Carrying Prescibed Morphine Into Thailand

ELVIS790

I made and earlier post asking advice regarding the rules of bringing morphine into thailand for my illness. The last thing i want is to spend weeks in a detention cell awaiting deportation, so i mailed tha thai consulate in Hull, i really shouldnt have bothered, amazingly, or rather not, the way they have sat on the fence on this beggers belief. They may aswell have said, 50/50 depends who is on when ya land........this is the mail i sent, followed by their reply.

I shall be travelling to thailand in the next few weeks, hopefully on a multiple 90 day visa.

Ive traveeled to thailand over 20 times over the last 12 years. I couldnt go last year as me illness turned worse and i developed cronic pancreatitus. The pain is only controlled by 40-90mg m.s.t. (morphine slow release) twice a day. Plus oramorph for breakthrough pain, to be taken as and when required. I usually have 300ml per month.

What if any documents do i bring with me so that i dont get arrested and how much?. Do i bring enough for for a month untill i find a thai doctor?if so what documents would be needed.

Im very concerned as the last thing i want is to spend time in a cell and even be deported.

Yours faithfully......mr scott.

Reply::

Royal Thai Consulate

Priory Court Saxon Way Priory Park West

Hessle HULL HU13 9PB

Tel: 01482 581668 Fax 01482 628877

Email: [email protected] Website: www.thaiconsul.co.uk

<h1 style="text-align: center;" align="center">TAKING PRESCRIBED DRUGS TO THAILAND</h1>

The following is given as a guideline only. This office does not accept any liability whatsoever should any traveller to or in Thailand be apprehended at any time in connection with the carrying of anything which the Thai authorities may regard as an illegal drug.

The Thai authorities understand that some foreigners visiting Thailand are on prescribed drugs and provided those travellers follow certain guidelines they should not encounter any problems with the Thai authorities. It should also be understood that such a person could, on returning to the UK, encounter problems with the UK authorities in respect of any prescribed drugs which they may bring home with them, including the residue of any drugs which they took away with them.

It is important that such travellers can clearly show that any drug(s) which they possess has/have been prescribed to them by a qualified and registered General Practitioner.

It is recommended that such persons obtain from their GP a letter stating that the

drug(s) they are carrying with them has/have been prescribed for them by their GP

strictly for medical reasons.

It is also recommended that such travellers should, if required during the flight,

carry all such drugs, syringes, etc with them in their hand baggage. Please note that you may have to comply with air traffic regulations which may restrict what you are allowed to carry in hand luggage.

Please ensure you keep your GP’s letter with you at all times including when you

return to the UK in case you are challenged by any authorities.

With regard to standard products which can be bought on the high street you are

advised to carry only products with internationally recognised names.

Bj 01/Sep/2008