What Happened To Affordable Peanut Butter?

For all the years I've lived here, I've regularly bought a Thai brand of peanut butter called Mission, I believe, and easily and regularly found it in all the stores I frequent, including Villa and Foodland Markets. Usually had four different styles, creamy, crunchy, salted and no salt. Never seen them out of stock before, ever.

Now, the last couple weeks, the Mission brand seems to have disappeared from the store shelves entirely... Not just out of stock, but not even any empty place on the store shelves where it used to be. Mission brand used to sell for about 80 or 90 baht per jar.

Now, all I'm seeing on the store shelves are the much more expensive Jif and Skippy brands. Foodland had Jif jars the other day for 135 baht... Skippy was even higher...

I want my Mission back... <deleted> happened??? :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you considered asking the store managers? Not the staff...the managers.

Also, Villa has a website, and they do answer e-mail inquiries.

Also, you could telephone Foodland and Villa's corporate headquarters.

I'll be interested in your results. I'd like to see some affordable Peanut Butter here in Udon.

I've never seen the Mission Brand, not during my six years in Pattaya, nor my three years here in Udon. Do you have an old jar of it, perhaps the company's contact details are on it?

How does Mission compare with the American brands?

Edited by maxjay

Thanks Jing.... The Mission web site has a "Contact Us" link... So I wrote to them today, asking... Where has your peanut butter gone??? Awaiting their reply.... :)

Here in Phuket I have been buying 'Mission' brand Peanut Butter from the local 'Mission Hospital'. I just assumed that it was an in-house product since they also sell 'Mission' wholemeal bread and various cakes and so forth.

On closer inspection it says this on the label.

Mission Health Foods Company Limited

19/10 Moo 10, Koo Bang Luang, Lad Lum Kaew, Pathumthani 12140.

tel: 0-2598-3812-3 fax: 0-2598-3814

I need a magnifying glass to read it :D

PS - I am a Brit, introduced to peanut butter by an American chum. Very Tasty !

Edited by AjarnChan

Yes, I had just assumed they were another food company somewhere. But then after Jing posted their web site address, I was reading about the company, and they have a peculiar, interesting history, as explained there... relating to Mission Hospital... Not quite sure I fully understand it.

But, their peanut butter is/was good...and always sold at a good price, much better than the big-name international brands.... I'll be interested to hear what response I get back from the company....

Sorry to hear that, Jing...

fyi... I've yet to receive any response to the query I sent to Mission via the "Contact Us" link on their web page.

Yesterday, I happened to be stopping by a Top's Market here in BKK...and the same as everywhere else... no Mission Peanut Butter to be found on the store shelves there either...

Beginning to think there's an anti-farang peanut butter conspiracy afoot here.... :)

There's a market opening. Take over from where Mission left off.

If there is no motivation to do that, and you just HAVE to have it....make your own substitute: Home made peanut butter is not only cheap, but soooooo easy to do.

Beginning to think there's an anti-farang peanut butter conspiracy afoot here.... :D

agree, one of my favourite drinks disappeared some time ago too, it was the 1 liter brick box from Unif, a sweet green tea, i can't find it anywhere anymore, i guess it all went peanuts :)

There's a market opening. Take over from where Mission left off.

If there is no motivation to do that, and you just HAVE to have it....make your own substitute: Home made peanut butter is not only cheap, but soooooo easy to do.

Interesting idea!!! On my recent trip back to the U.S., I brought back my own large and small sized electric food processors, now suitably installed here at home.

In the week since I've been back to BKK, I've already been using them to make my own homemade hummus dip, which is healthy and tastes great, instead of buying it from a local restaurant.

Substitute peanuts for garbanzo beans, and voila... peanut butter.

But I've never done that or researched it before... All I know is, around my home here in BKK, there are always guys in the street selling in-shell peanuts. But the one time I tried them, they were soggy and soft... clearly not dry roasted.

Anyone want to chime in with tips on where to buy the right kind of peanuts here, and what recipe to use for a food processor. Having homemade peanut butter without all the oils and preservatives and chemicals might be kinda nice!!!!

PS - Just so people don't get the wrong idea here, commercial peanut butter is still widely available here thru brands like Jif and Skippy. But those versions are much more adulterated compared to the Mission brand, which was relatively more natural and wholesome. That and, the Skippy and Jif brands tend to be priced about 50% higher than was Mission was (wonder why???). That and, I believe, one or the other of the commercial brands available here was originating in China... Can you say, Melamine??? :)

PPS - What do Thais think about peanut butter??? Or is it just a farang thing???

Personally I still prefer Skippy Super Chunk... I actually tried Mission peanut butter once because it was on sale and obviously significantly cheaper - it was so bad I eventually tossed the entire jar. Perhaps it was more healthy and wholesome - but the taste was just not right.

I would be interested in trying JF's peanut butter if you use good roasted peanuts - what you're seeing on the street is the Thai style steamed peanuts, which are not to my liking either.

OT... your taste notwithstanding, a lot of the commercial peanut butter sold in the states is full of a lot of CRAP other than peanuts... (and the FDA approved portions of rat droppings, hairs, etc. etc..)

I used to buy an all natural brand back then that had only one ingredient... peanuts... It was much thicker and heavier than commercial stuff, didn't spread as nicely, and the nuts and oil separated out, so you had to restir it periodically.... but I always felt good eating it, and wish I could find or make something comparable here...

Ahh...I wondered what the Thai vendors here were doing with their peanuts... they looked good from the outside....but when I tried some.... YUCK!!!!!.... That's one Thai food custom I won't be adopting... steamed peanuts???? You gotta be sh--ing me..... :D

To make homemade pb here, I'm assuming one needs to start with good dry roasted peanuts.... I'll have to starting checking around for a good bulk source for those things...

Still looking for a recipe or advice from someone who's already done it... :)

OT... your taste notwithstanding, a lot of the commercial peanut butter sold in the states is full of a lot of CRAP other than peanuts... (and the FDA approved portions of rat droppings, hairs, etc. etc..)

I used to buy an all natural brand back then that had only one ingredient... peanuts... It was much thicker and heavier than commercial stuff, didn't spread as nicely, and the nuts and oil separated out, so you had to restir it periodically.... but I always felt good eating it, and wish I could find or make something comparable here...

Ahh...I wondered what the Thai vendors here were doing with their peanuts... they looked good from the outside....but when I tried some.... YUCK!!!!!.... That's one Thai food custom I won't be adopting... steamed peanuts???? You gotta be sh--ing me..... :D

To make homemade pb here, I'm assuming one needs to start with good dry roasted peanuts.... I'll have to starting checking around for a good bulk source for those things...

Still looking for a recipe or advice from someone who's already done it... :)

Haha... can't really argue with the full of crap... and I've had peanut butter in the States, all natural, which was simply fantastic - but Mission's was hard to palate... perhaps it was a bit stale, who knows, but I just couldn't eat it.

Steamed peanuts are actually not bad if they are freshly steamed... but it's also a bit of an acquired taste. Give me freshly roasted peanuts any day...

We have a health food store in Chiang Mai that makes organic peanut butter from fresh roasted peanuts with a little rice bran oil and sea salt. It is immediately refrigerated (as all peanut butter should be) and not overly expensive.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Makes 1/2 cup

• 2 cups roasted peanuts
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil or olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar

Pour 2 cups of roasted peanuts into a food processor bowl that has metal food processor blade attached.

1. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil. Cover the bowl with the food processor lid and chop up the peanuts continuously for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture forms a ball.
  2. Scrape down the food processor bowl, if needed, when processing the peanuts.
  3. Taste the freshly made peanut butter and add a touch of salt, if needed.
  4. Add small quantities of brown sugar or molasses for a sweeter taste.
  5. Spoon peanut butter into a jar and seal. Store in the refrigerator.

Oz

Yep, just pick-up a Jar of Skippy- extra Chunky at Big C(12oz) bt148, bit on the expensive side for this old Thailand Hand, but; doggone it is some good stuff when you add just a taste of Jam and or Jelly between two slices of Farmhouse Bread and WASH all down with a 12oz Pepsi or Coke :D:D:D:)

Khlon Toei Market, I live close to there, but Im sure you could find them on the street as well for "peanuts", couldn't resist...lol just taste check one before you buy it and dont buy them if they are in plastic bags....soggy yuck!

Oz

BTW forgot to say if you like chunky (I don't) add some chopped nuts AFTER the blend, so keep some for that....

Edited by ozsamurai

JFC... the best peanuts I have found I have found in bulk -- as well as cashews and almonds -- are at a baker's supply shop. Reasonably priced and unroasted, but I just 'roast' them a bit in my electric wok. A little oil and turn continuously. They crunch up when cool, then PB as above.

PPS - What do Thais think about peanut butter??? Or is it just a farang thing???

my seven y.o. niece loves the stuff...I prepare peanut butter on wheat toast (usually pick up both with other falang provisions at Foodland in BKK before driving back to Suphan from the airport) for us both when I come home on leave from working in the Middle East; it's sort of a bonding ritual...

Mission produce loads of variations. I always eat Mission Crunchy PB, ingredients (small print, back of jar) are Roasted Peanuts 99% and Salt 1%. No crap! For those of you whose eyes aren't quite as good as they used to be (or is it just that my arms are getting shorter?), you can identify the jar from the bigger print on the front - it says Natural at the top left and then in a wavy line at the bottom: No Cholesterol - No Preservatives - No Sugar Added.

It was available in the Central Food Hall in Central World last time I looked. The nearest substitute I have found when they are temporarily out of stock is Healthy Mate Unsweetened Extra Crunch, this is just as good but more expensive. Also, it is NOT IN THE PB SHELF AREA! It is on the Organic shelves.

I'll have a look next time I'm in the area and update the availability. I do find I get quite a lot of exercise running round different shops trying to eat healthily!

Whereabouts is your baker's supply shop... in BKK or elsewhere???

JFC... the best peanuts I have found I have found in bulk -- as well as cashews and almonds -- are at a baker's supply shop. Reasonably priced and unroasted, but I just 'roast' them a bit in my electric wok. A little oil and turn continuously. They crunch up when cool, then PB as above.

Mission produce loads of variations. I always eat Mission Crunchy PB, ingredients (small print, back of jar) are Roasted Peanuts 99% and Salt 1%. No crap! For those of you whose eyes aren't quite as good as they used to be (or is it just that my arms are getting shorter?), you can identify the jar from the bigger print on the front - it says Natural at the top left and then in a wavy line at the bottom: No Cholesterol - No Preservatives - No Sugar Added.

It was available in the Central Food Hall in Central World last time I looked. The nearest substitute I have found when they are temporarily out of stock is Healthy Mate Unsweetened Extra Crunch, this is just as good but more expensive. Also, it is NOT IN THE PB SHELF AREA! It is on the Organic shelves.

I'll have a look next time I'm in the area and update the availability. I do find I get quite a lot of exercise running round different shops trying to eat healthily!

Mission Crunchy Peanut Butter (no sugar)

(I still have some)

Peanuts 97.5 percent

VEGETABLE OIL 1.5 percent

Salt 1 percent

No cholesterol is NOT the same thing as no trans-fats.

Natural means NOTHING, that is MARKETING.

In the US, peanut butter can claim no trans fats and it is usually a LIE because they are legally allowed to say that if it is under a certain amount per SERVING.

If a peanut butter does not have a big pool of OIL at the top (in other words it comes mixed up) it does have trans fats.

Edited by Jingthing

You know...that raises an interesting question... See, talking about peanut butter opens all kinds of doors...

Back in the U.S., there are, depending on where you live, some pretty reliable retail markets for purchasing healthy foods, and of course tons of online/delivery options... Trader Joe's in California and Whole Foods Markets are among the prominent store retailers, and I'm sure there are other smaller regional outlets in other parts of the country...

But what about here in Thailand and Bangkok in particular??? I've yet to come across anything that comes close to being an overall source for healthy/health/natural foods. As Colin points out above, it seems you've gotta run here for this and there for that in order to find these kinds of things, and it's always a bit hit and miss as to whether a particular item is in stock...

Thus, anyone know of a good, overall source for health/healthy/natural foods products here in Thailand and BKK in particular???? Or failing that, what option would be as close as we can get???

Edited by jfchandler

If a peanut butter does not have a big pool of OIL at the top (in other words it comes mixed up) it does have trans fats.

There is a major brand that uses red palm oil which is saturated but quite healthy. You don't have to mix the oil in, but no trans fats.