaurant.

>Substitute peanuts for garbanzo beans, and voila... peanut butter.

JF: Do you use tahini to make the hummus? Where can one find tahini? Or do you start with sesame seeds? Do you have a recipe for the hummus? So far I have not found any decent humus in Thailand. Another question: Can one purchase a decent food processor here?

Another poster said that there is a health food store in Chiang Mai. Anyone know of such a store in Pattaya? In Bangkok?

Oops: I wrote the post above before I read pages 2, 3 and 4 of the thread. Silly me. Most of my questions were answered, buyt not the one about health food stores in OPattaya or Bangkok....

• 2 weeks later...

Dgarmaise, depends on where you are located...

There certainly is tahini to be found/bought around BKK...though it's hardly common...

I have a simple recipe for healthy hummus that I like to use in the processor...easy and quick:

1 15 oz can of S&W garbanzos...purchased from Villa 69 baht

Drain out almost all of the liquid, and add the beans and a little remaining liquid to the processor.

Add lemon or lime juice to taste, usually a couple tablespoons.

a good sprinkle of ground garlic powder or your own fresh version

And a good pour of virgin olive oil to taste (500 ml bottle from Tesco for about 190 baht)

And zap it from there.

In BKK, there is perfectly good hummus at a couple of different places, including the Lebanon House Restaurant on Suk Road at Soi 11, the branches of Beirut Restaurant in the Ploenchit and Silom areas, and various other places, including many around the area of Bumrungrad Hospital.

Food processors are easy to find here, in the Central Department Stores, HomePro and various other outlets. People have differing opinions as to what is good or not...

There are various outlets for healthy foods in BKK, though I haven't found one that covers all of the bases of things a person might want. For example, there's a store in the Asoke area that stocks a variety of gluten free foods, more than any other single place I've found in Thailand. If you're looking for some particular kind of health food, mention it... and I'll see if I can offer any suggestions.