Fertilizer Question

couple of quickies.

what's the difference between 15-15-15 and 16-16-16?

and what's the best "all purpose" fertilizer? i know this question has a very broad range of answers, but if you could buy just one, which one would you buy?

thanks in advance from a clueless gardener...

1 more percent of each N= nitrogen P= Potasium K= Potash

depends on price

the bigger the number the more active fertilizers.

so if you can ge 16-16-16 cheaper the 15-15-15, than that is a better deal.

depends on price

For the record, P=phosporus and K=potassium, also known as potash

15-15-15 or 16-16-16 should be a good general purpose chemical fertilizer to get you started while you start to build soil fertility with organic matter. Nutrients, especially nitrogen leech out of the topsoil with the heavy monsoon rains. It's best to have slow release activity from organic fertilizers; don't tell the guys on the organic gardening forum, but hey I just applied some NPK fertilizer today

All NPK fertilizers are not created equal, some have other nutrients in the formulation, some use various forms of nitrogen and other macronutrients. I used a 15-15-15 that has magnesium, calcium and sulfur components too. I used it on my lawn because I have trees planted in the lawn area that I wanted to give a boost. I think I paid about 550 baht for a 50kg sack. The brand is "Number 1". photo of bag attached.

The best general purpose fertilizer is manure, although sometimes not as easy to get and use as the chemical shortcut. Soil fertility is best achieved by building soil organic matter content through addition of compost, manure or growing "green manure". don

post-74166-1245854823_thumb.jpg

post-74166-1245854857_thumb.jpg

depends on price

For the record, P=phosporus and K=potassium, also known as potash

15-15-15 or 16-16-16 should be a good general purpose chemical fertilizer to get you started while you start to build soil fertility with organic matter. Nutrients, especially nitrogen leech out of the topsoil with the heavy monsoon rains. It's best to have slow release activity from organic fertilizers; don't tell the guys on the organic gardening forum, but hey I just applied some NPK fertilizer today

All NPK fertilizers are not created equal, some have other nutrients in the formulation, some use various forms of nitrogen and other macronutrients. I used a 15-15-15 that has magnesium, calcium and sulfur components too. I used it on my lawn because I have trees planted in the lawn area that I wanted to give a boost. I think I paid about 550 baht for a 50kg sack. The brand is "Number 1". photo of bag attached.

The best general purpose fertilizer is manure, although sometimes not as easy to get and use as the chemical shortcut. Soil fertility is best achieved by building soil organic matter content through addition of compost, manure or growing "green manure". don

error on price: I checked receipt and I was charged for a different product. 3x15 is now over 1000 baht per 50kg.

• 3 weeks later...
god i love this forum.....

thanks guys for your help.

FWIW you can save some dollars on NPK by mixing with organic soil conditioner (not just any one) and do bio-chemical fertilizing.

U use less NPK overall as the soil conditioner makes the NPK more "efficient" by converting more of it into plant available form

You basically replace 3 to 4 bags of NPK with $20 worth of soil conditioner.

Added bonuses are u limit further chemical imbalance in the soil and you will probably end up with better fruit/yield to boot.

Not much harm in trying it...